Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Childress plans for Saturday's game

From the Pioneer Press Blog

Vikings coach Brad Childress said the starters would play one quarter and a half Saturday in Pittsburgh against the Steelers. Also, Brad Johnson will be followed by rookie Tarvaris Jackson. Mike McMahon will play after them, and J.T. O'Sullivan will not play. Childress said its important for him to see Jackson with different personnel, and that Jackson is not necessarily the No. 2 quarterback.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Childress plans for Saturday's game

From the Star/Tribune Blog
    [size=14pt]Anybody want to talk about Pittsburgh?[/size]
    Thursday, August 17th, 2006 by Kevin Seifert

Brad Childress did today. He said that Brad Johnson, Tarvaris Jackson and Mike McMahon will split the quarterback duties Saturday night against the Steelers — in that order. Johnson will start and play into the second quarter, along with the rest of the Vikings starters, Childress said.

Childress cautioned against reading too much into Jackson being the first quarterback off the bench. He said earlier in camp that he wanted to see Jackson work with the second team because it is sometimes difficult to evaluate quarterbacks when they play with the third team. He is more familiar with McMahon and needs less evaluation time with him.

In other tidbits (some tiddier than others):

*Childress said he has “excused” Koren Robinson from team activities following his arrest Tuesday night for drunken driving and fleeing police. Childress said the length of Robinson’s absence has been left “open-ended.”

*Running back Mewelde Moore (knee) and kick returner Kevin Kasper (ankle) will not play against the Steelers. Neither will linebacker Marcus Lawrence (knee).

*The Vikings will have a mock game, closed to the public, tomorrow morning and then break training camp for good. They will resume practice at Winter Park on Monday.

Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I think our coach is just trying to be nice.. He probably already knows that T-Jack will be our backup to BJ, and O'Sucksalot will be released.. That means McMahon will be our #3 option..

I strongly believe that Tarvaris Jackson is much better then McMahon, and O'Sucksalot.. He can run, has one hell of an arm, and already seems to make good decisions.. He needs to be #2..

thevikingfan is offline Hall of Famer

i would probably agree with that.My money is on the fact that t-jack will be the backup to B.Johnson b4 the end of the preseason

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

Just what I thought he would do. Use the game to evalulate the second string, and let them get more practice together in a real game atmosphere. Good thinking, save the good stuff for the season!
    ;D
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I also think that TJ will end up with the backup role, but we should be careful not to jump to conclusions yet.
    TJ looked good against third strings in the Oakland game, while McMahon looked pitiful against the second strings.
    Now we have to see how they pperform with the roles reversed.
    If TJ still outshines McMahon, then I think the move will become more permanent.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Rastak is offline Rookie

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    I also think that TJ will end up with the backup role, but we should be careful not to jump to conclusions yet.
    TJ looked good against third strings in the Oakland game, while McMahon looked pitiful against the second strings.
    Now we have to see how they pperform with the roles reversed.
    If TJ still outshines McMahon, then I think the move will become more permanent.
    I agree completely....too early to say and let's see how the lad does this saturday.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Well we know that TJ is on the team for sure, just where will he play is the question. and really it does not matter if he is 2nd or 3rd because we have a starting QB to get the job done for us.
    We're bringing purple back.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

this should be a good game for evaluating TJ.
    pittsburgh has a very good defense and their 2nd string d should still be pretty good.
    if he does well this game (higher than a 60 rating) then i'd say that he's officially #2

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

I hope Jackson gives a good game.
    It's not really surprising to see that clown MeMo out for the game.
    Kid can't even play one game without getting hurt.
    I really can't wait to see how we play in that first quarter though.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast