Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

Childress' playcalling

When i was watching the over-hyped eagles vs. cowboys game, i noticed the play calls that reid was making. it was, unfortunatly, EXACTLY like childress descisions. reid refused to run it on 3rd n 1, and would slowly dink and dunk when it was 3rd and long. it showed in the offense, which played horribly. the numbers of the game look good for mcnabb, but they had so many 3rd downs they didnt convert. the only difference was childress didnt take hardly as many shots downfield, which is where the iggles got their points. their longest drive was just over 2 minutes. and the gameplan was obvious, but it was amazingly effective. ( they just attacked ellis at linebacker. he was slow and pathetic, just look how many times they ran to the right )

im sure childress is trying to duplicate the same ball club reid has constructed, but we hired Brad Childress, not andy reid. there are smart decisions, and then keeping the defense on their toes, but to run it on 3rd and forever or a check-down to mewelde doesnt seem like a logical choice. same goes for those short 3rd downs that chestor couldve easily made considering he had over a 120 yards on the day.

Prophet Guest

Re: Childress' playcalling

"vikes09" wrote:
    When i was watching the over-hyped eagles vs. cowboys game, i noticed the play calls that reid was making. it was, unfortunatly, EXACTLY like childress descisions. reid refused to run it on 3rd n 1, and would slowly dink and dunk when it was 3rd and long. it showed in the offense, which played horribly. the numbers of the game look good for mcnabb, but they had so many 3rd downs they didnt convert. the only difference was childress didnt take hardly as many shots downfield, which is where the iggles got their points. their longest drive was just over 2 minutes. and the gameplan was obvious, but it was amazingly effective. ( they just attacked ellis at linebacker. he was slow and pathetic, just look how many times they ran to the right )
    This supports the lack of a deep threat theory.
    McNabb was 18/33 for 354 yds and 2 TDs while spreading the ball around to seven receivers.

McNabb's passes (YAC not differentiated):

1. 24 yds
    2. 11 yds
    3. 7 yds
    4. 3 yds
    5. Inc.
    6. 7 yds
    7. Inc.
    8. 5 yds
    9. 18 yds
    10. 16 yds
    11. 60 yds
    12. Inc
    -1 yd
    14. Inc.
    15. 13 yds
    16. Inc.
    17. Inc.
    18. Inc.
    19. Inc.
    20. 1 yd
    21. Inc.
    22. 4 yds
    23. Inc.
    15 yds
    25. Inc.
    26. Inc.
    27. Inc.
    28. Inc.
    29. 24 yds
    30. 8 yds
    31. 40 yds
    32. 17 yds
    33. Inc.

Brad Johnson's passes (YAC not differentiated):

BJ was 26/34 for 201 yds 1 TD/ 1 INT while spreading the ball around to eight different receivers.

1. 9 yds
    2. 12 yds
    3. 7 yds
    4. Inc.
    5. 9 yds
    6. 13 yds
    7. 4 yds
    8. 7 yds
    9. 6 yds
    10. Inc.
    11. Inc.
    12. -1 yd
    13. Inc.
    14. 6 yds
    15. Inc.
    16. Inc.
    17. 8 yds
    18. 2 yds
    19. 8 yds
    20. 7 yds
    21. 8 yds
    22. Inc.
    23. 7 yds (fumbled)
    24. 6 yds
    25. 20 yds
    26. 3 yds
    27. 7 yds
    28. -2 yds
    29. 3 yds (TD)
    30. 9 yds
    31. 4 yds
    32. Inc.
    33. 21 yds
    34. 18 yds

It appears to me that Johnson was doing a decent job picking up reasonable yardage and the lack of the long ball was already obvious before breaking it down.
    The WR corps has not lived up to their end of the bargain and the conservative play calling is definitely a part of the equation.

im sure childress is trying to duplicate the same ball club reid has constructed, but we hired Brad Childress, not andy reid. there are smart decisions, and then keeping the defense on their toes, but to run it on 3rd and forever or a check-down to mewelde doesnt seem like a logical choice. same goes for those short 3rd downs that chestor couldve easily made considering he had over a 120 yards on the day.

People appear to be similar to their mentors until they begin to define their own personality.
    That is normal.

Third and short should be a running play most of the time, but in the WCO it is just as effective to do a quick slant.
    As an offshoot, I decided to post Chester's #'s by carry.
    He had 26 rushes for 123 yds.
    Nice day.

1. 3 yds
    2. 5 yds
    3. 28 yds
    4. 1 yd
    5. 8 yds
    6. 0 yds
    7. 2 yds
    8. 9 yds
    9. 4 yds
    10. 6 yds
    11. 4 yds
    12. 2 yds
    13. 0 yds
    14. 3 yds
    15. 4 yds
    16. 8 yds
    17. 2 yds
    18. 2 yds
    19. 5 yds
    20. 5 yds
    21. 5 yds
    22. 6 yds
    23. 6 yds
    24. 4 yds
    25. 2 yds
    26. -1 yd

Nice day for Chester.
    The WRs and playcalling need to step up.
    BJ needs to put some muscle in his passes and the play callers do need to get a few more long balls in the mix.

IFletcher is offline Waterboy

I think it'll come along somewhat.
    Johnson doesn't look comfortable for whatever reason, and as we all know, he has always liked to check down quickly and take the 4-5 yard completion when not comfortable.

Nice to see Chester look good again.
    He's never going to blow the doors off the opponent, but does look like he can be a competent back when given the necessary carries.

Hopefully as the offensive line continues to improve BOTH Childress and Brad Johnson will gain some confidence and start looking down the field a little more.
    Sincerely,
    IM Fletcher

I... can't figure out what I was doing in Utah this morning.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

If we are not going to use the deep ball AT ALL, we should atleast run some routes that might put our receivers in position for some YAC, we run the these out and back, and sideline routes, and they either go out of bounds or get tackled immediately, which is why I think Troy drops passes, he's afraid to get crushed. Do something, set a pick with the other receiver on crossing routes, or if there's a cushion run the kind of slants the Rams do to Torry Holt 40 times a game.

Don't run on 2nd and 1 if you're going to run on 3rd and 8, you might as well go deep if you have 2 and nothing, and you run on 3rd and long, why not run on 3rd and short if you don't complete the deep pass?

We're ridiculously conservative, and it makes the quarterback, receivers, and coach look stupid.

davike is offline Team Alumni

"Mr" wrote:
    If we are not going to use the deep ball AT ALL, we should atleast run some routes that might put our receivers in position for some YAC, we run the these out and back, and sideline routes, and they either go out of bounds or get tackled immediately, which is why I think Troy drops passes, he's afraid to get crushed. Do something, set a pick with the other receiver on crossing routes, or if there's a cushion run the kind of slants the Rams do to Torry Holt 40 times a game.

Don't run on 2nd and 1 if you're going to run on 3rd and 8, you might as well go deep if you have 2 and nothing, and you run on 3rd and long, why not run on 3rd and short if you don't complete the deep pass?

We're ridiculously conservative, and it makes the quarterback, receivers, and coach look stupid.

because typically all the teams would be kind of expecting you to go long on 2 and 1, so they would play a defense that would try to stop that....just an opinion, i could be completely wrong

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

One thing we shouldn't over look with a conservative offense is the time of possession.

Lions: 23:21 Vikings:36:39.

The conservative offense is keeping our defense off the field and the opponents' defense on.
    It wears them opp's D, and we tend to break more plays and runs out in the later part of the game.

Our defense has been amazing this year, and I think part of the reason for that is the fact that they aren't spending 3/4 of the time on the field like Vikings defenses under Tice and Green.

That being said, I would like to see a little less conservative play calling on offense.
    But I would still rather be a consertive 3-2 than a playmaking
    1-4 like last year...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    One thing we shouldn't over look with a conservative offense is the time of possession.

Lions: 23:21 Vikings:36:39.

The conservative offense is keeping our defense off the field and the opponents' defense on.
    It wears them opp's D, and we tend to break more plays and runs out in the later part of the game.

Our defense has been amazing this year, and I think part of the reason for that is the fact that they aren't spending 3/4 of the time on the field like Vikings defenses under Tice and Green.

That being said, I would like to see a little less conservative play calling on offense.
    But I would still rather be a consertive 3-2 than a playmaking
    1-4 like last year...
    The Time-of-possession was almost a direct opposite of last week, which I pointed to as the #1 reason we lost to the Bills.
    Control the ball, control the opponent.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"davike" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:

because typically all the teams would be kind of expecting you to go long on 2 and 1, so they would play a defense that would try to stop that....just an opinion, i could be completely wrong
    Well, if you have second and short several times during the game, and do the same exact thing everyime, the defense might try to stop that too, maybe they should throw a deep ball in there and catch the defense on their heels.

Most teams dont have the speed to stop a guy like Williamson, but we still don't do it, if you know you have a guy who will run by a defender, and you don't get the ball to him, it's stupid. It's like the Raiders not going to Moss, who had his 100th TD yesterday, caught the ball with his knees, Congratulations Randy Moss.

Prophet Guest

"Mr" wrote:
    ...Most teams dont have the speed to stop a guy like Williamson, but we still don't do it, if you know you have a guy who will run by a defender, and you don't get the ball to him, it's stupid...
    Confucius say, "Man that run fast but no catch does not a good receiver make".

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    ...Most teams dont have the speed to stop a guy like Williamson, but we still don't do it, if you know you have a guy who will run by a defender, and you don't get the ball to him, it's stupid...
    Confucius say, "Man that run fast but no catch does not a good receiver make".
    Shannon Sharpe says:
    "Defensive backs are wide receivers who can't catch."

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast