singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Childress has no motorcycle rules

Posted on Wed, Jun. 14, 2006

[size=18px]Childress has no motorcycle rules[/size]

JON KRAWCZYNSKI
    Associated Press

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress said the team doesn't have a policy prohibiting players from riding motorcycles, even after Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was injured in an accident.

Roethlisberger, the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl, suffered multiple facial fractures when his motorcycle was hit by a car at a busy Pittsburgh intersection earlier this week.

On Wednesday at a developmental practice, Childress was asked if the Vikings would discourage their players from riding motorcycles or other "risky" behaviors.

"No, we don't have a policy, but I think if you go up and look in that (parking) lot, I don't believe you'll see a motorcycle up there," Childress said. "Not that I don't know that they don't own motorcycles. I think that that's probably a pretty big eye-opener for those guys."

The Steelers hope to have Roethlisberger back for some of training camp and the start of the regular season. But the scary injury hasn't prompted Childress to revisit the team's policy, though he may warn his players to be careful when they leave the field.

"At a point as they leave here I am sure I'll have something to say, and maybe not specifically about that," Childress said. "But that's why they call them accidents, and you have to be vigilant. You only get to play this game so long and you want to play as long as you can."

KLUWE UPDATE: Punter Chris Kluwe had an impressive rookie season, but a knee injury suffered near season's end has kept him from participating in the team's offseason practices and mini-camps.

Kluwe again was on the sidelines Wednesday, leaving the punting duties to rookie free agent John Torp.

Childress said he is optimistic Kluwe will make a full recovery.

"I'm not concerned right now from the standpoint that his rehab has progressed," Childress said. "He's been diligent about that. Obviously he's a proven commodity kicking the football. There's not a lot of data on how guys come back from (torn) ACLs on kicking legs, so we'll just have to see.

"In a perfect world, he comes back and he's stronger than ever."

Receivers Troy Williamson (hip) and Jimmy Redmond (hamstring) and defensive backs Marvin Ward (hamstring) and Tank Williams (knee) also did not practice with minor injuries.

Williamson has a doctor's appointment on Thursday to examine his hip. He had an infection in the area of a skin graft received when he was 10 years old after he was severely burned in an accident.

Receiver/returner Koren Robinson also missed practice because one of his children was having surgery.

---

HITTING THE LINKS: The Vikings will hold a golf tournament to benefit the Minnesota Vikings Children's Fund on Thursday at Rush Creek Golf Club in Maple Grove.

Many current players, coaches and alumni will be there.

Brad Johnson, Koren Robinson, Steve Hutchinson, Mewelde Moore, Matt Birk and Travis Taylor are among the current players expected to attend.

Childress, as well as alumni including Chris Doleman, Joey Browner, Matt Blair, John Randle, Scott Studwell and Randall McDaniel also will be there.

Since 1978, the Viking Childrens Fund has distributed over $7.2 million, with $4.1 million supporting research at the University of Minnesota Department of Pediatrics.

Childress has no motorcycle rules

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Childress has no motorcycle rules

Just hope the Roethlisberger crash has opened all the players eyes.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

i imagine it has, but then again, the winslow crash didnt open roethlisberger's

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    i imagine it has, but then again, the winslow crash didnt open roethlisberger's
    true

Posted on Thu, Jun. 15, 2006

[size=18px]Vikings won't ban motorcycles[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

Coach Brad Childress said the Vikings will not implement a policy related to riding motorcycles, in the wake of Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's accident this week.

"We don't have a policy," Childress said. "But I think if you go up and look in that lot, I don't believe you'll see a motorcycle up there. I think that that's probably a pretty big eye opener for those guys. I know (Seattle Seahawks coach) Mike Holmgren, (Philadelphia Eagles coach) Andy Reid, some of those guys have (motorcycles). But I don't think they ride sans helmet.

"Accidents are tough, and you hate to have something happen to a good person and a good player like that."

Roethlisberger underwent seven hours of surgery after the crash Monday. He was not wearing a helmet, which is not required in Pennsylvania. The quarterback is expected to be released from the hospital within the next few days.

Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow missed the 2005 season because of a serious knee injury resulting from a motorcycle accident.

Though there will be no rule, Childress said the Vikings will stress a few points to players.

"That's why they call them accidents, and you have to be vigilant," Childress said. "You only get to play this game so long, and you want to play as long as you can."

Injury update: Vikings safety Tank Williams bumped his knee during a practice Tuesday and did not participate Wednesday for precautionary reasons. Receiver Troy Williamson (hip) and punter Chris Kluwe (right knee) are still out.

Kluwe has not been able to kick the ball, but Childress isn't too concerned.

"His rehab has progressed," the coach said. "You have to kind of go with that protocol. He's a proven commodity kicking the football."

Williamson has an appointment with a doctor today.

Receiver Koren Robinson was excused from practice for personal reasons.

Briefly: Childress said rookies will arrive for training camp July 27, along with selected veterans. The other players will arrive on July 30. The Vikings will be in Mankato, Minn., through Aug. 17.

Childress said there will be some workouts with the Kansas City Chiefs.

• Wednesday was the official one-year anniversary of the Wilf family taking over as the Vikings owners from Red McCombs.

NFL report: Roethlisberger's broken jaw did not have to be wired shut, a factor that could hasten his recovery from his motorcycle accident, and the Steelers quarterback got out of his hospital bed Wednesday to talk with teammates and family members.

Roethlisberger's doctors said additional tests again showed no brain injuries. CT scans taken shortly after Roethlisberger's motorcycle collided with a car at a Pittsburgh intersection Monday also showed no apparent problems.

• Cincinnati wide receiver Chris Henry was charged with providing alcohol to three underage females, his fourth arrest in the past seven months.

Henry, 23, surrendered to Kenton County (Ky.) authorities on three misdemeanor counts of unlawful transaction with a minor and posted $2,500 bond.

• Left tackle Brad Hopkins retired after 13 seasons, deciding to leave the game rather than play for a team other than the one that drafted him.

The Tennessee Titans released Hopkins in March for salary-cap reasons. He talked with the New York Jets, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Atlanta Falcons and an undisclosed fourth team but chose to stay in Nashville, Tenn., with his wife and four children.

Nobody started more games at left tackle in the NFL between 1993 and 2005 than Hopkins, who had 188 starts.

The Associated Press contributed to this report. Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

Vikings won't ban motorcycles

[size=18px]Roethlisberger Accident Hits Home [/size]

By: Viking Update Staff
    Date: Jun 18, 2006

The Minnesota Vikings don’t appear ready to be proactive on banning motorcycles or warning their players in light of the Ben Roethlisberger accident last Monday morning, but the topic has been talked about and it hits home especially with long-time followers of the team

Full article: Roethlisberger Accident Hits Home

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

More importantly, let's all hope that Kluwe comes back fully healthy!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

no §hit, hopefully kluwe & t-will are 100% come opening day

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=18px]Roethlisberger Accident Hits Home [/size]

By: Viking Update Staff
    Date: Jun 18, 2006

The Minnesota Vikings don’t appear ready to be proactive on banning motorcycles or warning their players in light of the Ben Roethlisberger accident last Monday morning, but the topic has been talked about and it hits home especially with long-time followers of the team

Full article: Roethlisberger Accident Hits Home
    Thats funny. Everybody knows the dangers of riding a motorcycle. You don't need a coach to tell you that.