Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Childress Press conference

"Mr" wrote:
    I like what I hear. I still think we need someone to call the plays, but from what I read, it doesn't seem like he is going to make any big changes on defense, and he is content with the offensive line for the most part. It also sounds like we will be keeping Napoleon Harris. I also think Tomlin will not be going anywhere.

I still have a few questions about him though.

What does he mean by "selfish with our draft picks"?

Why does it make a difference if a 28 year old man is "supervised" or not? I think he's alright on his own.

Overall this press conference gives me a lot more confidence in Childress.

I don't think we will be keeping many of our WRs, McMullen and Taylor are FAs.

The only returning guy in our WR corps will probably be, unfortunately, Troy. Which makes me sincerely hope we draft Calvin Johnson or Dwayne Jarrett.Is there any news on either of these guys declaring?
    I think the selfish thing about the draft picks means we are not looking to trade up.

Or, if we do, we get the better end of the deal.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

I think the selfish thing means that he won't trade them in FA for a player.
    Rather he will keep our high round picks for some draft choices
    that will be future starters
    for the Vikes.
    Kind of like he has a 3 yr building plan.

WWBGD

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    I didn't see it the same way.

He pointed out 'his guys', the free agents and draft choices did well.

He said the system was fine but he needed to call better plays. And the plays need to be executed better.(Nothing could be more obvious).

He said he planned to continue calling plays.

He said he would consider having an assistant head coach if Wilf wanted it.

I'm optomistic that Childress can get us there next year. But I don't see anything sign of great change in this press conference.

I agree. I watched this live and literally laughed out loud that he only gave guys that he's brought in a "pat on the back". Oh, and the one's he gave contract extensions to. Even Dwiight Smith.

This press conference has to be in print somewhere (or better yet, video?)

I though Childress came across more like a dog with his tail between his legs that's about to be scolded.

However, I thought the media was pretty easy on him. Straight forward, not really a surprise to any of the questions. Except, maybe the one where someone ask for names of the players that he's thinking about releasing ... even the rest of the media laughed about that one.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The print and audio is available at www.vikings.com.
    They will replay the video on FSN North.

I watched it too, and personally I didn't get a positive vibe or negative vibe.
    When he was pointing out that the FA and draft went well he was talking about building a foundation.
    It made sense.
    And for the most part the FAs and draft picks did do pretty well, so why not mention it?

I don't know, but it seems like some people are reading too much into this.
    People that have already made up their minds about Childress are putting their own spin on it, positive or negative.
    I am undecided, so maybe that is why is seemed neither to me.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:

When he was pointing out that the FA and draft went well he was talking about building a foundation.
    It made sense.
    And for the most part the FAs and draft picks did do pretty well, so why not mention it?

People that have already made up their minds about Childress are putting their own spin on it, positive or negative.
    I can definitely agree with that. I just think that PPeopleE chuched it up a little
    and everyone was oohhin' and ahhhin'.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

It made sense.

I can definitely agree with that. I just think that PPeopleE chuched it up a little
    I just gave a recap of what I read. I expected most people would have read the actual PC. Interpret it however you want, I see it as a positive.

I hope his conciderations of not calling plays goes through, I think there are better people that could call the plays.

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    http://vikings.com/news_detail_objectname_ChildressPC01207.html

A lot of interesting stuff said. Stuff that makes me optimistic.

Just a recap

Childress said that Brooks and Tarvaris will be competing for the starting job next year. Brad Johnson will be kept as a mentor/backup if he wants to stay but he wont keep him here against his will.

He stated that Travis Taylor was with his mom during the incident the other day and stated that it was "supervised". Take that for what its worth.

He said that We will be looking at every position except for quarterback at our #7 draft pick and we will also be very selfish with our draft picks as we would like to build towards the future with the draft.

He will consider giving up playcalling duties and he wishes that he did a better job at that part of the game and that it falls on his shoulders.

He will consider hiring another assistant.

We will be hitting the free agent market looking to bring in quality players at every position.

He feels that he needs to communicate with his players on a first person basis more often.

It's like a different person was talking at the PC. Great news, all of it. Really got my hopes up about next year. This is a stand up guy who takes the blame on his shoulders and most people can't see that. Now let's see if he changes anything.

Childress said he was going to consider giving up play calling? AND admits he didn't do the greatest job? Wow. New hope. But I have to see it to believe it. Communication..that's a must. I hope it all happens.

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

It made sense.

I just gave a recap of what I read. I expected most people would have read the actual PC. Interpret it however you want, I see it as a positive.

Sorry, I didn't notice the link at the top of your post. My bad. I thought you watched it on TV and just started typing.

im pretty sure T-JACK will be the QB next year based on this PC. if it is between him and bollinger, tjack will start. he also said something about only having 2 qb's if brad johnson decides not to come back. not sure how that ones going to work out if there is an injury but we'll see
    "God has blessed me tremendously. I'd be a fool to complain."
    "From what I understand, the coaches will put the best 11 on the field."
    -Tyrell Johnson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast