Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 104
  1. #21
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Childress has eyes on entire picture

    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    He refused to give up the play calling even though we weren't doing jack crap on offense, he cut Marcus Robinson right around Christmas time for no apparent reason.. Robinson pretty much led our WR crew up to that point, and he lets him go.. If he had to cut someone, it should have been McMullen, or Williamson.. Neither of those two were worth a crap.. He made lots of rookie mistakes, now I hope he learned from them..
    Meh, McMullin scooped up a fumble for a TD one time.
    He looked pretty impressive on that yard it took him to run it in.
    Vikesfan - you do know there was a reason for cutting Robinson, right?
    I liked Robinson but evidently Chilly grew angry with Robinson because he voiced some strong opinions on how Chilly was running the offense and not using him enough.
    I agree with what you are saying but he didn't just cut Robinson out of the blue.
    It was becasue there was problems between the two of them.


    Unfortunately for Childress his only reason for releasing Robinson is because Robinson questioned his coaching abilities.. Robinson led our team at the WR position, and Childress was to big headed to have someone talk down on him.. He tried making way to big of an impact in his first year as a HC.. The drama of the Culpepper situation was enough, but he had to continue with Marcus Robinson.. He basically dumped our 2 best WR's in a matter of months.. Koren Robinson because he deserved it, and Marcus Robinson because he voiced his opinion.. If anything, I would say Robinson was right, Childress was lousy at calling plays, and changing the game plan.. If anything, Robinson should have been listened to a little more.. I hear ya though, friction between players, and coaches is recipe for disaster..
    All right, I've seen enough of this........

    Clearly, the coach has been cold toward Robinson's reaction to injuries. The receiver hurt his hamstring in a game against Carolina on Sept. 17 and was out the following week. He banged up his lower back in a game at Seattle on Oct. 22 and missed the next three games.
    Then came the surprising deactivation on Dec. 17 against the New York Jets, which Childress pinned on a hip flexor problem that had not been cited on that week's injury report. Robinson claimed he was fine, and a week later he criticized Childress in an interview published by the St. Paul Pioneer Press on Saturday.

    Though Robinson defended the offensive scheme and the play calling under Childress, he complained to the newspaper about mixed messages and a general lack of communication coming from the coach.
    On Wednesday, Childress insisted that was not the case.

    "I've spoken to him as much as anyone on this football team, one-on-one, and probably twice as much," Childress said. "That's exactly the way that it's been."
    It was a combination of injuries and disrespect to the coach that led to his dismissal.

    I don't know if any of you have ever played organized sports, but one rule always applies......

    The coaches make up the rules.
    The players abide by those rules. (I guess that really two rules
    ;D)
    If a player can't play through pain of minor injuries or tries to detract from the coaches authority he won't last long.

    Couple both of them together and you get dissssed just before Christmas.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  2. #22
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: Childress has eyes on entire picture

    Childress deals with player problems by:
    A. benching them.
    B. cutting them.

    I don't agree with it. Players and coaches disgree all the time, Childress ego > Childress' coaching skills thus far.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  3. #23
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Childress has eyes on entire picture

    "V" wrote:
    Childress deals with player problems by:
    A. benching them.
    B. cutting them.

    I don't agree with it. Players and coaches disgree all the time, Childress ego > Childress' coaching skills thus far.
    I see your point.
    Glad he handled Phat Pat and Winfield with such a firm hand.
    Should see something about thier immediate release shortly.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #24
    renovikesfan is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    772

    Re: Childress has eyes on entire picture


    I don't have a problem with the way Childress handled Robinson.
    He was in his first year coach as an NFL coach with the season going to crap because of injuries, penalties, and players not performing to their abilities.
    Is it a big surprise that he reacted the way he did to a player that was undermining his authority on top of everything else?


    Childress had to send a message, and I think he did what was necessary.
    Had he just shrugged his shoulders and shuffled his feet after Robinson's comments, it would have set a nasty example to the other players.

  5. #25
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Re: Childress has eyes on entire picture

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    Childress deals with player problems by:
    A. benching them.
    B. cutting them.

    I don't agree with it. Players and coaches disgree all the time, Childress ego > Childress' coaching skills thus far.
    I see your point.
    Glad he handled Phat Pat and Winfield with such a firm hand.
    Should see something about thier immediate release shortly.
    ;D
    Marrdro's on a tear today.
    ;D

    As a head coach you have to instill discipline.
    Without discipline (ala Tice) things happen that badly affects the ball club.
    As the HC Childress has every right to make the decisions he does.
    Some we agree with and some we don't.
    I'm sure if Robinson went to Childress tactfully things may have been different.
    I wasn't there so I do know th whole story.
    All I know is Robinson (as much as I liked him) did something to piss off Childress.
    Same with Culpepper.
    Childress did what he had to do with Culpepper and it was the right decision.
    Even if Robinson was the wrong decision he did what he thought was best for the club. Sometimes you are right and sometimes not.
    that's what comes with being HC.

  6. #26
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,840

    Re: Childress has eyes on entire picture

    Comments like Robinson's in the media are a distraction for the team in general...although, christmas eve and before the last game are a bit harsh, he'd most likely have been inactive anyway...to open up a look at the youth: Nance and Carter.
    The message: you're either on the boat or off.

    Seems to me the Winfield situation shows that BChill has learned some in his first year too...

    All in all, I like the gameplan.
    Run the Ball and Play Defense, It's old school, and its worked for years.
    Last year the pass protection, WR hands, and QB accuracy all sucked, so there we were...hopefully, the competition and/or experience will improve all areas somewhat!

    I'm betting he's got at least a three year window (possibly more) with the Wilfs...because of the
    commitment to a "high character" team...which was obviously not a quick fix.

    Keeping involved with the whole game seems like the plan to have, eh?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  7. #27
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: Childress has eyes on entire picture

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    Childress deals with player problems by:
    A. benching them.
    B. cutting them.

    I don't agree with it. Players and coaches disgree all the time, Childress ego > Childress' coaching skills thus far.
    I see your point.
    Glad he handled Phat Pat and Winfield with such a firm hand.
    Should see something about thier immediate release shortly.
    ;D
    Haha, Phat Pat wasn't angry at the coach, he was overweight.
    As for Winfield, hey maybe it shows that Childress is improving, and the ego is diminishing.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  8. #28
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Childress has eyes on entire picture

    "ejmat" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    Childress deals with player problems by:
    A. benching them.
    B. cutting them.

    I don't agree with it. Players and coaches disgree all the time, Childress ego > Childress' coaching skills thus far.
    I see your point.
    Glad he handled Phat Pat and Winfield with such a firm hand.
    Should see something about thier immediate release shortly.
    ;D
    Marrdro's on a tear today.

    ;D

    As a head coach you have to instill discipline.
    Without discipline (ala Tice) things happen that badly affects the ball club.
    As the HC Childress has every right to make the decisions he does.
    Some we agree with and some we don't.
    I'm sure if Robinson went to Childress tactfully things may have been different.
    I wasn't there so I do know th whole story.
    All I know is Robinson (as much as I liked him) did something to piss off Childress.
    Same with Culpepper.
    Childress did what he had to do with Culpepper and it was the right decision.
    Even if Robinson was the wrong decision he did what he thought was best for the club. Sometimes you are right and sometimes not.
    that's what comes with being HC.
    I guess my point is we can't take what we want out of the situation and then label the person accordingly.

    If memory serves, Phat Pat didn't toe the line with respect to his weight last year resulting in him getting in the dog house with the Chiller.
    Did he run around crying?
    Look at where he is now.....

    Nose tackle Pat Williams began training camp last year on PUP after he reported weighing more than 337 pounds - the weight the team wanted him at. That won’t be a problem this year. Williams is 320 pounds
    http://vikings.scout.com/2/660711.html

    Winfield and the Chiller also had thier differences this year.
    Did they work it out.....?
    Yup.
    What is the difference between these to and Rob?
    I think the attitude of the player and his ability to conform to a system and structured leadership.

    That my friends comes from someone making rules that are fair, just and that all have to live by.
    You don't get that from a Laaaa Deee Daaaa HC.
    You get that from a disciplinarian.
    Some will like it, some won't, most will conform.
    The ones that don't, no matter how important they think they are, will go.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #29
    davike's Avatar
    davike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,750

    Re: Childress has eyes on entire picture

    "V" wrote:
    Childress deals with player problems by:
    A. benching them.
    B. cutting them.

    I don't agree with it. Players and coaches disgree all the time, Childress ego > Childress' coaching skills thus far.
    Thats isn't really fair at all, first of all we as fans don't have a clue what goes on in the locker room. All we know is a few things that went public. And I assume your talking about Robinson, if he was disrupting and splitting the team then it was best for the team that he got cut. Give me some examples. Childress was coming across as a hardass last year though, I will say that for sure. This year he has apparently settled down a bit though.

    Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

  10. #30
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Childress has eyes on entire picture

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    He refused to give up the play calling even though we weren't doing jack crap on offense, he cut Marcus Robinson right around Christmas time for no apparent reason.. Robinson pretty much led our WR crew up to that point, and he lets him go.. If he had to cut someone, it should have been McMullen, or Williamson.. Neither of those two were worth a crap.. He made lots of rookie mistakes, now I hope he learned from them..
    Meh, McMullin scooped up a fumble for a TD one time.
    He looked pretty impressive on that yard it took him to run it in.
    Vikesfan - you do know there was a reason for cutting Robinson, right?
    I liked Robinson but evidently Chilly grew angry with Robinson because he voiced some strong opinions on how Chilly was running the offense and not using him enough.
    I agree with what you are saying but he didn't just cut Robinson out of the blue.
    It was becasue there was problems between the two of them.


    Unfortunately for Childress his only reason for releasing Robinson is because Robinson questioned his coaching abilities.. Robinson led our team at the WR position, and Childress was to big headed to have someone talk down on him.. He tried making way to big of an impact in his first year as a HC.. The drama of the Culpepper situation was enough, but he had to continue with Marcus Robinson.. He basically dumped our 2 best WR's in a matter of months.. Koren Robinson because he deserved it, and Marcus Robinson because he voiced his opinion.. If anything, I would say Robinson was right, Childress was lousy at calling plays, and changing the game plan.. If anything, Robinson should have been listened to a little more.. I hear ya though, friction between players, and coaches is recipe for disaster..
    All right, I've seen enough of this........

    Clearly, the coach has been cold toward Robinson's reaction to injuries. The receiver hurt his hamstring in a game against Carolina on Sept. 17 and was out the following week. He banged up his lower back in a game at Seattle on Oct. 22 and missed the next three games.
    Then came the surprising deactivation on Dec. 17 against the New York Jets, which Childress pinned on a hip flexor problem that had not been cited on that week's injury report. Robinson claimed he was fine, and a week later he criticized Childress in an interview published by the St. Paul Pioneer Press on Saturday.

    Though Robinson defended the offensive scheme and the play calling under Childress, he complained to the newspaper about mixed messages and a general lack of communication coming from the coach.
    On Wednesday, Childress insisted that was not the case.

    "I've spoken to him as much as anyone on this football team, one-on-one, and probably twice as much," Childress said. "That's exactly the way that it's been."
    It was a combination of injuries and disrespect to the coach that led to his dismissal.

    I don't know if any of you have ever played organized sports, but one rule always applies......

    The coaches make up the rules.
    The players abide by those rules. (I guess that really two rules
    ;D)
    If a player can't play through pain of minor injuries or tries to detract from the coaches authority he won't last long.

    Couple both of them together and you get dissssed just before Christmas.
    I'd have to disagree with you on the communications issue. More than one player talked about Brad's lack of communication with the team including Winfield....

    Brad Childress has improved lines of communication, which has made cornerback Antoine Winfield happier.
    http://www.startribune.com/510/story/1250603.html

    I believe childress himself said he needs to & has improved on communicating with his players. It was either in an article I posted or in one of the interviews I listened to or saw.

    The important thing is, he is more open with his players now.

    As far as the release of Robinson, I personally thought Childress was a dick for releasing him on Xmas Eve. That's how I feel about it.

    The criticism of Childress didn't result in M-Robs dismissal, at least that's what Childress said. Whether people decide to believe that or not is up to them. Personally, I believe his criticism did play some small role in Childress' decision. I believe it irked him, thus perhaps the X-mas eve dismisal.

    It was lack of production & looking to the future that prompted him to cut M-Rob. The injuries played a big part in his lack of production.

    Brad Childress claimed that Marcus Robinson wasn't cut because of recent criticism of the Vikings coach, instead calling the release of the team's leader in touchdown catches a matter of production and future planning.
    So why get rid of him, especially at this point?

    "It's just what you see," Childress said. "It's what you put on the field. ... Put it on tape every day, and I just don't see it."
    http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/MIN/9893381

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The best play of the entire NFL season is....
    By sglade in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-29-2010, 09:08 AM
  2. Childress plans to retain his entire staff
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 03:05 PM
  3. Bears' QB competition could last entire preseason
    By Garland Greene in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 06:02 AM
  4. Scientists inscribe entire Bible on head of a pin
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-24-2007, 11:04 PM
  5. Will Johnson start the entire season?
    By baumy300 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 07-14-2006, 12:27 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •