Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Is Childress guilty of rookie mistakes?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Is Childress guilty of rookie mistakes?

I think the answer lies somewhere in the middle. He has made some rookie mistakes, mistakes that I hope he will correct before the end of the season/next year. He doesn't deserve to be strung and fired though. No coach is perfect, especially not in their first year.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quite honestly, I think that many of Childress' struggles stem directly from the "Triumverate of Terror" philosophy of running the franchise that Zygi has enacted.
    I have NEVER in my entire life been involved in, nor have I seen, an example where "Rule by Committee" has EVER worked.

What Childress and the Vikings need is a real GM.
    One with the power and authority to bring in people capable of helping us win....and NOT a patsy like Fran Foley.

As we went in to this season, everyone saw how shakey our Offensive situation looked.
    Brad Johnson was our starter, we had no back up, and we lost 2 of our better receivers right out of the gate.
    No moves were made to correct those situations.
    Why?

As fans, many of us deluded ourselves with the notion that we might overcome these disadvantages due to a better than anticipated start.
    Those of us who were critical of our Offense early were shouted down by others pointing to our early wins.
    Now, the harsh truth hits home...like a hammer in the back of your skull.

I have long believed - ever since he bought the team - that Zygi Wilf should refrain from attempting to make "football" decisions.
    He believes otherwise.
    I have stated since the begining that a real GM should be brought in, but Zygi won't do that as it would lessen his perceived control of the team.

The odd thing is that Zygi's refusal to relinquish control of the operational aspects of the team is a mirror of Brad Childress' running of the Offense.
    Both have decided to take - and keep - personal control of aspects of the team that should be being run directly by others while they take a overall management stance.
    Neither will do so.

So, if Childress is guilty of making rookie mistakes, so is Wilf.
    And the trouble is, until both men get over themselves, very little is likely going to be done to improve the franchise as a whole as both men attempt to build - and protect - their own little fiefdoms.

It's all an ego trip....and we might not like the ride.

Caine

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

The big mistake I see B.C. making as of this point is getting away from the gimmicks that were supposed to make this offense special.

I have seen very little in the way of shifts, motion, and unorthodox formations that we were promised and got to glimpse during training camp.

Maybe if Memo were split out in the slot on 3rd down, his 7 yd dump pattern would actually make it to the 1st down marker. Maybe if T-Will were constantly dashing up and down the line of scrimmage pre-snap, defensive backfields would worry a little more about his speed. Maybe if Wiggy were put in motion from one end of the line to the other, he could find a favorable matchup. Maybe if B.J. started to throw to the space created by the barrage of blitz plays he is seeing, whoever was recieving that pass would have some room to run, and make a play.

In the early wins this season, we saw what could happen when teams aren't ready for us. Since then, we've seen what can happen when they are VERY ready for us.

I'm no B.C., but me thinks its time to shake things up.
    -Sno

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I love that answer to the last question, "what flavor is the Minnesota offense". Rocky Road.
    ;D

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

of course he has, no rookie - whether player or coach - can go through a season without making mistakes. They all have to learn as they go, it's just a question of how much they get jumped on for their mistakes.
    All we have to see now is how much is learnt and what actions are taken to correct the errors.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Childress right now is a f'n idiot.. I would have rathered seen Winfield take that INT to the house, because we all know that this offense isn't jackshit.. Childress calls a passing play on 1st and goal from the 3 yard line? What in the hell is he thinking?

Then on 4th and goal from the 1 yard line he opts to kick a f'n FG.. Like 3 points is going to hold the lead for us when Harrington has had a field day against our defense today.. I don't care what anyone on here says about this, Childress is a horrible play caller, and he should not eb doing it.. The only thing this team is looking at, is a good draft pick..

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

he does some real dumb things and makes some goofy jiggly butt calls, but i wouldnt call them rookie mistakes..the guy seems full of himself and believes his system will work when it clearly wont

expecting the defense to do everything for this squad is his biggest mistake..hes so conservative because he expects that defense to never allow points, and it hasnt happened yet, but eventually those guys will start to wear down in a couple games late in the season
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

DPep11 is offline Asst. Coach

I didnt know where to put this, but stick a fork in us... we're done.

Purplemania is offline Asst. Coach

His playcalling has been sorry as hell.

And his love for Brad Johnson sickens me.
    Because I'm a Vikings fan, they are that much sexier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast