Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

Re: Childress Haters Rejoice!

"CCthebest" wrote:
    Or maybe when your team has gotten progressionaly worse, and makes stupid turnovers, penalties and dropped passes, the HC isnt doing his job right? Maybe take someone who has more INTs then TDs, or gets called for penalties all the time, or drops passes, out of the game for a week or more?
    Maybe, unless of course since you are the coach and you know more about the players on your team then the fans do, you have a hard time sitting someone because through practice and execution you know that the person backing up the guy making mistakes is not good enough to increase your chance to win, when your team has lost by one score all year long.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

AS the HC, it is your job to adjust as required to improve your team...Childress has been very slow to do that.
    A few examples of that:

O-Line:
    Anyone else notice how much time Brad Johnson had once Hicks and Johnson were removed from the line?
    Suddenly, instead of a turnstile, we had a hedge.
    Sure, it was a small hedge, and the leaves were all falling off, and the dog crapped in it, but it was more than we had before.

And it only took 10 games to make the change.

Receivers:
    Troy Williamson, who has dropped more balls than he's caught (OK, not really, he's dropped 11 and caught 27....but you get the idea), is STILL listed as our #1 receiver.
    Does Childress honestly think that any team in the NFL is stupid enough to think that Troy gets a serious look at this point?

Time until change - 10 games and counting.

Defense:
    We played that zone 2 defense for 9 1/2 games.
    Soft coverage, big cushion, the works.
    The intent was to stop big plays....which we did, unless they put in Whitaker.
    Odd how once we closed the cushions and started popping people at the line the passing game locked up.

And it only took 9 1/2 games to figure that out.

Penalties:
    Ongoing problem.
    While much reduced against Detroit, Marcus Johnson still can't figure out the snap count.
    Let's see how long he stays on the pine.

Jury still out on change.

Play Calling:
    Childress' scheme is the same tired out short dump off scheme that has been the hallmark of the WCO since the WCO was created.
    Everyone knows what to expect.
    Teams that run it well have several aces up their sleeves.

• [li]An Elite QB[/li]
      [li]An Elite WR[/li]
      [li]An Elite RB[/li]

Usually, they have at least 2 of the 3.
    We have none of the above.
    Chester is the closest thing we have, but I wouldn't go crowning him "Elite" just yet.
    He's what I call "servicable".

So, Childress is trying to run an outmoded Offense without the talent to pull it off.
    Still awaiting change.

Now, as was mentioned earlier, new HC's get 3 years.
    Childress willl get his 3, but he'd better start showing drastic improvement next season.
    I doubt that Viking fans are going to tolerate too many sub-.500 seasons after bringing him in after a 9-7 season.
    By rights, he should have been able to hit at least 9-7...right now, that's a long shot.

Caine

Just to compare some coaches and their first few years with their respective teams...

Bill Belichick/Patriots

2000: 5-11
    2001: 11-5 (won Super Bowl)
    2002: 9-7
    2003: 14-2

Bud Grant/Vikings

1967: 3-8-3
    1968: 8-6
    1969: 12-2 (lost Super Bowl)
    1970: 12-2

Mike Holmgren/Packers

1992: 9-7
    1993: 9-7
    1994: 9-7
    1995: 11-5

Andy Reid/Eagles

1999: 5-11
    2000: 11-5
    2001: 11-5
    2002: 12-4

D!ck Vermeil/Rams

1997: 5-11
    1998: 4-12
    1999: 13-3 (won Super Bowl)

D!ck Vermeil/Chiefs

2001: 6-10
    2002: 8-8
    2003: 13-3

Bill Walsh/49ers

1979: 2-14
    1980: 6-10
    1981: 13-3 (won Super Bowl)

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/teams.nsf

Even babies know the difference.

Del Rio Guest

"Caine" wrote:
    AS the HC, it is your job to adjust as required to improve your team...Childress has been very slow to do that.
    A few examples of that:

O-Line:
    Anyone else notice how much time Brad Johnson had once Hicks and Johnson were removed from the line?
    Sure, it was a small hedge, and the leaves were all falling off, and the dog crapped in it, but it was more than we had before.

Receivers:
    Troy Williamson, who has dropped more balls than he's caught (OK, not really, he's dropped 11 and caught 27....but you get the idea), is STILL listed as our #1 receiver.
    Does Childress honestly think that any team in the NFL is stupid enough to think that Troy gets a serious look at this point?

Defense:
    Odd how once we closed the cushions and started popping people at the line the passing game locked up.

Penalties:
    Ongoing problem.
    While much reduced against Detroit, Marcus Johnson still can't figure out the snap count.

Play Calling:
    Childress' scheme is the same tired out short dump off scheme that has been the hallmark of the WCO since the WCO was created.

• [li]An Elite QB[/li]
      [li]An Elite WR[/li]
      [li]An Elite RB[/li]

Chester is the closest thing we have, but I wouldn't go crowning him "Elite" just yet.

So, Childress is trying to run an outmoded Offense without the talent to pull it off.
    Still awaiting change.

Childress willl get his 3, but he'd better start showing drastic improvement next season.
    I doubt that Viking fans are going to tolerate too many sub-.500 seasons after bringing him in after a 9-7 season.
    By rights, he should have been able to hit at least 9-7...right now, that's a long shot.

Caine
    O-line: The change had no noticable effect. Still getting pressured, still taking big sacks, still penalties. Change is great but sometimes you have to ask yourself if you have two pair of underwear and they are both dirty what difference does it really make?

WR's: You have what you have. He is dropping passes which means he is getting open. Now if Childress see's our other WR's lack the abilty to get open then what choice does he have. Come on guys, our WR core is a bunch of has beens and should have beens. I don't even understand this angle.

Defense: This one is great because (and I know you don't do this Caine) but people give Tomlin credit for everything, he is the best coach we have, he calls the defense, on and on and yet somehow it is Childress' fault that the zone is being played.

Penalties: I don't really see how any of this falls on Childress. Our whole line with the exception of Hutch has been getting called for penalties all year, even Wittle who was a replacement.

Play Calling: It is the WCO it will continue to be the WCO. Everyone in football knows what to expect of everyone. It always comes down to execution. How many times do you see a guy running free down the field open? Not very often and the reason is these teams are well prepared, they know your sets, they know your plays, and what it comes down to is who is going to get the job done. At the point of impact who is going to win the battle. Our crappy plays worked mighty fine agains the Hawks. Find a system in football that works without elite players.

The WCO is valid. No offense would work if it faced the turmoil ours has. Last week we were the second most penalized team on offense in the entire NFL. I haven't checked this week, but find me an offense that runs great WCO or not when you have as many mistakes as we have.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"Caine" wrote:
    A few examples of that:

O-Line:

Receivers:

Defense:

Penalties:
    Ongoing problem.

Play Calling:

• [li]An Elite QB[/li]
      [li]An Elite WR[/li]
      [li]An Elite RB[/li]

Still awaiting change.

Caine
    The increased time BJ had wsa noticable in the Dolphins game.
    Hopefully that will improve on the right.
    The Willliamson at #1 has me baffled too, suspect.
    Bethel Johnson shows some promise, that was a change.
    The offseason woes at WR with the whole high-speed ordeal a few days after the morons on MNF were throwing accolades at K-Rob was pathetic.
    The receiving corps has underperformed in dramatic fashion.

The D secondary has been suspect the whole season, I think Del pointed that out after the first game.
    The run D has obviously been outstanding...the one-dimensional approach the Vikings have forced their opponents into should make coaching the secondary easier???
    I would sure think so.
    I've been disappointed with the lack of pressure the D has been putting on the QBs.
    The GB game in particular.
    WTH, they can't pressure Favre with our stud D-line and two rookies on the Packers line?

Penalties have improved somewhat, but the timing of penalites still has been the archilles heel in a few games.

Looking at the four game slide it appears to be a long shot to finish strong.
    Looking at the schedule it is doable.
    I'm still sticking by my 9-7 finish.

The whole WCO spiel is on.
    Most didn't think Williamson was going to stink it up this bad this year.
    Nobody thought BJ was the QB of the future, we haven't seen him yet.
    Childress is banking on Tarvaris being the 'elite' QB in the not so distant future.
    That still leaves the Vikings without a #1 WR.
    I have no problems with Chester being called servicable, that is good in the NFL.
    I don't see him being a L. Tomlinson, but I think he can be a top 10 RB in the league for receiving and rushing.
    If Tarvaris pans out like Childress' hopes and they pick up a #1 WR through free agency all will be well in the world....the lines will always be a focus based on the first sentence uttered out of Childress' mouth pertaining to the Vikings when he accepted the HC job.

One of the big obstacles on whether Childress has the nads to get the job done is how he pulls the team together after the slide and funk they are in.
    They don't need much improvement to turn the games into Ws, one fricken score determined five of the losses.
    How he handles the season the rest of the way out will be one of the determining factors on whether or not he gets a + or - in my rating scale, for whatever that's worth.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

That is what happens when you lose 4 games in a row.
    Confidence dwindles!

Gift is offline Coordinator

"Del" wrote:
    Someone has to take the blame. The fans tried to pin it on BJ, but Childress would not budge, so now he is the fall guy.
    Bingo!
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

THe head coach is always the first to be praised and the first to be crapped on

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

If I were a Childress hater, I wouldn't uncork the bubbly just yet...

Typically in these sorts of polls, there are at least four choices given:
    1. Approve
    2. Neutral
    3. Do Not Approve
    4. I live under a rock and only come out when when I smell pork rinds or the local TV-news station needs someone to interview (AKA "I Don't Know").

This poll for coaches' approval ratings only gives us one of these four figures. It's basically inconceivable that 13% approve and 87% don't approve. If I had to guess, I'd say that probably the overwhelming majority are in the the category I myself am currently in: Neutral (more or less). So just because only 13% actually approve doesn't mean that 87% want BC's head on a platter, though it can sometimes seem like it round here...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Excuses are fine, but the fact remains we are not getting the play we should from our players. Anybody who has watched the team the last few weeks that I have talked to has said the same thing, they are playing without direction, emotion or conviction like they were earlier in the year.

Childress might be a rookie coach but he was given a stable team, some top notch draft picks and the biggest salary cap checkbook of any coach to work with. He came in with the triangle of authority that brought in the,staff,the new talent and the scheme that he wanted. I do not feel that having higher expectations for the team considering all of this is out of line.Yes, we did lose some receivers at the start of the season but there were players out there that we could have gone after but instead were told that McMullen and Williamson would be fine. Compare that to the Packers who had a hard time finding a coach and supposedly on McCarthy, who was roundly trashed on this site and others. The Packers were wrote off as the worst team in the league and they came out and kicked the crap out of our guys on our home field. McCarthy had less talent and did not have the ability to bring in a huge staff to support him, he is starting 2 rookies and untested linemen and lost a star wide out to Denver when he forced a trade. At this point their team is improving and ours is starting to crack. If the players cannot execute the scheme, it would seem that adapting the scheme to the players would be a wise choice.

To say we have no talent on offense is interesting because in nearly every game we take the ball down the field and score. That tells me that the players can execute a game plan. But after that point the coaching staff does not adjust to or anticipate the changes that the opposition will make and we flounder. If the players were inept or talentless they would not be able to march down the field on opening drives with scripted plays, they would do the same dumb things they do the rest of the game.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast