Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Childress Press conference

http://vikings.com/news_detail_objectname_ChildressPC01207.html

A lot of interesting stuff said. Stuff that makes me optimistic.

Just a recap

Childress said that Brooks and Tarvaris will be competing for the starting job next year. Brad Johnson will be kept as a mentor/backup if he wants to stay but he wont keep him here against his will.

He stated that Travis Taylor was with his mom during the incident the other day and stated that it was "supervised". Take that for what its worth.

He said that We will be looking at every position except for quarterback at our #7 draft pick and we will also be very selfish with our draft picks as we would like to build towards the future with the draft.

He will consider giving up playcalling duties and he wishes that he did a better job at that part of the game and that it falls on his shoulders.

He will consider hiring another assistant.

We will be hitting the free agent market looking to bring in quality players at every position.

He feels that he needs to communicate with his players on a first person basis more often.

It's like a different person was talking at the PC. Great news, all of it. Really got my hopes up about next year. This is a stand up guy who takes the blame on his shoulders and most people can't see that. Now let's see if he changes anything.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Childress Press conference

If he comes through on what he says, then this just goes to show that he CAN change. I still think he can put us at the top of the league if we give him another year or two.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Seemed that he has learned really much in his first year..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

MVIKING7 is offline Pro-Bowler

Everything "sounds " good, but it's nothing that hasn't been said before. They have sooo much money under the cap, this team should be overflowing with proven veteran players. I for one am disappointed about the decision to not look at the QB position. I'm not one who is on the "T-Jack" bandwagon. IMO the guy is a good 2nd at best, but not the "take you to the promise land" type. And I will say a novina tonight, and pray that this Moss rumor is just that. Talent or not, the guy is a cancer for a team, and admittedly doesn't give 100%. I was really sorry to hear about Jimmy Kleinsasser. Guy is a gamer, and always did anything asked of him.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Thanks for the recap PPE.

I like it.
    I think it shows us that Brad is a guy who is willing to listen to the criticism and that he is not a bullheaded as we thought.
    It's a good thing that he is willing to change for the best interests of the team.

I am a Childress supporter for one.
    Its a tough gig winning in the NFL.
    Hell, it was his first year...just like TJack.
    He took his lumps and he now has something to go on.

See, football is such a dynamic sport.
    Not only is it the ultimate team sport.
    But, it is a great sport because you can learn so much by you failures and mistakes.
    Even when I coach on the youth level I learn more in a loss than any other time.
    Losing fuels my fire and makes me more determined to succeed as a "team".

1800CULPEPPER is offline Starter

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Thanks for the recap PPE.

I like it.
    I think it shows us that Brad is a guy who is willing to listen to the criticism and that he is not a bullheaded as we thought.
    It's a good thing that he is willing to change for the best interests of the team.

I am a Childress supporter for one.
    Its a tough gig winning in the NFL.
    Hell, it was his first year...just like TJack.
    He took his lumps and he now has something to go on.

See, football is such a dynamic sport.
    Not only is it the ultimate team sport.
    But, it is a great sport because you can learn so much by you failures and mistakes.
    Even when I coach on the youth level I learn more in a loss than any other time.
    Losing fuels my fire and makes me more determined to succeed as a "team".
    He reads all the posts on PP.O I heard that one of us is Chilly!
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it!!

PurpleGator is offline Hall of Famer

I like what he said except for not looking for a QB.
    I really think we need to look for a QB.
    Tjack and Bollinger don't thrill me to much.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

I didn't see it the same way.

He pointed out 'his guys', the free agents and draft choices did well.

He said the system was fine but he needed to call better plays. And the plays need to be executed better.(Nothing could be more obvious).

He said he planned to continue calling plays.

He said he would consider having an assistant head coach if Wilf wanted it.

I'm optomistic that Childress can get us there next year. But I don't see anything sign of great change in this press conference.

What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

I like what I hear. I still think we need someone to call the plays, but from what I read, it doesn't seem like he is going to make any big changes on defense, and he is content with the offensive line for the most part. It also sounds like we will be keeping Napoleon Harris. I also think Tomlin will not be going anywhere.

I still have a few questions about him though.

What does he mean by "selfish with our draft picks"?

Why does it make a difference if a 28 year old man is "supervised" or not? I think he's alright on his own.

Overall this press conference gives me a lot more confidence in Childress.

I don't think we will be keeping many of our WRs, McMullen and Taylor are FAs.

The only returning guy in our WR corps will probably be, unfortunately, Troy. Which makes me sincerely hope we draft Calvin Johnson or Dwayne Jarrett.Is there any news on either of these guys declaring?

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Well that was a little comforting... If he can come out and say that he wished he would have done a better job at calling plays, then he at least knows that he failed in that category.. By him saying that he may bring in another assistant, speaks volumes..

Looking hard at every position in FA makes all the sense in the world.. I think with the way the Vikes approached FA last season, we have nothing to worry about there.. Thank god the Red McCombs era in Minnesota is over..

Its no surprise that he said that Jackson,a nd Bollinger will battle it out for the starting position.. He also said that he will look at all positions in FA.. I think they will look at bringing in another veteran QB just in case..

It makes alot of sense to not waste out first pick on a QB.. Good thing he stated that much.. This is good news from the views of all Viking fans..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast