Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Re: Childress' playcalling

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Even though I quoted you, I wasn't calling you out.
    Most of us, probably all of us, are frustrated with the O.
    I just gave the real reason as to why this is happening.
    I'm calling YOU out!

Yeah, YOU, Mr. Prophet-man!

=Z=
    I am omnipresent, so you're wasting your efforts.
    We geniuses waste no effort.
    You can be sure there is a nefarious plan behind anything I do.

Or a deal to get a free snack cake.

=Z=
    If you talk to 6 he may send you some excess tater milk so you can wash down the snack cake.

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

Prophet, my point was the fact that it may be considered a "good move" to run on 3rd and 8 to catch the defense off gaurd, but when it is a down that SHOULD be made (i.e. a 3rd n 1 with chestor having a great day) than that should be the obvious chioce regardless of what the defense is suggesting or how many men are stacked in the box. its not the genious of fakeing the other team out, its smash-mouth football that the vikes are made for IMO.

my example could be the steelers when the bus was in his prime. granted we dont have jerome, but the piont being, you knew they were going to run the ball. right down the opposing teams throats. and there was nothing those teams could do about it. just how demoralizing that was to the defense was evident.

and if i remember right, not many inside slants or TE drags or w/e were used, but little checkdowns to mewelde that got the vikings nowhere. was it good coverage by the lions, maybe, but thats the OC and HC job to make stuff happen. unlike alot of people think on the boards, i doubt its brad thats being hesitant to put it in there.

Prophet Guest

Great example, the Bus demoralizing teams when they knew what was happening.
    Most of us have watched all the games at least once and we have all kind of speculation as to why didn't they call this play or that play.
    I don't know.
    A summary of the opinions as to why we have the offensive woes usually comes down to one of these topics:

1. QB
    2. O-line
    3. WRs can't catch/run routes
    4. Play calling (HC vs OC)
    5. Newness of coaching staff/schemes

There are some more potential explanations but the more I think about it it appears that we are overanalyzing some of these points to no avail.
    If I had to rank a hierarchichal ranking of offensive problems I would go with this ranking biggest problem to smallest:

4, 5, 3, 2, 1.
    Probably a combination of these.
    I'm going with time alone will solve many of the problems.
    Why?
    I'm confident in the determination and abilities of the coaching staff.
    They are watching game film and breaking everything down and coming up with a plan.
    Our coaching staff has a hunger for the game that is deeper than ours.
    They will get the job done.
    I am confident in that.
    Many of our problems are perceived due to young fans wanting instant gratification and success.
    That is how I see it.

Just my 2 cents that I wrote on another thread....
    but probably belongs here instead...

Note to Coach Childress - The experiment should be over....maybe there was a reason that Coach Reid called the plays in Philly....
    It is time to hand over the play calling to the O-Coordinator that you brought in and trust him to do the job!
    You have enough on your plate in making sure everyone else is prepared for Sundays....
    it is NOT a slap in the face to admit that your play calling leaves something to be desired....
    Man up and trust your coaches!

Two weeks to prepare for the next game....maybe the success we have enjoyed on our first series each week can extend to the first half...not just one series!
    Also, time to practice the jump ball in the corner to M. Robinson....
    I still havent seen the 5'8" DB that is going to outjump him in the corner.....
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

Big C is offline Coordinator

I am fine with the playcalling EXCEPT on 3rd down. We have this stupid philosohy of going long on 3rd and short and going short on 3rd and long. I also don't understand why we don't put Troy on a few more crossing patterns. If we can get him the ball in stride he will pick up some yards.

I live in Chicago. I hate to say it but our offense looks like the pathetic Bears offense from a few years ago. Strong running game, inconsistent WRs and short play calls on third and long.

Things are just not clicking in the passing game. BJ doesn't look as sharp as he did beginning of the season. Troy has trouble making some difficult catches. He has to make SOME of them. Not all. Taylor kicks ass but fumbles the ball. Robinson is not being used enough for some reason. mcmullen sure doesn't get a lot of plays for a guy who "Knows the system".
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

vikingbill50 is offline Starter

it was really nice to see hank baskett, the wide reciver we traded for mullenhead have another great game, seems like it was a good trade but not for us, still dont know why carter isnt playin, even tho he is a rookie, so is baskett and couldnt do any worse
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

i agree prophet, im so glad we have the seahawks after a bye. it seems our scripted offense is amazing.
    ;D

to review your pionts, or over analyze them to no avail

1) QB- brad johnson is definately not our problems, unlike that joke thread seems to think. he might be hesitant, but i seriously doubt it like i previously stated. if anything he has saved us where culpepper wouldve killed us.

2)Oline- our oline played very well it seemed against the lions, but the unit needs to keep steping it up, but i dont see them as our problem. how they could be affecting our plays could be by not giving brad enough time, yet another possibilty.

3) WRs cant catch- that seems to be troys downside, but our receivers arent anything special. not saying they shouldnt be expected to exceed in the WCO, but our product is only equal to what our reactants are. chemistry, blah.

4) Play calling- one of my main points, but if a team runs a play correctly and to its full potential then you're good. its how efficiently you run plays, which could fall to our OC. then i go to point #5.

5) new coaches- i realize we have a BUNCH of new coaches, and that will eventually get better with time as they have gotten their feet wet for their first 5 games of the season. however, unlike the tice era, we have...good coaches. i agree that they can get the job done. except for you, ST coach. im still skeptical about you.

6) All new schemes- a point i think you combined with another, but a point that could very well be the answer to our offensive woes. we also have many new starters that do need to gel. alot of people think the gelling is over, but chemistry takes alot longer than just a few games. thats 11 guys that have to figure each other out.

a few optimistic points toward a new, exciting vikings season!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"vikingbill50" wrote:
    it was really nice to see hank baskett, the wide reciver we traded for mullenhead have another great game, seems like it was a good trade but not for us, still dont know why carter isnt playin, even tho he is a rookie, so is baskett and couldnt do any worse

He has had 1 great game other than that his stats are about identical to McMullen's and in the thread comparing the 2 I didn't bother to mention the 3 passes that Baskett dropped yesterday, and if you take away the 87 yarder for a TD he had 2 receptions for 25 yards.

Lets Be more realistic!

By the way McMullen has caught every ball thrown his way and he has done everything the Vikes have asked!

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Prophet Guest

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "vikingbill50" wrote:

He has had 1 great game other than that his stats are about identical to McMullen's and in the thread comparing the 2 I didn't bother to mention the 3 passes that Baskett dropped yesterday, and if you take away the 87 yarder for a TD he had 2 receptions for 25 yards.

Lets Be more realistic!

By the way McMullen has caught every ball thrown his way and he has done everything the Vikes have asked!

The McMuffin/Baskett debate barely constitutes having it's own thread....now it's bleeding over into other threads....besides, Baskett wins, he has a better name and that is just as valid as comparing their stats over the course of a season in two completely different scenarios.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    ...Most teams dont have the speed to stop a guy like Williamson, but we still don't do it, if you know you have a guy who will run by a defender, and you don't get the ball to him, it's stupid...
    Confucius say, "Man that run fast but no catch does not a good receiver make".

I thought, Confucius say,

He with dirty jock, have stinky fingers, not sticky fingers....Which our recievers need right now..

;D

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast