COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Childress not after dual role

[size=18px]Vikings: Childress not after dual role[/size]
    Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    http://www.startribune.com/510/story/425078.html
    Vikings coach Brad Childress said Wednesday he is not interested in assuming the duties of ousted personnel director Fran Foley. Yet.

The topic almost certainly will come up during a two-day ownership retreat scheduled to begin today at Winter Park. Childress said he would recommend filling the job rather than dissolving it, but said he would not be inclined to seek a dual role "at this point."

"After I've established myself in this league as a head football coach with this team, yeah" Childress said. "Anybody that sits in this chair, they probably would be fibbing to you if they tell you that they didn't want to do that. Now, when you say, 'Want to do that,' basically it means you're hiring good people to do that for you. That's down the road. We'll see. I've got my plate full."

Most NFL teams have moved away from the coach/general manager leadership structure, but a handful of coaches -- including Philadelphia's Andy Reid, Childress' mentor -- still wield that power. Owner Zygi Wilf has not commented on his plans for the immediate future, and while there has been speculation that the Vikings might not replace Foley, Childress said the team needs someone to perform the "procedural" duties of assessing talent on the pro and college level.

Childress and Rob Brzezinski, vice president of football operations, are the remaining members of Wilf's original triumvirate of front office decision-makers. Asked if he wanted the three-sided structure to continue, Childress said: "I'm open to any ideas.

"I don't feel threatened by any type of deal that we want to set up," Childress said, "from having a general manager on down. It does not make any difference to me. None."

Childress would not comment on the specifics of Foley's departure. According to NFL sources, Childress caught Foley berating several assistant coaches, an incident that contributed to Foley's May 1 firing. Foley has filed a grievance with the NFL in hope of receiving the balance of his $1 million contract.

"There's still a job action going on," Childress said, "so I'm not going to characterize [that situation] at all."

The Vikings have a three-day minicamp beginning Saturday at Winter Park, and Childress said receiver Troy Williamson will miss it after undergoing a surgical procedure to remove an abscess from his left hip. According to Childress, the infection occurred in the area where Williamson received a skin graft 12 years ago after suffering third-degree burns in a childhood accident.

The graft makes Williamson more susceptible to infection, Childress said. Williamson's agent, David Canter, termed the procedure "minor" and said Williamson would be healed in time for training camp.

Asked if he was concerned about Williamson missing extended time, Childress said: "I don't think it will linger into training camp. I'm in hopes that it will not."

Said Canter: "Troy is in great spirits and he wants to send a message to everyone in Minnesota that he's excited about the season and doesn't want anybody to overreact. He'll be back and ready to go as soon as the doctors clear him."

Etc.

• E.J. Henderson will work some at middle linebacker at this weekend's minicamp, which begins Saturday and concludes Monday. Henderson eventually is expected to cede his starting outside position to rookie Chad Greenway.

• Linebacker Ben Leber (foot) has been cleared for all five practices of minicamp. Running back Mewelde Moore (wrist) will be somewhat limited, Childress said.

• Childress said he can foresee no scenario in which the Vikings will acquire a quarterback to compete with starter Brad Johnson. Rookie quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, selected in the second round of last month's draft, has been speaking daily with quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers.

• Koren Robinson, signed as the team's No. 1 receiver in the offseason, could continue to return kickoffs, Childress said. Robinson made the Pro Bowl last season as a kick returner.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Childress not after dual role

Tarvaris Jackson sounds like our future.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Well, at least he's smart enough not to put too much on his plate right now! He knows that he needs to prove himself as a coach FIRST before he even thinks about anything else!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

I am very glad that he is not taking too much on his plate at one time. I am also happy to see TJ is our future!

Thank you Josdin for the sig

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Eh, blah blah blah..

Bring on the camps!

LAVike is offline Pro-Bowler

What's Ron Wolf up to? Lookin' to get back into the game?

and yes . . . I know he was with the Packers, but so what? Great GM mind.
    "Veni, Vidi, Vikings!"--Julius Caesar

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Here's the Pioneer Press' same version of the story

[size=18px]Vikings press ahead on field[/size]
    Wilf to set timetable for replacing Foley
    BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

The Vikings' triangle of authority is down to two prongs.

Still, coach Brad Childress and the remainder of the team's brain trust is pressing on with preparations for this weekend's minicamp for rookies and veterans.

Childress said Wednesday he would prefer the organization hire a replacement for Fran Foley, who was fired as vice president of player personnel last week. But the first-year head coach said he wouldn't oppose altering the team's chain of command.

"I'm open to other ideas and I don't feel threatened by any type of deal that we want to set up, from general manager on down," Childress said. "It does not make any difference to me. None."

Childress said he isn't interested in the dual title of head coach and general manager, a la his previous boss, Andy Reid in Philadelphia.

At least not now.

"At this point, no," said Childress, "After I've established myself in this league, as a head football coach with this team, I don't think anybody who sits in this chair wouldn't (want the dual role)... . But that's down the road. We'll see. I've got my plate full right now."

Childress said owner Zygi Wilf would determine the timetable for replacing Foley. Wilf could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Wilf will visit with other ownership partners in the next few days. The group is expected to discuss the player personnel job, and they face a deadline of sorts.

The Vikings' entire scouting staff has contracts that expire at the end of this month. They could continue to work under the terms of the existing deals or they could pursue jobs elsewhere.

The Houston Texans and St. Louis Rams also are looking for a top personnel executive. The candidate pool includes familiar names. Before hiring Foley, the Vikings interviewed Jacksonville Jaguars pro personnel director Charlie Bailey; Ron Hill, the former vice president of player personnel for the Atlanta Falcons; and former Miami Dolphins general manager Rick Spielman. Other possible candidates for top NFL personnel jobs include Rick Smith, the assistant general manager for the Denver Broncos; Will Lewis, the pro personnel director for the Seattle Seahawks; Reggie McKenzie, the director of pro personnel for the Green Bay Packers; and Jason Licht, the director of player personnel for the Philadelphia Eagles.

The Vikings are more settled at positions on the field. Childress said he would not bring in anyone to challenge Brad Johnson at starting quarterback. The coach said he is fine with the four quarterbacks under contract.

Childress was encouraged by his linebackers' play at the last minicamp.

"It's a great competitive position right there," Childress said. "We're identifying guys who can play a couple of different positions."

E.J. Henderson, who started at weak-side linebacker last year, will start working at middle linebacker this weekend, joining Napoleon Harris and Dontarrious Thomas. Childress said he wants position flexibility from veterans. But he would like to leave rookie Chad Greenway at one spot on the outside.

"It's how they play," Childress said. "That's what it'll always be. It won't be because of a name, or you got this many years. And it won't be necessarily in shorts. I think you're remiss in making a judgment until you see a guy play with his pads on."

Briefly: Receiver Troy Williamson, who had minor surgery related to skin that he burned as a child, will not participate in practices this weekend, Childress said. The only other player who will be limited is running back Mewelde Moore (wrist).

• Childress said there would be plenty of room for tight ends Jim Kleinsasser and Jermaine Wiggins in his offense.

"I think you have to keep throwing fastballs at the defense," Childress said. "If you're standing with that personnel package on the field... I think you can become predictable."

• Childress said rookie punter John Torp will compete for the job with incumbent Chris Kluwe.

"There's a competition there," Childress said. "They'll both have a chance to win."
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Vikings | Childress does not want dual role
    Thu, 11 May 2006 06:48:53 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress said Wednesday, May 10, he is not interested in assuming the duties of ousted personnel director Fran Foley, at this time. Childress said he would recommend filling the job rather than dissolving it, but said he would not be inclined to seek a dual role "at this point." He said down the road, once he's established himself as a head football coach, things could be different. "I don't feel threatened by any type of deal that we want to set up," Childress said, "from having a general manager on down. It does not make any difference to me. None."