Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Childress hides as Vikings mum

Posted on Fri, Mar. 17, 2006

[size=18px]Childress hides as Vikings mum[/size]

This is getting serious. Vikings fans have cause for alarm. It's been approximately 72 hours since one of the great players in Vikings history was traded to the Miami Dolphins. There still hasn't been a Brad Childress sighting. Nor have we heard the slightest peep emanating from his bunker at Winter Park.

Perhaps he is in a coma somewhere, hooked up to life support while waiting for, say, a kidney transplant. If we could just confirm that, we might be able to organize a plasma drive on his behalf.

Short of major organ failure, however, there is no other satisfactory explanation for his Howard Hughes-like behavior. The worst-case scenario is that he deems himself above speaking with the Twin Cities media and thereby disseminating information to the large Vikings fan base throughout the upper Midwest.

I bring that up only because a couple of hours after the Culpepper trade on Tuesday -- before the deal was even official -- Childress spoke on national satellite radio. He discussed everything from the draft to his relationship with his former franchise quarterback.

By the way, he wouldn't give the local press the time of day on Tuesday. Or Wednesday. Or...

You might think someone from the Triangle of Authority would step in and inform the coach that although the team is privately owned, its success depends on public support. Most people, especially ticket holders, don't like being kept in total darkness.

But this whole Triangle of Authority keeps shifting shape. The only person who appears willing to speak about anything, even in general terms, is owner Zygi Wilf. And he refers most football-related questions to the coach, who isn't talking.

Ever read "Catch-22?"

Zygi isn't technically in the triangle, so we had to expand it from the Triangle of Authority to the Rectangle of Rubes. Now I'm hearing that certain Vikings staff members are directing inquiries to Lester Bagley, who is routinely tight-lipped.

This brings us up to a Pentagon of Pinheads. Such is life in the increasingly haughty NFL, which tries to control and manipulate the news. Look around the league, and you'll find a large number of one-dimensional head coaches who view the world in terms of X's and O's. They see communicating with the fan base, via the media or in other ways, as a bother and beneath them.

Nick Saban, another beauty in Miami, slipped Culpepper out the back door so he didn't have to speak to the assembled media after the trade. His reasoning, as I understood it, was that it wouldn't be fair to all the other Dolphins who weren't having a news conference on that day.

There's a shining example of an NFL coach's mind for you. But at least Saban sat and answered questions about the trade. Childress apparently was in his bunker, making sure he had enough canned goods to withstand an enemy siege.

After experiencing life with Red McCombs, it didn't seem possible that the new regime could wind up looking secretive and shady. Somehow, against all odds, they are managing to do just that.

At first, it seemed that most Vikings fans didn't care at all about the information blackout. Some thought the media, widely considered to be pro-Mike Tice, was being overly critical. That attitude appears to be shifting. People are wondering what is going on. What's the plan? What are the priorities? Has Brad Johnson definitely been anointed as the top quarterback or might a free agent be given a chance to win the job?
    Do they need to draft someone who can play right away? Where does the defense need to upgrade? Where does Onterrio Smith fit in? How many cans of evaporated milk do you keep in the bunker?

The good news is that if Childress wins, people won't care if he communicates or if he collects two-headed chickens. Winning is really all that matters.

And in a further effort to maintain a positive attitude, I'm choosing to believe he has a very good reason for becoming the Howard Hughes of head coaches.

I'm sticking with the failing kidney theory.

TOM POWERS is a columnist for the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

Childress hides as Vikings mum

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Childress hides as Vikings mum

LMAO! Someone in the media is getting pissed because Childress isn't spoon-feeding him day-to-day business information that is private.

Jarlvik2006 is offline Rookie

"singersp" wrote:
    LMAO! Someone in the media is getting pissed because Childress isn't spoon-feeding him day-to-day business information that is private.

He wouldn't even aknowledge his name in the article.
    No kidding! I guess this "journalist" would prefer that we tell him everything so he can print it and tip our hand to all future plans.

Sometimes "Silence is Golden".
    I m Watching You- You may not see me, you may not hear me, but I m watching you...

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

It's Tom Powers from the Pioneer Press ... bottom of article.

But, LMFAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love EVERY DAMN MINUTE OF IT !!!! Damn local media been bashing the local sports teams long enough, finally someone is pointing out to them that they are no longer relevant. In today's day and age, you want to act like a turd and continually show turdish behavior, there are PLENTY of other outlets to leak information or to speak if needed. "ICE" their a$$'s out and give them nothing. Then they result to personal attacks like in this article ..... LOVE IT !!!!!

Prophet Guest

Poor Tommy Powers. Thankfully they aren't telling everything in the plans like a former coach loved to do. Maybe Duluth's weather is freezing his brain.

"mnjamie" wrote:
    It's Tom Powers from the Pioneer Press
    Thanx Jamie. I missed it when I pasted the article. It's fixed now.

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

Tom powers is a fraking awsome name. i wish i had that name.
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

SWAYZE74 is offline Starter

i dont read the star tribune, but are they that big of tools up there? the iowa media is only concernd with the weather and corn...and pink locker rooms...

peace...
    peace...

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

I luv it..

this reporter is outside the triangle
    this reporter attacks the triangle
    this reporter shows his ignorance
    this reporter needs to be used as a target dummy for Phat Pat!!!

great article.. i wonder how many people are gonna spam the Trib for this one!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Calmwind is offline Starter

Total trash article. What a whinny baby. This reads like he was up at 3am tring to figure out what to write about, and just decided to flame the Vikes because he has nothing to write on.
    Del Rio: "Football will go on, better players have left the Vikings, and better players will leave in the future.....the game rolls on."

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast