Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Childress - His way, like it or not

"Schutz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Big" wrote:
    I have nothing against Troy, but he hasn't earned that first round paycheck any year of his career. We drafted him to be our speedy deep threat. HOWEVER HE IS NOT THAT KIND OF RECIEVER. He has shown a lot more promise as this season as a posession reciever on short routes. He will be back in 2008 fighting for the #3 WR spot.
    And we as fans shouldn't hold that against him.

Not trying to pick on you, nor is this directed at you my friend, however, Just want to use your post as a sounding board for a brief rant.....

It is gol 'darnit stupid to blame him for being picked as the 7th overall pick and for accepting a offer befitting that pick by a team that basically was clueless when it came to even the basics of things with regard to running an organization or for trying to get a draft pick in on time for that matter.

Sorry, every once in a while I will speak bad about the team.
    Rant off.

:
    No Mar, TWill was supposed to be able to look into the future and after seeing that he wasn't going to be an NFL #1 Receiver call up the NFL and tell them "No man, don't pay me, I'm not that good, I've seen into the future."

Jeeze, how dumb are you.
    Hmmmm, how to take that one.

:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

douginc is offline Starter

"Schutz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Big" wrote:
    I have nothing against Troy, but he hasn't earned that first round paycheck any year of his career. We drafted him to be our speedy deep threat. HOWEVER HE IS NOT THAT KIND OF RECIEVER. He has shown a lot more promise as this season as a posession reciever on short routes. He will be back in 2008 fighting for the #3 WR spot.
    And we as fans shouldn't hold that against him.

Not trying to pick on you, nor is this directed at you my friend, however, Just want to use your post as a sounding board for a brief rant.....

It is gol 'darnit stupid to blame him for being picked as the 7th overall pick and for accepting a offer befitting that pick by a team that basically was clueless when it came to even the basics of things with regard to running an organization or for trying to get a draft pick in on time for that matter.

Sorry, every once in a while I will speak bad about the team.
    Rant off.
    :
    No Mar, TWill was supposed to be able to look into the future and after seeing that he wasn't going to be an NFL #1 Receiver call up the NFL and tell them "No man, don't pay me, I'm not that good, I've seen into the future."

Jeeze, how dumb are you.
    You guys said it perfect.
    You can never blame the person for taking, the people writing the checks have to hold the intelligence.

To Childress haters, you can't blame Childress for taking our head coaching job either if you don't think he was ready for the job.
    Hell, if the Vikes organization offered any of us the head coaching job, even though I'm grossly incompetant at the inner workings of football, I'd say 'hell yes, I'm your man'.
    Blame those who write the checks, not those who take them.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Big" wrote:
    So exactly how many 1st round wide receivers earn they're paycheck the first three years.. better yet, how many are not complete busts?????

In the first round of the draft that williamson went in.. only Braylon edwards is worth of being a 1st rounder...

not: Trow WIll, not MIke Williams, not Matt Jones, Mark Clayton, and questionably Roddy White!!!

so, when you look at it, they're not many guys that are ever really worth they're draft pick.. but with that said you gotta give them time... Even TO took a few years to develop.. and remember he was drafted behind JJ stokes.... and ended up being waaaay better!!

its' funny how people want to throw some out with the bath water after a few years... Hell, everyone knew he was raw and played in a run first offense... it usually takes about 3 years for a receiver to finally get it!!!

Too bad, we don't know if he does or nor, until he plays a few games, with the new and improved TJ.....

IBleedPurple11 is offline Pro-Bowler

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../71203016/1049

Three weeks later, the Vikings are 6-6, tied for a wild-card position and Childress has become both Minnesota’s resident psychologist and the NFC’s version of Bill Belichick.

*SKOL!*

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Interesting.
    Sean Jensen appears to like using 'off the record' quotes to promote his rantings.
    Maybe some of the supportive 'on the record' quotes should also be used, rather than supporting his agenda.

...The frustrated Vikings complained that the second-year coach disliked recruiting "star players" via free agency, that he docked Troy Williamson's pay after the receiver's grandmother died, that he entrusted a green second-year quarterback with an otherwise veteran lineup, and that he tries to control what his players say to reporters.

Still, the perturbed players said, they would stay the course....
    This issue has been discussed hundreds of times on pp.o.
    Just who out of the recognized name 'big-players' should they have picked up?
    Maybe, just maybe, there was a plan in place that integrated the salary cap, need, direction of the team.
    The FA was week this year, but there were a few that might have been nice to pick up, but, for many reasons that I'm sure the coaching staff can support, they were not.
    Oh well, maybe Sean would be happier if there was a poll in their website so all the young 'uns and armchair experts could vote on which of the FAs should have been brought in.

Another of Sean's quotes, "Childress acknowledged that Garcia was discussed but never seriously considered."
    What Childress actually said from a Seifert article was, ""There was enough furor over a 37-year-old quarterback [Brad Johnson] this year," Childress said. "So I'm kind of surprised [to hear about] Jeff Garcia." The plan was made, to go with the green horn and see what he has.
    I didn't really agree with the plan, but, it's Childress' ass on the line, not mine.

A real quote that is 'on the record' in the article:

..."I think guys are buying into the system," Winfield said, "and appreciating the coaching that we're getting."...
    It might just be me, but, that kind of seems like it is supportive of the direction the team is taking.

Sean's opinion following that quote:

...But it has been a long road to get to this point, and the strong-willed Childress has endured his ups and downs...
    I guess Mr. Jensen didn't get his requisite 'reach-around' that Tice so freely gave him so he tossed in an adjective that is supposed to be demeaning.

..."I'm convinced that, in a perfect world, the way you'd like to be able to build the thing is through your draft and augment your team with free agents," Childress said. "I think the conception is, 'Oh, these guys got this much cap money, they need to spend it.' Well, you just don't want to spend it just to spend it, and you don't want to spend it frivolously.

"We've still got some business principles that we adhere to."...
    Jensen whined about not getting 'big-namers' and used some 'off-the-record' quotes to support himself.
    The quote from Childress in the article explains clearly, at least to me, why they didn't go after some of the 'big-namers' that some thought were the answer.
    I guess I'm more likely to believe a coaching staff with over a century of professional coaching experience rather than a journalistic hack that has an agenda.

Regarding his decision to not pay Williamson, Jensen mentioned that, "But before making that decision, Childress consulted his leadership council, a panel of players he set up last season. Smith, one of the veterans on the council, applauded Childress for righting the situation."
    To me that is good leadership, he made the decision, saw the repercussions, met with the veterans on the council that HE set up prior to this particular problem and righted the situation.

Childress even said:

Childress, who now can joke that it wasn't one of his "highlight" decisions, pointed out that criticism comes with his position.

"In some ways, they pay you in this job to make decisions," Childress said. "Some you make right. When you're making decision after decision after decision, you'd like to be 100 for 100. But then I'd go to Vegas and make decisions and be a rich man.
    Anyone that has ever been in a management decision knows that you have to make many decisions in any given day.
    Childress had the experience and vision to set-up a leadership council to help with decisions or to help get feedback on decisions.
    That is good people management.

My favorite quote is Williamson, apparently on the record.

Asked about this season, Williamson said, "I don't even want to talk about that, because I can go on and on and on.

"I will just do what I can do. I mean, I'm sure I'm not the only guy that feels that way."
    Williamson has done so little to gain any respect on the team that I'm sure his word carries a lot of weight.
    I sure hope this guy walks the plank, he's not worth the coin and he shows signs of cancer.

...Childress discourages bulletin-board material for Vikings opponents - and any teamsensitive information, such as game plans and player injuries...
    Wow, that sounds horrible doesn't it?
    I wish he would give the AD ratio to the press.

...Asked about that exercise, Childress said his goal is to educate his players and ensure they don't say things they will later regret....
    Being a mentor, that sounds like a good thing.
    It is true that some players will say something in the heat of the moment and it will define them.
    Randy Moss' comment about he'll play when he wants to play has been shoved down his throat for years after saying it.
    It's a good thing to have a coach that is trying to help the players think before they speak.
    Anyone that has dealt with the press knows that they will spin things and take things out of context.
    A coach that warns them about this is doing his job.

....Childress said he isn't afraid to tell any of his players where they stand with him ("As long as you're not afraid to hear it, I'm not afraid to tell you," he said), but he won't simply give a disgruntled player a pass out of Winter Park.

"Everyone can say, 'I'm not happy, I want to go.' But that's not how this whole deal works," Childress said....
    In general people like straight-shooters that will tell you the way it is.
    Childress said he will tell any player where they stand with him, constructive criticism.
    If they have a weak spine and can't handle it, then, don't ask.
    Most people would rather hear from a straight shooter rather than an ass-kisser that will say one thing to their face and another thing behind their back.

Personally, I hate articles like this.
    If you want to go off and define a man's character then use all the information available.
    Don't be using the premise of your article on hearsay and 'off-the-record' quotes when there are plenty of 'on-the-record' quotes to work with.

Yes, winning cures everything.
    I'm just not into asshats that attempt to destroy a man's character when it is based off of weak information and engulfed with opinon and an agenda.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456