Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Childress hides as Vikings mum

Caine:
    I know that Powers has his e-mail address at the end of his article but I don't want to send a letter to him. I want management to see the letter I am going to write. Who did you send you letter to? Did you e-mail it?
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Prophet Guest

"Caine" wrote:
    Copy of the email I sent to the Editor of the Pioneer Press about the article:...
    Glad you took time to write to them, let us know their response. It should be interesting.

"Turboe" wrote:
    Coach Childress is actually a stage name for Bart Bryant. Look on the bright side Bart (I mean Coach Childress) is leading the event as of yesterday.
    :lol: , that is awesome.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"Caine" wrote:
    Copy of the email I sent to the Editor of the Pioneer Press about the article:

I recently read Tom Power's article about the Vikings recent silence towards the media...and all I can think to say is, "Someone sounds bitter".

It never ceases to amaze me how a reporter (and I use the term loosely) seems to think that their job (reporting news) somehow means that they should be granted full access to, well, everything. And, God forbid, should anyone or anything somehow restrict or curtail that access, those same "reporters" start launching tirades at the unwillingness of the entity involved to share information. Which leads me to my first question; "At which point did Mr. Powers buy controlling interest in the Vikings?"

I ask this because, as a privately held entity, the Vikings are under absolutely no legal or moral obligation to share any information whatsoever with Mr. Powers...or anyone else. They do not have to discuss potential free agent signings, possible draft selections, trade possibilities, roster cuts, or any of the other Viking related issues which Mr. Powers believes (it would seem) to be his right/duty/obligation to "report". By the same token, Mr. Powers is not obligated to reveal his spending habits, bank account numbers, or credit worthiness with us - the reading public. The difference is, we're not asking him to.

I couldn't help but notice the various titles Mr. Powers attributed to the people in charge of the Vikings. We went from the "Triangle of Authority" (Coined by Mr. Wilf I believe), to the "Rectangle of Rubes", to the "Pentagon of Pinheads". I'm sure that after unveiling those oh-so-clever (yet oh-so-juvenile) titles, the Viking staff is in a panic trying to find Mr. Powers private line so that they can answer his every question and solicit his opinion on any and all Viking related decisions they will make now or in the future. I know I would be. Well...maybe not.

When Mr. Wilf announced that they (The Vikings) would no longer be as forthcoming with information, I - and many other fans - rejoiced. Finally, we wouldn't telegraph our every move. We wouldn't be spoon feeding every other NFL franchise our hopes, dreams, and aspirations.

The reporters (and again, I use the term loosely), acted like they'd been deported to China, and asked to write exclusively in Swahili (even though they don't speak Swahili in China...didn't want to confuse any reporters you may read this to). In essence, once the golden spoon of Viking insider info was removed, they threw a giant hissy fit. What's the matter? Have they gotten so used to the Vikings doing their job for them that they've forgotten how? If that's the case, perhaps you should seek out some new reporters...or, rather, some REAL reporters.

This brings me to my second question; "When Mr. Powers talks about the information blackout, and the "people" who are becoming concerned, does he have anyone specific in mind, or is he merely speculating?"

It seems to me that a lot of speculation by the press has lead to a lot of bad things in the past. The press speculated - to no end - that the Vikings would try and trade Randy Moss after his Lambeau incident January 9th of 2005. They speculated quite a lot about Randy's "behavioral issues" and it's alleged negative impact on the team. So, the Vikings traded him. That, of course, lead to the press crucifying the Vikings for trading away the best receiver in the NFL.

More recently, we had the Daunte Culpepper debacle. The press speculated for WEEKS that the Vikings were trying to move Culpepper. They listed teams they believed to be interested, they pestered the Viking staff and ownership about it, and they ran amok with nothing to create a sensationalistic stir when none existed. Then, once a problem arose (Likely from Daunte reading said blather and having his feelings hurt), they IMMEDIATELY blamed the Vikings for trading him.

How much worse would it be to have these same people with access to information BEFORE it becomes fact? These people who create issues where none exist - just to sell copy - then blame the Vikings for having to respond to it? Again, and this is simply my opinion, this doesn't sound like the kind of people I would want to share information with. Perhaps Randy Moss was a lot smarter than you guys thought when he elected NOT to talk to the media (I know I always thought he was).

When all is said and done, Mr. Powers' article didn't sway my opinion one iota in his direction. It simply reaffirmed my belief that the media should be kept as far away as possible during any and all activities which could have an impact upon the Vikings team and/or organization as a whole. Mr. Powers job - if I understand what a reporter truly is - is to report the truth...not his version of it. It is to gather information - factual information of course - and relay it to the reading public (Who may or may not be interested in it) and allow THEM to make up their own minds about it. Not to launch a petulant tirade about being cut out of the information loop while criticizing every decision he becomes aware of and insulting those who made them.

While I realize that I run some risk in picking a fight with the guy who gets the last word (After all, I neither own nor work for a newspaper), this kind of juvenile journalism really ticks me off. So, for the record, let me say to Mr. Powers that I am NOT concerned by the recent actions of the Viking Organization. I have every faith and confidence that they are doing what they feel is best for the organization, and that they have a far greater understanding of what is needed and required to take the Vikings - and, vicariously, their fans - to the Superbowl. After all, they have all the REAL insider information...and they aren't sharing. Good for them!!!

J. Walker
    Janesville, WI
    Viking Fan since birth (1966)

Whiney reporters tick me off.

Caine

Way to go Mr. Walker.... That was a great response to the article that the idiot wrote... Now I bet that they overlook these types of responses when a concerned reader sends them in. They probably don't take it as a insult, seeing as though they are pathetic journalists that have to make stuff up just to sell a paper.

I can't stand people like that, and I am very happy that Childress and Wilf are being quiet, and keeping these fools in the dark. Now I know that your response will not keep them from talking out of their bum's, I just wonder when the next total lie article will be posted? Good job Caine, you pretty much talked for alot of us fans when sending that in. :grin:

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"Turboe" wrote:
    I just figured out why Childress has not been readily available for the media for the last week. And it isnt as much of a conspiracy plot as the media would like to believe.

It is simple. It dawned on me just a few seconds ago as I was sitting here watching the TiVo of yesterdays golf coverage of the Bay Hill Invitational. I was watching when I noticed Childress was playing in the event. I thought I recognized him when the Viking introduced him at their press conference several months ago (and it wasnt from seeing him on the Eagles staff). Although he is definitely trying to make Eagles.

Coach Childress is actually a stage name for Bart Bryant. Look on the bright side Bart (I mean Coach Childress) is leading the event as of yesterday.

Go Coach!!!!

LOL, wow that does look just like him... Scary isn't it?

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

Caine, great letter man. Im a smart guy but am horrible at English and can never seem to get what I'm thinking on paper (or email). So thank you for taking the time to put together such an articulate article in response to this goofball.

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

fromos is offline Rookie

Well, the thing to keep in mind here is this is the off-season. How many press releases and news conferences must the Vikings be giving when the season got over about a month ago?

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    The writer may be pissed, I would be too.

If Childress can do a XM radio gig, but can't do a local PC, that is bogus.

It sounds to me like another PISSING MATCH that our coach has gotten himself into.

Like the writer said, he better win. If he doesn't, all of the writers will have nothing good to say at all. Public opinion is easily swayed by the Press, and he is not looking too good so far to them. The fans and the ticket holders will be calling for his head.

Hopefully it will change after the draft.
    Tommy's whole premise is null and void because of this article. He let his emotions dictate his questionable journalistic skills and came out of the deal looking like a fool.
    Yes he does look foolish.

What I wrote was simply what I think will happen if things don't change.

Parcels for example, HATES, I mean HATES the press. But, even he knows you have to give some fodder to them. It just isn't good to give them nothing.

Reporters are no longer reporters, they are now all half editors doing editorials or stories, not reporters doing reporting.

I agree and see logic in what Cain wrote in his letter. I just think that it could be handled better on the Vikings side. They need to get someone in there to advise them on PR.

The only thing I can think of is that they are trying to send the message that we won't play ball until we get the positive stories and get help promoting our stadium in your papers.

Prophet Guest

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    The writer may be pissed, I would be too.

If Childress can do a XM radio gig, but can't do a local PC, that is bogus.

It sounds to me like another PISSING MATCH that our coach has gotten himself into.

Like the writer said, he better win. If he doesn't, all of the writers will have nothing good to say at all. Public opinion is easily swayed by the Press, and he is not looking too good so far to them. The fans and the ticket holders will be calling for his head.

Hopefully it will change after the draft.
    Tommy's whole premise is null and void because of this article. He let his emotions dictate his questionable journalistic skills and came out of the deal looking like a fool.
    Yes he does look foolish.

What I wrote was simply what I think will happen if things don't change.

Parcels for example, HATES, I mean HATES the press. But, even he knows you have to give some fodder to them. It just isn't good to give them nothing.

Reporters are no longer reporters, they are now all half editors doing editorials or stories, not reporters doing reporting.

I agree and see logic in what Cain wrote in his letter. I just think that it could be handled better on the Vikings side. They need to get someone in there to advise them on PR.

The only thing I can think of is that they are trying to send the message that we won't play ball until we get the positive stories and get help promoting our stadium in your papers.
    Yes, there is always room for improvement in the PR department for any organization. People are people, they (Childress et al. and local reporters) have to build up a rapport with each other. There are more pressing issues at hand as I see it.

The perception of the organization is key in getting a new stadium. I'm sure Childress' participation in the stadium issue meeting last night was not optional. I'm convinced that he would have gone to the hearing even if it was optional.

I disagree that there is a conspiracy within the Vikings organization regarding only leaking information if it will be used in a positive light. That would be impossible unless they hired their own drone reporters and infiltrated the local media. Sure, Wilf wants positive light shed on the team because he wants the stadium issue resolved in his favor.

I'm more on the side that they have overlooked the possibility of using the media rather then having the media use them. The moronic reporters will continue to be moronic, the good reporters (are there any left?) will report the facts and add their personal opinion to the mix, but you should be able to differentiate between the facts and opinions.

My long-winded response can be summarized by, yeah, it appears they do need a better professional PR person working within the organization.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

WOW! Sid Hartman has got TWO GREAT ARTICLES on the Vikings in two days. He talks about the Childress/Daunte fiasco to some length. Where did he get his information?????
    Well, he went to a press conference by Childress, he mentions. Gee, I wonder why Powers wasn't there.
    Here's a link to Sid's article in the Tribune today which Singer has posted under the heading: "Childress: Money was Culpepper's main focus"
    http://www.startribune.com/507/story/312796.html
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Caine:
    I know that Powers has his e-mail address at the end of his article but I don't want to send a letter to him. I want management to see the letter I am going to write. Who did you send you letter to? Did you e-mail it?
    I actually sent the letter to the Editor's addy - probably get lost somewhere in the shuffle and they'll instead print some blather about some fat lady complaining about theatre seats being too narrow...or McDonald's coffee being too hot.

The addy I used was [email protected]

I'm toying with the idea of sending one to Mr Powers personally, but I - truthfully - didn't see his addy on the version I read. Plus, I had been "alive and kicking" for almost 24 hours when I wrote it (I have now slept...yay me). The final reason I sent it where I did is "Accountability".

I figure that Tom Powers has to answer to his boss...just like most of us do. And if his boss saw the letter, he might start asking questions. Sending it to Powers himself would stop the process right there as he could simply ignore it and move on. So, I wanted someone else to see it as well...ANYONE else.

I am finding that as I get older and grumpier, what passes for news begins to infuriate me. I'm tired of reading editorializations of issues - I want the FACTS. I want both sides of the story, unaltered, and the freedom to make up my own mind about what is right, wrong, or beneath notice. I don't need my opinion fed to me in pre-chewed form.

I don't see this very often. The Sid Hartman article (About the Childress press conference) was an EXCELLENT piece. It told me what transpired, gave me the meat of the information to chew on, and had just a smattering of Mr. Hartman's opinion tossed in for seasoning. I can live with that.

What I can't live with is a full piece loaded with nothing but opinion, conjecture, and derision. That's not news, that's a rant. And rants belong in Op/Ed pieces, not mixed in with real news.

Truth be told, I will be shocked if they reply. I doubt they will. The last thing they are likely to want is someone calling them out about their apparant inability to do their jobs without the Vikings spoon feeding them. It would make them look like what they are...whining biatches.

Caine

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast