Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Childress' job guaranteed through 2008, Wilf says

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    All I have asked for is consistent improvement in the team to show it is headed in the right direction. There have been games like the Seahawks last year, the game against Atlanta, the game against San Diego and possibly one of the preseason games where they looked like they had turned a corner only to underperform the following week.

We now have 2 good weeks in a row which I think is a first and we have a favorable schedule for the remainder of the season. IMO if the team is going to come together it needs to play competitively in all of the games for the rest of the season. That doesn't mean they have to win them all, but they have to be competitive on both sides of the ball.
    Very nice post my friend.
    Very nice indeed.

I for one, believe they have been, with the exception of one game, very competitive this year.

1 Sep 09 ATL 3 @ MIN 24 FINAL

2 Sep 16 MIN 17 @ DET 20 FINAL
    (Loss by 3)
    3 Sep 23 MIN 10 @ KC 13 FINAL
    (Loss by 3)
    4 Sep 30 GB 23 @ MIN 16 FINAL
    (Loss by 7)
    5 Bye

6 Oct 14 MIN 34 @ CHI 31 FINAL

7 Oct 21 MIN 14 @ DAL 24 FINAL
    (Loss by 10 but we were in the lead at the half)
    8 Oct 28 PHI 23 @ MIN 16 FINAL
    (Loss by 7)
    9 Nov 04 SD 17 @ MIN 35 FINAL

10 Nov 11 MIN 0 @ GB 34 FINAL
    (Only blowout.
    Scheme that worked agains Culpepper, Rivers and Manning failed against Lord Favre)
    11 Nov 18 OAK 22 @ MIN 29 FINAL

12 Nov 25 MIN 41 @ NYG

Would I like to see more wins than losses at this point, sure, but am I suprised that we lost close games with a rotating effort at QB, a OL that didn't really start gelling as expected and a DL and S that are suspect against the pass.
    No not suprised at all.

We now have a schedule that has a few QB's that can be rattled by our scheme, some teams that don't have a stellar running attack and some teams that might have mailed it in by the time we roll around to them.

Sure glad all the naysayers were wrong and our guys didn't mail it in and are still buying into what the coaching staff (not just the Chiller) is selling.
    ;D

Again, very nice post.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

"PurplePowerPunch" wrote:
    I'm one of the Chilli haters on here. But after a win like that yesturday, I'm willing to put up with him for one more year. He better bring in another QB, #1 WR, and a good CB in the off-Season.
    My expectations for next year have consistently been very high.
    My expectations for this year, and, I've written this many times, is completely reliant on the QB position.
    Childress is not an idiot, he's not the gregarious, faceman that alot of us fans like.
    I have written that we Vikings fans deserve a quality product.
    There are signs of hope that a quality product is forming.
    The last two year's drafts have alot of players to build around.
    Childress has finally showed me that he's capable of putting together good game plans; the players will be the first to tell you that it is their job to execute the plan.
    How long has it been since we could say, our coach out coached our opponent?

The 3 positions you mention are exactly what I said to some of my Eagles buddies we need in order to get back to the playoffs.
    Although, Rice may develop into a #1 and Charles Gordon is starting to grow on me...he's a playmaker.
    QB - hey, if TJack is the one, great, if not, we gotta get one...it's really that simple.
    The fact that this team is 5-6 with a completely anemic passing game is testimony to the talent and, Childress.
    I was pissed off after the Packers game and, was calling for his head if the Team folded.
    It hasn't, in fact, they played with great intensity and purpose yesterday.
    I'm good with this decision, but, I hope Wilf added the following sentence, "the mendoza line for W's next year starts at 10...no excuses."

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    All I have asked for is consistent improvement in the team to show it is headed in the right direction. There have been games like the Seahawks last year, the game against Atlanta, the game against San Diego and possibly one of the preseason games where they looked like they had turned a corner only to underperform the following week.

We now have 2 good weeks in a row which I think is a first and we have a favorable schedule for the remainder of the season. IMO if the team is going to come together it needs to play competitively in all of the games for the rest of the season. That doesn't mean they have to win them all, but they have to be competitive on both sides of the ball.
    Very nice post my friend.
    Very nice indeed.

I for one, believe they have been, with the exception of one game, very competitive this year.

1 Sep 09 ATL 3 @ MIN 24 FINAL

2 Sep 16 MIN 17 @ DET 20 FINAL
    (Loss by 3)
    3 Sep 23 MIN 10 @ KC 13 FINAL
    (Loss by 3)
    4 Sep 30 GB 23 @ MIN 16 FINAL
    (Loss by 7)
    5 Bye

6 Oct 14 MIN 34 @ CHI 31 FINAL

7 Oct 21 MIN 14 @ DAL 24 FINAL
    (Loss by 10 but we were in the lead at the half)
    8 Oct 28 PHI 23 @ MIN 16 FINAL
    (Loss by 7)
    9 Nov 04 SD 17 @ MIN 35 FINAL

10 Nov 11 MIN 0 @ GB 34 FINAL
    (Only blowout.
    Scheme that worked agains Culpepper, Rivers and Manning failed against Lord Favre)
    11 Nov 18 OAK 22 @ MIN 29 FINAL

12 Nov 25 MIN 41 @ NYG

Would I like to see more wins than losses at this point, sure, but am I suprised that we lost close games with a rotating effort at QB, a OL that didn't really start gelling as expected and a DL and S that are suspect against the pass.
    No not suprised at all.

We now have a schedule that has a few QB's that can be rattled by our scheme, some teams that don't have a stellar running attack and some teams that might have mailed it in by the time we roll around to them.

Sure glad all the naysayers were wrong and our guys didn't mail it in and are still buying into what the coaching staff (not just the Chiller) is selling.
    ;D

Again, very nice post.
    We were competitive on the defensive side of the ball, but the offense has not been taking charge of any games until Chicago and San Diego. Many of the games where we lost, if we had anything more than the anemic performance by the offense we could have had 3-4 more wins. More directly I am talking about the passing game where we have not had a 100 yard WR since 2005 or early 2006. This part of the game looks like it is starting to turn the corner, but it has looked like it before only to revert back to it's anemic state.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

I don't care if Bozo the Clown is our coach, as long as he's putting up W's.

Speaking of Bozo...

Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

This is good news. Zygi Wilf is an excellent owner who is making the right choices.

We already have a good run offense and a good run defense. We are lacking in the passing game on both sides of the ball.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Linehan passing game imported into the system and combined with the Childress running game. As for the pass defense, I think we are young at several positions. As our players mature, and we keep improving the defensive scheme, we will have success there.

There is a huge need on this team for coaching continuity. That said, I would take a risk on bringing in Linehan as OC if he's let go by the Rams. Make sure TJack has a good QB coach, and the same one, all the way through.

Go Vikings!

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"vikesfargo" wrote:
    This is good news. Zygi Wilf is an excellent owner who is making the right choices.

We already have a good run offense and a good run defense. We are lacking in the passing game on both sides of the ball.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Linehan passing game imported into the system and combined with the Childress running game. As for the pass defense, I think we are young at several positions. As our players mature, and we keep improving the defensive scheme, we will have success there.

There is a huge need on this team for coaching continuity. That said, I would take a risk on bringing in Linehan as OC if he's let go by the Rams. Make sure TJack has a good QB coach, and the same one, all the way through.

what is it with people and their undying love for Linehan????
    Anybody remember our red zone woes with Randy Moss, Pepp and company????

i just don't get it....

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

"C" wrote:
    I don't care if Bozo the Clown is our coach, as long as he's putting up W's.

Speaking of Bozo...

... lawl.
    :
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

"bleedpurple" wrote:

i just don't get it....
    I hear you. My reason is that Linehan set up a good passing attack. It was the running attack where he failed. We couldn't reliably punch it in from the redzone because defenses could key on the pass. With a balanced attack, we could get six from inside the twenty most of the time.

Childress has got the running game figured out and rolling. He still has to upgrade the passing attack.

Go Vikings!

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"vikesfargo" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:

i just don't get it....
    I hear you. My reason is that Linehan set up a good passing attack. It was the running attack where he failed. We couldn't reliably punch it in from the redzone because defenses could key on the pass. With a balanced attack, we could get six from inside the twenty most of the time.

Childress has got the running game figured out and rolling. He still has to upgrade the passing attack.
    during one of those years, your referring to, we were 18th against the pass and #4 in total offense... and still couldn't score in the redzone... in between the 20's were were one of the best, but not in the redzone.
    our td conversion rate was middle of the pack at best...

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Nice!
    Consistency!!
    Two years in the system by most of the players should remove that as an excuse, and help the new FAs and draft picks etc to learn it.
    I for one, am looking forward to next season!!
    Hopefully, for a change, we won't have to change our DCoordinator either!!
    The disguised blitzes are looking good!
    And I'd really like to see Frazier be able to turn this D loose a little more, with a little more familiarity between him and the players!

I'll admit, after that embarrassment in GB, that I was jogging alongside the bandwagon for a week or so...but getting two wins in a row and beating the Giants like that at their house has me fully on board!
    We'll need to see more of that improvement and, "realized potential," in the next 5 games, but it is starting to look like this team is coming together!
    IF we can beat DET next week, we'd be tied for the last seed in the playoffs...unbelievable!
    Ok, maybe not so unbelievable in the NFC, eh?

As for FA/draft needs...I still think we need more depth and better competition at QB.
    If TJack is going to miss games on a regular basis, we're going to want someone more consistent than BB and KH backing him up!
    And, lighting a fire under his arse!
    Another top end WR would be nice for sure!
    To help spread the field and score in the redzone!!
    I'm not sure CB is the weak link on D.
    They are young and being tested by fire...hopefully this experience will help them hone their skills swiftly.
    And, before we started all these new blitz looks/drops etc...our pass rush was lacking severely!
    Favre seemed to have all day back there most of the time...maybe, instead of the CB, we need one bad MOFO of a DE to wreak some havoc and pull double teams away from the rest of our guys up front...?

I was kicking around the idea, that another point of view at Offensive Coordinator might not be a bad thing.
    Maybe we could get a guy like Mariucci or maybe Linehan if he gets canned, to do some consulting on our playbook, or even take an Asst. Head Coach position to tune up this machine...the idea being that he would look good doing it and get himself another HC opportunity somewhere.
    Just a thought, don't get me wrong, I am stoked with our running game, and the run first/play action mentality, and, I love the gadget plays (specially when they work!)

SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast