Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Childress must Go!!

"Caine" wrote:
    I suppose this was inevitable.
    One year after firing the guy who ended 9-7 we are now looking to lynch the guy who is a paltry 6-9 with one game to go....

...but this reaction is premature.
    It's absolutely pre-mature and reactionary and likely espoused by the same folks who think the Vikings should get Culpepper and Moss back and suddenly it's 2003 all over again - except now our defense is good!

In the WCO, the passes are short, quick slants and other things over the middle.
    When thrown with precision, catching receivers in stride, big things can happen.
    But you need receivers who can then make plays once they catch the ball.
    Jerry Rice did not reach the Hall-of-Fame by catching deep bombs his entire career.
    He did it by catching the 5-yard pass and turning it into 10 yards.

We don't have anyone who can do that, it appears.
    I think Childress was counting on Koren Robinson to be that guy (shifty + speedy), but when that blew up in training camp, plan B was Troy Williamson and oops, the wheels go off the whole thing.

Firing Childress and starting over with a new HC likely means a new offense - unless you hire ANOTHER WCO guy.
    And a new offense means more slow starts and all that stuff we have seen this year.

I wonder if any of the FIRE CHILDRESS Brigade will actually read what Caine has written and think about it before responding with another scathing post full of anger, venom and incoherent thoughts.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

whiteboy is offline Pro-Bowler

"umaguma1979" wrote:
    Its not BJ.....its not TJ......this guy just is not head coach material.
    I've seen enough......Childress just does not adapt to the game nor his players.
    If Childress does not agree to hire an offensive coordinador to call play (and Bevell is a candidate), he must go.
    The guy just will not throw the ball down the field.
    He called this Packers game like BJ was the QB and did not capitalize on TJ's strengths - just proof he sucks.

LMFAO I was wondering how long it'd take to see a thread like this!
    Chill out dawg, I'm a disgruntled fan too, but come on, it's his first season and the Vikings are trying to implement a new system.
    I do think he should let the offensive coordinator do the play calling against St Louis to see what happens.
    Give it time....

Smudge is offline Waterboy

Hire Mike Martz!
    Greatest Show on Turf part 2.
    It's fun to watch the ball sail through the air, even if we know our receivers can't catch it!

just kidding....I'm willing to give him another year at least & see if he can't pick up or developm some good receivers.....and use them wisely.
    After that, if we're no good....then I'll fire him.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"whiteboy" wrote:
    "umaguma1979" wrote:
    Its not BJ.....its not TJ......this guy just is not head coach material.
    I've seen enough......Childress just does not adapt to the game nor his players.
    If Childress does not agree to hire an offensive coordinador to call play (and Bevell is a candidate), he must go.
    The guy just will not throw the ball down the field.
    He called this Packers game like BJ was the QB and did not capitalize on TJ's strengths - just proof he sucks.

LMFAO I was wondering how long it'd take to see a thread like this!
    Chill out dawg, I'm a disgruntled fan too, but come on, it's his first season and the Vikings are trying to implement a new system.
    I do think he should let the offensive coordinator do the play calling against St Louis to see what happens.
    Give it time....
    LMAO.
    I was wondering how long it would take too.

Seriously, developing a superbowl team is not about instant gratification.
    You need to accept that a coach's first season, win or lose, is not truly indicative of the rest of his career.
    What would you rather do?
    install a revolving door of coaches like in Detroit, and never give the team a chance to fully learn one system and get better?

Save the judgment on Childress, good or bad, for at least one more season.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Redmption is offline Pro-Bowler

When you fire a coach after a winning season you excect the next guy coming in to at least reach that mark, not regress signifigantly. I am giving Childress another year, but if the penalites continue and the offense is as garbage as it is now, he should be tossed.
    Demote Tomlin to D-Line Coach and find a Coordinator that can figure out after the first few games, not 15, that the pass D schemes arent working.

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

The problem with childress is that he is way to conservative. It seems like we are playing not to lose. He needs to stretch the field and do some trick plays.

Did we have one trick play this year? no we didn't

He also won't send guys after the QB since he is so afrid of the big play. Any QB in this league can just sit back there and pick you apart if he has the time. Our pass defense is not that bad. We need to blitz the qb like we did against the jets on the first play.

Yes, he is waaaay to conservative.
    But you can't just fire a coach after his first year, with a whole new staff.
    You have to give him around 3 years to evaluate his coaching!

Like I've been saying the past few weeks, hire a new playcaller!
    I just posted this in another thread as well, if denny green is fired, why not hire him as the playcaller?
    our offense thrived while he was here, and the offense down in Arizona is not too bad as well, not to mention the talent he helped draft while he was here!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"michaelmazid" wrote:
    The problem with childress is that he is way to conservative. It seems like we are playing not to lose. He needs to stretch the field and do some trick plays.

Did we have one trick play this year? no we didn't

He also won't send guys after the QB since he is so afrid of the big play. Any QB in this league can just sit back there and pick you apart if he has the time. Our pass defense is not that bad. We need to blitz the qb like we did against the jets on the first play.
    Yeah, like maybe a fake field goal or something... oh wait...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Suick is offline Pro-Bowler

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    He's getting mad credit off what our defense is doing this year,

I hope he's getting mad credit for the 29th ranked pass defense
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Suick" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    He's getting mad credit off what our defense is doing this year,
    I hope he's getting mad credit for the 29th ranked pass defense
    I hope you actually read this:

The top-3 ranked pass Defenses in the NFL are Oakland (2-12), Indianapolis (11-3) and Miami (6-8).
    I think we can agree none of those are elite defenses, although Jason Taylor is a monster.

The Bears are 4th.
    They have given up 2580 yards passing on 494 attempts - a rate of 5.22 yards/attempt.

The Ravens are 6th.
    2609 yards on 432 attempts = 6.04/attempt.

The Vikings are 31st.
    3570 yards on 568 attempts = 6.2/attempt.

The Falcons are 30th.
    3307 on 472 attempts = 7.00/attempt.

The Bengals are 32nd.
    3383 on 504 attempts = 6.7/attempt.

Conclusion:
    NFL pass-defense rankings are skewed towards the total yard figure and do not accurately reflect how effective a pass defense is.

One more stat which is useful in debunking this "Our Pass D is HORRIBLE" myth:
    The Vikings have only given up 14 passing TDs in 15 games.
    That is tied for FOURTH in the league with only New England, Jacksonville and Denver having given up less.

Look deeper into the stats and you might have a tad more respect for the job which Tomlin has done.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast