Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Childress Pleased with WR, TE Progress

[size=18px]Childress Pleased with WR, TE Progress [/size]

By: Scout.com

Date: Jul 3, 2006

At the conclusion of the Vikings’ extensive offseason program, with additional practices because of a new coaching staff, new head coach Brad Childress thought the wide receivers and tight ends were adjusting nicely to the concepts of the West Coast offense being implemented.

The Vikings completed their offseason program almost two weeks ago at their Winter Park facility in Eden Prairie.

First-year coach Brad Childress — who is overseeing the installation of both a new offense (West Coast) and defense (Tampa-2) — seemed pleased after three minicamps and two weeks of Organized Team Activities.

“I think they have done a lot in terms of learning,” he said. “I’ve seen great progress. ... I’ve seen particularly wide receivers and tight ends improving in understanding conceptually what it is we are trying to do and them using freedom and their athletic ability and being able to wiggle themselves open.

“Now it all goes to another level when somebody is hitting you in the throat and you’re trying to think about what you’re supposed to be doing.”

Both offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin stressed there remains plenty of work for players when they arrive at training camp late next month in Mankato, Minn. “You start over from scratch and keep building on it everyday,” Bevell said.

Childress, of course, has plenty to do with the adjustment to the West Coast system. The former Philadelphia offensive coordinator will call plays in Minnesota, just as his ex-boss, Andy Reid, did with the Eagles.

Tomlin, meanwhile, has been working on getting the defense to adjust to a scheme that has been successful in Tampa Bay for many years and also is used by the Vikings’ NFC North rival, Chicago.

“I’m very pleased but at the same time we realize that we have a lot of work to do,” Tomlin said. “Football is a game that is played in pads. What we’ve been able to do in terms of the structure of the offseason has been good but we have miles to go in terms of being football ready.”

For now, though, Childress wants his players to get away from football and enjoy some free time before the long season begins.

“I think somewhere you have to get away and you have to get your mind fresh,” he said. “You know what you know. I don’t think the blackboard will get erased here. ... They’ve had a great offseason in terms of work. They have to get their minds right and get their bodies right because we start a marathon on July 27.”

Childress Pleased with WR, TE Progress

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Childress Pleased with WR, TE Progress

They have to get their minds right and get their bodies right because we start a marathon on July 27.”
    Did Zygi fix the AC in the indoor practice facility? I think they are gonna need it the way this team is gonna be worked! :???:

I think Tomlin is gonna be a GREAT coach, too!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    They have to get their minds right and get their bodies right because we start a marathon on July 27.”
    Did Zygi fix the AC in the indoor practice facility? I think they are gonna need it the way this team is gonna be worked! :???:

As I recall, one of the 1st things he did was stick a $100,00 for A/C in the locker rooms last year.

"COJOMAY" wrote:

here's one link I found;

To his credit, Wilf has attempted to throw money at some of the Vikings' problems. Early on, he spent $100,000 to fix the air conditioning in the locker room and added people to the front office. When the Vikings' training camp partners wanted to charge fans to watch practice sessions in Mankato, Wilf objected and contributed the $100,000 difference.

Issues keep mounting in Minnesota

And here's another. It sounds like the entire A/C system was fixed, but the locker rooms were the primary target.

They have replaced the air conditioning system for the team complex which hasn't worked in the locker room area of Winter Park for the past 3 years.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

My bad -- I was thinking of the indoor practice facility at Winter Park. I think they did AC that. But there is no indoor facility at Mankato I don't believe. So it looks like they are just gonna have to beat the heat other ways.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    My bad -- I was thinking of the indoor practice facility at Winter Park. I think they did AC that. But there is no indoor facility at Mankato I don't believe. So it looks like they are just gonna have to beat the heat other ways.
    I don't think they have an indoor practice field at Mankato either, but I thought he refurbished the dorms & the A/C there & also.

What bothers me the most is the constant "we've made progress, but we've got a long way to go" talk.

It gives me the impression that we might not be clicking as a team until mid-season, with the first part of the season still being a learning curve.

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

Your right singer...darn everytime we read it like...progress, but we need more...i think it relatively is gonna be a good year, but i dont like it when they sugar coat things
    If i dont make sense let me know..i just woke up?? ROFL

"nephilimstorm" wrote:
    Your right singer...darn everytime we read it like...progress, but we need more...i think it relatively is gonna be a good year, but i dont like it when they sugar coat things
    If i dont make sense let me know..i just woke up?? ROFL
    I don't think they are sugar coating it. It's pretty clear that we need to make a lot more progress to be where we need to be.

There's both a new offense & defense to learn & I'm just hoping we are "where we need to be" by week 1 of the regular season.

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Beat the heat in Minnesota? Imagine it down south.. Texas, Louisianna, Georgia, Florida, Arizona...

But seriously.. I think our tandom TE's are going to pose an extreme threat in the middle of the field. Klein and Wiggy.. WOW! (I've always believed wiggy was under appreciated)

With our TE's being a formitable force. That will force our opponents to cover them and the WR's, and backs.. So they can either cover one of the three realy hard, opening up the other two... Or try to cover all three weakly, making short gain plays easy.

Yea!! I bet the vikes get a lot of credit for Wiggy and Klein.. GO TE's!
    i m better than you, so just give up...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast