Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Childress - His way, like it or not

Brad Childress doesn't have a warm, fuzzy personality like Mike Tice. He is more like Bud Grant, but with less emotion.

Great leaders bring the same calm emotional state when times are good or times are bad. Regardless of anything else, Childress has this quality.

The NFL has a lot of spying and cheating. Most playcallers hold a card in front of their mouths now to prevent lip reading. The League destroyed the Patriots archived materials in Spygate. The League is so competitive, people will do anything to win.

In such an environment, having control over what kinds of information get shared with the rest of the world is critical. We can't have a player inadvertently spill part of the playbook before Sunday. We don't want anyone giving the other team bulletin board material. And we don't want a good guy like Allen Iverson to be unnecessarily tarred because a stupid remark slipped out one day about practice.

I've always suspected the Giants of cheating by intercepting our electronic communications between Denny Green and the OC in the booth during the NFC Championship 41-0 game. Regardless of whether that is true, the Vikings organization has important historical reasons for keeping certain kinds of information under tight control.

Garcia does have some knocks on him. He is known to force plays that aren't there. Secondly, Tarvaris Jackson's arm really is a major weapon, even though he hasn't started many games. As Jackson gets better, and the O-line gives him better pass protection, he will achieve many big things.

I support Childress and Wilf. They have shown lots of leadership, even in tough times. I'd like to see us sweep the Packers next year, but right now I am very pleased with the current direction.

Go Vikes! Let's whip the 49ers!

Go Vikings!

HornedHat is offline Asst. Coach

I don't wanna just sweep the Puckers next season. We OWE them a butt kicking, and I want it.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

After todays performance I wonder if the writer wants to change his "Off the record" comments or at least go ask the players he (supposidely) got the quotes from if they have changed thier tune.

I still contend that at least someone in the front office would/should have wanted Garcia.
    Maybe the staff (i.e Bryzcheapski and ownership) and the front office lowballed a offer to him.

To actually believe that the Vikings would basically go into the 2007 season as a throw away season, this would have to have been a total staff decision based on nothing more than the assumption that TJ would struggle and he would loose us games, fans would get pissed, ticket sales would dropp off etc etc etc.

Alot of stuff is said about the Chiller being a hard head and the perception that he wanted to go into the season with a 1-AA QB of TJ's caliber as his QB this year but I am not buying it no matter what quote people put in front of me.
    I might be proven wrong on that, and maybe the Chiller did think TJ could win this year (He is 6-2) but I doubt it.

Again, long story short, I believe the front office (and not just the Chiller) went into this season counting this as a throw away developmental year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Earlier this season, I compared Chilly to President Bush in his dogged insistence on doing things HIS way.
    Right now, however, he reminds me more of Patrick Swayze in the movie Road House.

In case you're unfamiliar with Road House, it is unquestionably the greatest movie ever made.
    It runs 114 mind-blowing, jiggly butt-kicking minutes, roughly 113 of which consist of bar fights or some other variety of jiggly butt-kickery.
    The engaging, heart-poundingly dramatic storyline features Patrick Swayze as Dalton, an apparently world-famous bouncer (and NYU philosophy major) rumored to have "balls big enough to come in a dump truck."

Dalton has been hired to deal with the group of "40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry"* who have been hurting business at a rural Missouri bar known as the Double Deuce.
    Once hired, he makes some drastic changes to the way the bar operates.
    He makes it clear right from the beginning: "I'm telling you straight: it's my way, or the highway."

He has only three rules:

"Rule #1:" wrote:
    Never underestimate your opponent.
    Expect the unexpected.
    "Rule #2:" wrote:
    Take it outside. Never start anything inside the bar unless it's absolutely necessary.
    "Rule #3:" wrote:
    Dalton: "Be nice. If somebody gets in your face and calls you a co*I love to do what I just said*er, I want you to be nice. Ask him to walk. Be nice. If he won't walk, walk him. But be nice. If you can't walk him, one of the others will help you, and you'll both be nice. I want you to remember that it's a job. It's nothing personal. ... I want you to be nice, until it's time not to be nice."

Guy: "Well, uh, how are we supposed to know when that is?"

Dalton: "You won't. I'll let you know. You are the bouncers. I am the cooler. All you have to do is watch my back, and each others', and take out the trash."
    Note how, in explaining the third rule, he also establishes a clear hierarchy of responsibilities (thus inadvertently adding a fourth rule, but that's neither here nor there) - he is the "cooler," and is responsible for knowing what to do.
    As bouncers, they must work together as a team, with everyone filling their designated role.

The next night, Dalton successfully cleans the bar of ruffians and fat, drunk rednecks.
    The night after that, the bar is inexplicably filled to capacity, despite the fact that it is in a rural town of roughly 800 people.
    The way the Vikings are playing right now is similar to the way the Double Deuce was able to attract the patronage of every man, woman, and child within 50 miles.

That's the beauty of Road House - I find myself applying it to everyday life.
    If you haven't seen Road House, buy or rent a copy IMMEDIATELY.
    Come on, don't be too stupid to have a good time!
    I promise, you WILL believe that Patrick Swayze can rip a man's throat out!

* Did I mention that Road House is one of the most quotable movies in history?

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    After todays performance I wonder if the writer wants to change his "Off the record" comments or at least go ask the players he (supposidely) got the quotes from if they have changed thier tune.

I still contend that at least someone in the front office would/should have wanted Garcia.
    Maybe the staff (i.e Bryzcheapski and ownership) and the front office lowballed a offer to him.

To actually believe that the Vikings would basically go into the 2007 season as a throw away season, this would have to have been a total staff decision based on nothing more than the assumption that TJ would struggle and he would loose us games, fans would get pissed, ticket sales would dropp off etc etc etc.

Alot of stuff is said about the Chiller being a hard head and the perception that he wanted to go into the season with a 1-AA QB of TJ's caliber as his QB this year but I am not buying it no matter what quote people put in front of me.
    I might be proven wrong on that, and maybe the Chiller did think TJ could win this year (He is 6-2) but I doubt it.

Again, long story short, I believe the front office (and not just the Chiller) went into this season counting this as a throw away developmental year.
    Exactly.
    Going into this year they said that "this year will be to see if tjack is the QB of the future" so.. yea

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

"BBQ" wrote:
    Earlier this season, I compared Chilly to President Bush in his dogged insistence on doing things HIS way.
    Right now, however, he reminds me more of Patrick Swayze in the movie Road House.

In case you're unfamiliar with Road House, it is unquestionably the greatest movie ever made.
    It runs 114 mind-blowing, jiggly butt-kicking minutes, roughly 113 of which consist of bar fights or some other variety of jiggly butt-kickery.
    The engaging, heart-poundingly dramatic storyline features Patrick Swayze as Dalton, an apparently world-famous bouncer (and NYU philosophy major) rumored to have "balls big enough to come in a dump truck."

Dalton has been hired to deal with the group of "40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry"* who have been hurting business at a rural Missouri bar known as the Double Deuce.
    He makes it clear right from the beginning: "I'm telling you straight: it's my way, or the highway."

He has only three rules:

Expect the unexpected.
    Take it outside. Never start anything inside the bar unless it's absolutely necessary.
    Dalton: "Be nice. If somebody gets in your face and calls you a co*I love to do what I just said*er, I want you to be nice. Ask him to walk. Be nice. If he won't walk, walk him. But be nice. If you can't walk him, one of the others will help you, and you'll both be nice. I want you to remember that it's a job. It's nothing personal. ... I want you to be nice, until it's time not to be nice."

Dalton: "You won't. I'll let you know. You are the bouncers. I am the cooler. All you have to do is watch my back, and each others', and take out the trash."
    Note how, in explaining the third rule, he also establishes a clear hierarchy of responsibilities - he is the "cooler," and is responsible for knowing what to do.
    As bouncers, they must work together as a team, with everyone filling their designated role.

The next night, Dalton successfully cleans the bar of ruffians and fat, drunk rednecks.
    The night after that, the bar is inexplicably filled to capacity, despite the fact that it is in a rural town of roughly 800 people.
    The way the Vikings are playing right now is similar to the way the Double Deuce was able to attract the patronage of every man, woman, and child within 50 miles.

Very nice post my friend.
    Very nice indeed.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Exactly.
    Going into this year they said that "this year will be to see if tjack is the QB of the future" so.. yea
    Not only TJ but alot of youngsters my friend.

;D

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:

He has only three rules:

Expect the unexpected.

Note how, in explaining the third rule, he also establishes a clear hierarchy of responsibilities - he is the "cooler," and is responsible for knowing what to do.

Very nice post my friend.
    Very nice indeed.
    awesome analogy BBQ, i loved it lol

& Marrdo said it was a good post, so it had to be

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

A couple more points.

Like someone else said, regardless of what people thought about TJack before, the man is 6-2 so far as an NFL starter.

If we began the season as a "developmental year," that's history. Right now we are in the thick of the playoff chase.

No doubt. Let's give the Pukes a massive ass-whoppin' next year.

In the article, Troy Williamson sounded very alienated. I hope Coach Childress goes the extra mile to mend fences. TWill is still very, very young, very, very fast, and has a major upside. He's already shown he can progress by taking on the challenge of his vision. He is not making huge money, and he will be key at WR, whether that is starting or a #3 or even #4. Yes we drafted him at #7 overall, but that was simply based on his 40-yard dash time. At this point, we should do all we can to keep our #1 picks, and TWill can be a contributor for many years to come. Mend fences, Coach!

Go Vikings!

I am glad that TWill was out this week since Allison had a .. 34? yard catch, and a KO TD.
    But I agree VF, i want to see TWill on the team too, i think he could be a potentially powerful WR

- Dan Calabrese

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast