singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Childress Press Conference - 11/26/2007

[size=13pt]Quotes From Winter Park[/size]

vikings.com

11/26/2007

Head Coach Brad Childress

OK, current injuries, Tank Williams, with that knee that he sprained, had an MRI this morning and has an injury to it, a mild sprain of the MCL....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Childress Press Conference - 11/26/2007

Very nice read my friend.

Something in here that kindof solidifies, at least in my mind, some of the discussions we have been having in the Scheme Change thread.

The stuff has been there or has been in the scheme, the players and coaches are just executing.

For some reason there is a bit of confusion on the fact that they have been trying to run this stuff for a while or they just started.

IMHO, from what I watch during the game they have been doing most of this stuff since the Lions game.

Q: Ideally in the Tampa 2 scheme you want to get pressure with that front four, but in three out of the last four games you have brought a lot of pressure with blitzes. Is this a defense starting to find it’s identity through that and not just being a base Tampa 2 defense?

A: Yeah.
    Once again I think it gets put in that Tampa 2 family, whether you are watching Monte Kiffin’s Tampa 2 defense at Tampa. As I mentioned to you last year only 33 percent of the time were we in our Tampa 2. So if we are a 66 percent else something you might say that Tampa 2 is only a third of it.
    I am pretty good with percentages, you know. (laughter).
    You know what I mean.
    That’s the house that it falls under, but there is plenty of single safety, there is plenty of fire zone, there is plenty of three deep, there is plenty of man-to-man.
    I just think you are just still finding out what people can do and I think Les (Leslie Frazier) and the defensive staff did a great job of scheming this last week.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:

Something in here that kindof solidifies, at least in my mind, some of the discussions we have been having in the Scheme Change thread.

The stuff has been there or has been in the scheme, the players and coaches are just executing.

For some reason there is a bit of confusion on the fact that they have been trying to run this stuff for a while or they just started.

IMHO, from what I watch during the game they have been doing most of this stuff since the Lions game.

Q: Ideally in the Tampa 2 scheme you want to get pressure with that front four, but in three out of the last four games you have brought a lot of pressure with blitzes. Is this a defense starting to find it’s identity through that and not just being a base Tampa 2 defense?

Once again I think it gets put in that Tampa 2 family, whether you are watching Monte Kiffin’s Tampa 2 defense at Tampa. As I mentioned to you last year only 33 percent of the time were we in our Tampa 2. So if we are a 66 percent else something you might say that Tampa 2 is only a third of it.
    You know what I mean.
    That’s the house that it falls under, but there is plenty of single safety, there is plenty of fire zone, there is plenty of three deep, there is plenty of man-to-man. I just think you are just still finding out what people can do and I think Les (Leslie Frazier) and the defensive staff did a great job of scheming this last week.
    I don't think there is confusion of anything except terminology. the last line says just what people are saying in that they are making adjustments to the defensive sets that they are running as they find out which ones best suit our players.

The prevailing opinion was that the staff was using the sets that were not the ones best suited to the talent and that they were not making those changes that they are now.

many times those adjustments may be as simple as moving a LB or a safety a few yards in one direction or another to put them in a better position. For instance (Hypothetically) if they were lining Winfield up 12 yards off the line of scrimmage and they noticed that he was having too many plays completed in front of him, a change in the scheme, adjustment or whatever you call it might be to line him up 6 yards off the line of scrimmage. then when he gets burned on a deep route because he was too close, then they may finally settle on placing him 9 yards off the line which turned out to be the best balance for a guy of his speed to minimize the short and long passes completed against him.( Keep in mind this was an example and not what I actually think they did with him)

What was perceived to have happened is that the coaches put him at 12 yards and kept him there feeling that 12 yards was the proper place and expecting him to either get better at that distance or replace him with someone who could perform at 12 yards from the line.

Now whether or not that was the case, I feel that the last part summarizes what many of the unhappy fans felt was happening and the former part was what they wanted to happen. Whether that is called a change in scheme or an adjustment can be argued but in the end it is what they were looking for.

Also, there are times when the team runs zone and times when they run man. Now, if there are times when the players feel they should be in man and not zone and the coaches listen and the defense gets better because of it, that can be called an adjustment to the scheme because they take a formation they originally used for a particular situation and replace it with another formation for the same situation. Call it what you want, just be happy it is being done and is working so far.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

You know what I mean.
    That’s the house that it falls under, but there is plenty of single safety, there is plenty of fire zone, there is plenty of three deep, there is plenty of man-to-man. I just think you are just still finding out what people can do and I think Les (Leslie Frazier) and the defensive staff did a great job of scheming this last week.
    I don't think there is confusion of anything except terminology. the last line says just what people are saying in that they are making adjustments to the defensive sets that they are running as they find out which ones best suit our players.

The prevailing opinion was that the staff was using the sets that were not the ones best suited to the talent and that they were not making those changes that they are now.

many times those adjustments may be as simple as moving a LB or a safety a few yards in one direction or another to put them in a better position. For instance (Hypothetically) if they were lining Winfield up 12 yards off the line of scrimmage and they noticed that he was having too many plays completed in front of him, a change in the scheme, adjustment or whatever you call it might be to line him up 6 yards off the line of scrimmage. then when he gets burned on a deep route because he was too close, then they may finally settle on placing him 9 yards off the line which turned out to be the best balance for a guy of his speed to minimize the short and long passes completed against him.( Keep in mind this was an example and not what I actually think they did with him)

What was perceived to have happened is that the coaches put him at 12 yards and kept him there feeling that 12 yards was the proper place and expecting him to either get better at that distance or replace him with someone who could perform at 12 yards from the line.

Now whether or not that was the case, I feel that the last part summarizes what many of the unhappy fans felt was happening and the former part was what they wanted to happen. Whether that is called a change in scheme or an adjustment can be argued but in the end it is what they were looking for.

Also, there are times when the team runs zone and times when they run man. Now, if there are times when the players feel they should be in man and not zone and the coaches listen and the defense gets better because of it, that can be called an adjustment to the scheme because they take a formation they originally used for a particular situation and replace it with another formation for the same situation. Call it what you want, just be happy it is being done and is working so far.
    A very well thought out post.

I call it adjustments and not scheme changes.
    I also contend that as the year goes on and the team progresses we will see more of the playbook opened up.

Some will call that Scheme changes as well. I will still call it what the NFL calls it and that is "Opening the Playbook.

Your last sentence says it all with one concern/caveat.

Lets just be glad we don't have to face another QB that can exploit our inability to put pressure on him without the aid of alot of LB blitzing.
    We might see another 43-0 score and a bunch of people claiming the scheme sucks because he could expose the openings in our defense with TE's and WR's doing slants and crossing patters that normally would be covered by the LB'rs who are now blitzing the QB.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=13pt]Childress says the team isn't looking to playoffs[/size]

By Regina McCombs
    startribune.com

November 26, 2007

Vikings coach Brad Childress said Monday at a press conference that he's confident that Adrian Peterson will play against the Lions, and that the team isn't looking any further forward than that....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

damn that video is 20 minutes long, have it playing in the background instead of reading all of it :P

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

btw heres a quote from the text
    I thought defensively that they did some good things communicating after that first series and getting some things straightened out on that side. I thought they did a good job of blending their looks and mixing their looks against Eli and that offense.

In the video he says Peyton

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese