Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Prophet Guest

    Childress and NFL Injury reports

    It appears to me that Childress could take some lessons from Belichick and others regarding how to use the injury report.
    I don't recall a time, ever, when the Vikings didn't have someone on the injury report.

    No, I'm not wishing injuries on our players, but there are many that could be placed on, especially in the probable category.
    The reports, thought they're suppose to be truthful, are often used to deceive the opponents and make them prepare for multiple scenarios.
    The obvious example is from last week with Portis listed as questionable and upgraded the last minute to probable and a game-time decision.
    There is no way to prove it's not legit. other than by speculation, but the injury report has been and will continue to be used as a subtle smokescreen.

    Just another tool in the coaches toolbox to attempt confusion and make the opposing team rely on a series of 'what if' scenarios in addition to their usual preparations.

  2. #2
    digital420's Avatar
    digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Ancient Korinthia
    Posts
    2,559

    Re: Childress and NFL Injury reports

    though B.chill is not one of the long time HC's.. he's not new to the business..

    i'm sure if he thought he could win an advantage with it he would use it.

    i'm just glad he's not annoucning his game plans.. like spouting out the randy ratio!!

    DiGiTaL

    "We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

  3. #3
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    9,513

    Re: Childress and NFL Injury reports

    Not disagreeing with you Prophet, and I hear what your saying, but couldn't it work both ways?..




    What I'm saying is, maybe someone or even more than one player has a few nicks or isn't 100%, but by saying all is fine and dandy, your not letting the other side spot a possible weekness in your upcoming line-up...




    I guess it depends on which way the wind is blowing that your smoke will travel....


    I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

  4. #4
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Childress and NFL Injury reports

    I think teams are starting to care less. Especially if it is someone really important to the team. Like take Steve Smith for example. They are watching tape on him even though they want you to believe he wont play.

    I spend half my day watching football film and trying to stay awake. I imagine the NFL does it way more then that. I am sure they get to cover as much as they want.

  5. #5
    Prophet Guest

    Re: Childress and NFL Injury reports

    Sure, they have a team of people watching tapes.
    All I'm saying is that if you know Steve Smith is playing you make your gameplan.
    If you think there's a chance he won't play you have to make an alternative gameplan for that scenario.
    There aren't many days to prepare for the next game and the more scenarios you have to work on the less time you have to work on each scenario.
    Boiled down, make the opposiing team think you have more on your platter than you really do and make them spend a portion of their limited practice time spinning their wheels.

  6. #6
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Childress and NFL Injury reports

    "Prophet" wrote:
    Sure, they have a team of people watching tapes.
    All I'm saying is that if you know Steve Smith is playing you make your gameplan.
    If you think there's a chance he won't play you have to make an alternative gameplan for that scenario.
    There aren't many days to prepare for the next game and the more scenarios you have to work on the less time you have to work on each scenario.
    Boiled down, make the opposiing team think you have more on your platter than you really do and make them spend a portion of their limited practice time spinning their wheels.
    I don't think they do make alternate plans. They plan for Steve Smith. Your not going to sit and plan for some 2nd string WR. Everyone knows the injury game, no one falls for it. They are not going to NOT spend time on Steve Smith if he is doubtful, questionable, or probable if he isn't out they are planning on playing Steve Smith.

  7. #7
    Articnv's Avatar
    Articnv is offline Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    1,014

    Re: Childress and NFL Injury reports

    Not puttign any oen on the injury
    report then
    replacing a
    starting player with soem difrent
    woudl be
    a good tactic
    to use IMO, make su prepare for oen thign and hit with another

  8. #8
    Prophet Guest

    Re: Childress and NFL Injury reports

    "Del" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Sure, they have a team of people watching tapes.
    All I'm saying is that if you know Steve Smith is playing you make your gameplan.
    If you think there's a chance he won't play you have to make an alternative gameplan for that scenario.
    There aren't many days to prepare for the next game and the more scenarios you have to work on the less time you have to work on each scenario.
    Boiled down, make the opposiing team think you have more on your platter than you really do and make them spend a portion of their limited practice time spinning their wheels.
    I don't think they do make alternate plans. They plan for Steve Smith. Your not going to sit and plan for some 2nd string WR. Everyone knows the injury game, no one falls for it. They are not going to NOT spend time on Steve Smith if he is doubtful, questionable, or probable if he isn't out they are planning on playing Steve Smith.
    So, if you think Shaun Alexander is not going to play you're not going to have your D more focused on blitzing than it would have been with him healthy?
    Sure, they have to be ready for whomever the superstar is unless you're 100% sure they're out, but if there is some doubt to whether he will play I find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be some game planning adjustments based on the probability of a hero not playing.

    In the Steve Smith example I'm not talking about preparing for the scrubs, I'm talking about their game plan changing so the defense would try to foresee those changes in their game plan and be ready for them.

    That makes sense to me, but I may just be having another acid flashback.


  9. #9
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Childress and NFL Injury reports

    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Sure, they have a team of people watching tapes.
    All I'm saying is that if you know Steve Smith is playing you make your gameplan.
    If you think there's a chance he won't play you have to make an alternative gameplan for that scenario.
    There aren't many days to prepare for the next game and the more scenarios you have to work on the less time you have to work on each scenario.
    Boiled down, make the opposiing team think you have more on your platter than you really do and make them spend a portion of their limited practice time spinning their wheels.
    I don't think they do make alternate plans. They plan for Steve Smith. Your not going to sit and plan for some 2nd string WR. Everyone knows the injury game, no one falls for it. They are not going to NOT spend time on Steve Smith if he is doubtful, questionable, or probable if he isn't out they are planning on playing Steve Smith.
    So, if you think Shaun Alexander is not going to play you're not going to have your D more focused on blitzing than it would have been with him healthy?
    Sure, they have to be ready for whomever the superstar is unless you're 100% sure they're out, but if there is some doubt to whether he will play I find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be some game planning adjustments based on the probability of a hero not playing.

    In the Steve Smith example I'm not talking about preparing for the scrubs, I'm talking about their game plan changing so the defense would try to foresee those changes in their game plan and be ready for them.

    That makes sense to me, but I may just be having another acid flashback.

    Well I've never coached in an NFL game so I can't say for sure. But we make our guys memorize their playbooks and all the plays. Each book is individualized for each position. So they should know what to do on whatever play they call.

    If your getting tore up over and over again on a dive you do not take a break whip open the play book and search for something to counter the dive. You know it already and you call the play in.

    Like I said I am not sure how it works on a professional level. I can't imagine that the injury report really makes a bit of difference unless a person is out.

  10. #10
    Prophet Guest

    Re: Childress and NFL Injury reports

    I really don't know, but I was guessing it would have some play on the plans for the reasons I mentioned above.
    I never thought it was a major deal, just another cog in the system at the level of head-games.
    One small part of an overall plan of destruction.


    Bellichick has used injury reports and the PUP list and all those types of subtle games to his advantage in the past (I'm too lazy to look up references, but have seen some takes on this before).
    He has bent the rules just enough, almost too much because the league noticed it, to give him a slight advantage at times.
    That's the take.

    Bottom-line, I'm sure it's similar to what you experience as a college coach.
    I just think some of these small things, even trivial at the surface, when added up, can add to the game-time preparation for the other team.


Similar Threads

  1. Childress "lucky" to escape injury after collision
    By slavinator in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 05:08 PM
  2. Vikings & Packers injury reports
    By NodakPaul in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-06-2008, 11:46 AM
  3. Coach Chin admits to fudging injury reports
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-23-2007, 04:07 PM
  4. Vikings: Injury questions irk Childress
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 09-23-2006, 09:43 AM
  5. ESPN reports reports talks are dead
    By COJOMAY in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-05-2006, 08:19 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •