Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    enlvikeman is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Childress hides as Vikings mum

What is the difference between a news reporter and a bucket of dog poopie...?

The bucket

"24 mil under the cap? there are teams 30 mil over the cap, heck that gives us at least 50 mil to spend"

CollegeGuyJeff circa 2006

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

He is not the only one, Reusse the old curmudgeon did an article over a month ago about the Vikings not talking, and some talk shows are taking shots on the Vikings because they are being left out. They were so used to Tice telling them every move he was going to make, and Tice calling out players in the media every other week.

I think the Vikings should have held a new conference for the local media and announced that Daunte was traded, but the do not have to be like Tice either!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

The writer may be pissed, I would be too.

If Childress can do a XM radio gig, but can't do a local PC, that is bogus.

It sounds to me like another PISSING MATCH that our coach has gotten himself into.

Like the writer said, he better win. If he doesn't, all of the writers will have nothing good to say at all. Public opinion is easily swayed by the Press, and he is not looking too good so far to them. The fans and the ticket holders will be calling for his head.

Hopefully it will change after the draft.

Prophet Guest

"snowinapril" wrote:
    The writer may be pissed, I would be too.

If Childress can do a XM radio gig, but can't do a local PC, that is bogus.

It sounds to me like another PISSING MATCH that our coach has gotten himself into.

Like the writer said, he better win. If he doesn't, all of the writers will have nothing good to say at all. Public opinion is easily swayed by the Press, and he is not looking too good so far to them. The fans and the ticket holders will be calling for his head.

Hopefully it will change after the draft.
    Tommy's whole premise is null and void because of this article. He let his emotions dictate his questionable journalistic skills and came out of the deal looking like a fool.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

So does that make the media a Gaggle of Goobers?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

I just figured out why Childress has not been readily available for the media for the last week. And it isnt as much of a conspiracy plot as the media would like to believe.

It is simple. It dawned on me just a few seconds ago as I was sitting here watching the TiVo of yesterdays golf coverage of the Bay Hill Invitational. I was watching when I noticed Childress was playing in the event. I thought I recognized him when the Viking introduced him at their press conference several months ago (and it wasnt from seeing him on the Eagles staff). Although he is definitely trying to make Eagles.

Coach Childress is actually a stage name for Bart Bryant. Look on the bright side Bart (I mean Coach Childress) is leading the event as of yesterday.

Go Coach!!!!

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Copy of the email I sent to the Editor of the Pioneer Press about the article:

I recently read Tom Power's article about the Vikings recent silence towards the media...and all I can think to say is, "Someone sounds bitter".

It never ceases to amaze me how a reporter (and I use the term loosely) seems to think that their job (reporting news) somehow means that they should be granted full access to, well, everything. And, God forbid, should anyone or anything somehow restrict or curtail that access, those same "reporters" start launching tirades at the unwillingness of the entity involved to share information. Which leads me to my first question; "At which point did Mr. Powers buy controlling interest in the Vikings?"

I ask this because, as a privately held entity, the Vikings are under absolutely no legal or moral obligation to share any information whatsoever with Mr. Powers...or anyone else. They do not have to discuss potential free agent signings, possible draft selections, trade possibilities, roster cuts, or any of the other Viking related issues which Mr. Powers believes (it would seem) to be his right/duty/obligation to "report". By the same token, Mr. Powers is not obligated to reveal his spending habits, bank account numbers, or credit worthiness with us - the reading public. The difference is, we're not asking him to.

I couldn't help but notice the various titles Mr. Powers attributed to the people in charge of the Vikings. We went from the "Triangle of Authority" (Coined by Mr. Wilf I believe), to the "Rectangle of Rubes", to the "Pentagon of Pinheads". I'm sure that after unveiling those oh-so-clever (yet oh-so-juvenile) titles, the Viking staff is in a panic trying to find Mr. Powers private line so that they can answer his every question and solicit his opinion on any and all Viking related decisions they will make now or in the future. I know I would be. Well...maybe not.

When Mr. Wilf announced that they (The Vikings) would no longer be as forthcoming with information, I - and many other fans - rejoiced. Finally, we wouldn't telegraph our every move. We wouldn't be spoon feeding every other NFL franchise our hopes, dreams, and aspirations.

The reporters (and again, I use the term loosely), acted like they'd been deported to China, and asked to write exclusively in Swahili (even though they don't speak Swahili in China...didn't want to confuse any reporters you may read this to). In essence, once the golden spoon of Viking insider info was removed, they threw a giant hissy fit. What's the matter? Have they gotten so used to the Vikings doing their job for them that they've forgotten how? If that's the case, perhaps you should seek out some new reporters...or, rather, some REAL reporters.

This brings me to my second question; "When Mr. Powers talks about the information blackout, and the "people" who are becoming concerned, does he have anyone specific in mind, or is he merely speculating?"

It seems to me that a lot of speculation by the press has lead to a lot of bad things in the past. The press speculated - to no end - that the Vikings would try and trade Randy Moss after his Lambeau incident January 9th of 2005. They speculated quite a lot about Randy's "behavioral issues" and it's alleged negative impact on the team. So, the Vikings traded him. That, of course, lead to the press crucifying the Vikings for trading away the best receiver in the NFL.

More recently, we had the Daunte Culpepper debacle. The press speculated for WEEKS that the Vikings were trying to move Culpepper. They listed teams they believed to be interested, they pestered the Viking staff and ownership about it, and they ran amok with nothing to create a sensationalistic stir when none existed. Then, once a problem arose (Likely from Daunte reading said blather and having his feelings hurt), they IMMEDIATELY blamed the Vikings for trading him.

How much worse would it be to have these same people with access to information BEFORE it becomes fact? These people who create issues where none exist - just to sell copy - then blame the Vikings for having to respond to it? Again, and this is simply my opinion, this doesn't sound like the kind of people I would want to share information with. Perhaps Randy Moss was a lot smarter than you guys thought when he elected NOT to talk to the media (I know I always thought he was).

When all is said and done, Mr. Powers' article didn't sway my opinion one iota in his direction. It simply reaffirmed my belief that the media should be kept as far away as possible during any and all activities which could have an impact upon the Vikings team and/or organization as a whole. Mr. Powers job - if I understand what a reporter truly is - is to report the truth...not his version of it. It is to gather information - factual information of course - and relay it to the reading public (Who may or may not be interested in it) and allow THEM to make up their own minds about it. Not to launch a petulant tirade about being cut out of the information loop while criticizing every decision he becomes aware of and insulting those who made them.

While I realize that I run some risk in picking a fight with the guy who gets the last word (After all, I neither own nor work for a newspaper), this kind of juvenile journalism really ticks me off. So, for the record, let me say to Mr. Powers that I am NOT concerned by the recent actions of the Viking Organization. I have every faith and confidence that they are doing what they feel is best for the organization, and that they have a far greater understanding of what is needed and required to take the Vikings - and, vicariously, their fans - to the Superbowl. After all, they have all the REAL insider information...and they aren't sharing. Good for them!!!

J. Walker
    Janesville, WI
    Viking Fan since birth (1966)

Whiney reporters tick me off.

Caine

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

I knew someone had to send something to Powers sooner or later about this .... :lol:

GREAT LETTER Caine !!! Keep fighting the good fight ... your going to have to let us know if you get a response ...

Prophet Guest

"cajunvike" wrote:
    So does that make the media a Gaggle of Goobers?
    Either that or a Colony of Cretins.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I love seeing reporters get their panties in a bunch when they don't get what they want... :grin:

Honestly, I don't live in Minnesota, but these reporters are far worse then the ones in Wisconsin, and that is bad. I use to believe that the reporters in Wisconsin were pathetic, but Minnesota's beat them.

You can just see all those idiots in the same room, figuring what they are going to make up so someone will speak to them. Do they realize that when they post these stupid articles, that maybe Childress and the rest of the staff won't talk to them? I agree with Childress, Fu@k the press, it's none of their dam business what is going on with the game plan at Winter Park.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast