Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Childress has eyes on entire picture

That was a nice read, but I am still skeptical about Childress, and his leadership.. He did a lousy job in his first season as our HC, but that is understandable.. What the problem is for me is, is he didn't attempt to change the things that were hurting our team..

He refused to give up the play calling even though we weren't doing jack crap on offense, he cut Marcus Robinson right around Christmas time for no apparent reason.. Robinson pretty much led our WR crew up to that point, and he lets him go.. If he had to cut someone, it should have been McMullen, or Williamson.. Neither of those two were worth a crap.. He made lots of rookie mistakes, now I hope he learned from them..

There really is no reason why we shouldn't be a decent team this year.. By that I mean .500 or above in the win column.. Our OL has 1 year under their belts together, our defense will basically be the same with the exception of a few plays, our coaches are all returning with the exception of a new WR coach who is much better then what we had last year.. T-Jack has been putting it all together all off season in Minnesota, plus we drafted the stud known as All Day Adrian Peterson.. If we don't hit at least 8-8, I will extremely pissed off.. It didn't take Sean Payton 3-5 years to build the Saints into contenders, it didn't take Rothlisberger several years to take his team to the promise land.. With that said, it shouldn't be expected for the Vikings to suck for a few years..

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"NDVikingFan66" wrote:
    I think Childress worked with the talent he was given.
    Run the ball, run the clock out, hope for some points, hope to wear down the D, hope our D can put up stops, and wait for the end of the game.

How was Childress suppose to open the game up more?
    We will all agree that even in his younger days, Johnson had no arm.
    No one will argue that our receivers were ever a threat to the defense.

What better strategy than to try and win a low scoring game with the talent we had last year.

The fact is Chilly did call for deep plays early in the season last year.
    When he found out the WRs can't catch is when that changed.
    Also, penalties didn't exactly help the situation.
    The one thing I didn't like were the short passes on 3rd and long.

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

"NDVikingFan66" wrote:
    I believe Childress has a plan and a vision for the future.
    My guess is he has something along the lines of a 3 -5 year plan, and Wilf is cool with that.

I hope for progress every year, and I like to see positive things in the off-season.
    Those things will be a solid franchise, and that is what I want.

Tice may have done some things right, and he was possibly hampered by Red, but I just feel better.
    Even losing last year, I just felt some things were good.
    I would have liked to have seen us get better as the year went on (as far as wins), but Childress stuck to his game plans, and his guns.

Please bring on the season
    If Childress has a 3-5 year plan then fire him now.
    The 3-5 year plan was when teams completely sucked and had to rebuild through the draft.
    It was John Mckay's plan when Tampa Bay entered the league as an expansion team in 1976.
    In todays game you might lose your best players to free agency after 3 years.
    Most coaches get a free pass their first year coaching and that is understandable.
    If we show some improvement this year to at least 8-8 I don't think any of us can be too upset.
    If we don't make the playoffs this year, then Childress has to get us there next year.
    If not, he will be history.

kirbyfan is offline Waterboy

"vikingivan" wrote:
    "NDVikingFan66" wrote:
    My guess is he has something along the lines of a 3 -5 year plan, and Wilf is cool with that.

I hope for progress every year, and I like to see positive things in the off-season.

Tice may have done some things right, and he was possibly hampered by Red, but I just feel better.
    I would have liked to have seen us get better as the year went on (as far as wins), but Childress stuck to his game plans, and his guns.

The 3-5 year plan was when teams completely sucked and had to rebuild through the draft.
    It was John Mckay's plan when Tampa Bay entered the league as an expansion team in 1976.
    Most coaches get a free pass their first year coaching and that is understandable.
    If we show some improvement this year to at least 8-8 I don't think any of us can be too upset.
    If we don't make the playoffs this year, then Childress has to get us there next year.
    Wouldnt us making the playoffs qualify as a THREE YEAR PLAN???
    I think the point of a 3-5 year plan is to make it to the playoffs in 3 but you might need another 1-2 years for everything to hit on all cylinders.
    Great Site:
    www.VikingsToday.com
    Check it out!!!

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

"kirbyfan" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    "NDVikingFan66" wrote:

I think the point of a 3-5 year plan is to make it to the playoffs in 3 but you might need another 1-2 years for everything to hit on all cylinders.
    There is nothing wrong with a 3 year plan.
    But there is no 5 year plan.
    He needs to make the playoffs in year 3 at the latest.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"vikingivan" wrote:
    "kirbyfan" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    "NDVikingFan66" wrote:

There is nothing wrong with a 3 year plan.
    But there is no 5 year plan.
    He needs to make the playoffs in year 3 at the latest.
    I believe in Childress and what he is trying to accomplish.
    I expect this year to be much better than last year.
    However, if it's as bad or worse than last year, I don't see a lot of support for a third year.

Getting Childress was a lot like this years free agency period.
    We went after unknown potential rather than the proven track record of a big name!
    It's always a gamble.

I believe Childress will surprise a lot of people this year.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    He refused to give up the play calling even though we weren't doing jack crap on offense, he cut Marcus Robinson right around Christmas time for no apparent reason.. Robinson pretty much led our WR crew up to that point, and he lets him go.. If he had to cut someone, it should have been McMullen, or Williamson.. Neither of those two were worth a crap.. He made lots of rookie mistakes, now I hope he learned from them..
    Meh, McMullin scooped up a fumble for a TD one time.
    He looked pretty impressive on that yard it took him to run it in.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Why is it news that the HC is eyeing the entire picture?
    ???

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"Billy" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    Vikesfan - you do know there was a reason for cutting Robinson, right?
    I liked Robinson but evidently Chilly grew angry with Robinson because he voiced some strong opinions on how Chilly was running the offense and not using him enough.
    I agree with what you are saying but he didn't just cut Robinson out of the blue.
    It was becasue there was problems between the two of them.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"ejmat" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    Vikesfan - you do know there was a reason for cutting Robinson, right?
    I liked Robinson but evidently Chilly grew angry with Robinson because he voiced some strong opinions on how Chilly was running the offense and not using him enough.
    I agree with what you are saying but he didn't just cut Robinson out of the blue.
    It was becasue there was problems between the two of them.

Unfortunately for Childress his only reason for releasing Robinson is because Robinson questioned his coaching abilities.. Robinson led our team at the WR position, and Childress was to big headed to have someone talk down on him.. He tried making way to big of an impact in his first year as a HC.. The drama of the Culpepper situation was enough, but he had to continue with Marcus Robinson.. He basically dumped our 2 best WR's in a matter of months.. Koren Robinson because he deserved it, and Marcus Robinson because he voiced his opinion.. If anything, I would say Robinson was right, Childress was lousy at calling plays, and changing the game plan.. If anything, Robinson should have been listened to a little more.. I hear ya though, friction between players, and coaches is recipe for disaster..

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast