Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Childress goes the way of the Wild and sticks with rotating captains

[size=13pt]Childress goes the way of the Wild and sticks with rotating captains[/size]

Brad Childress prefers to rotate captains rather than stick with the same players all season.

By Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

Last update: September 14, 2007 – 11:02 PM

One of the ideas that came out of meetings between NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and his Player Advisory Council was for teams to have season-long captains on offense, defense and special teams.....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Childress goes the way of the Wild and sticks with rotating captains

I don't think being named team captain means anything.
    You will always have those players on the team that pump up the rest of the players and are the team leaders.
    Having a "C" on your chest doesn't always mean something, BUT
    I do like the idea that Chilly wants to recognize the best players from the week before.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    You will always have those players on the team that pump up the rest of the players and are the team leaders.
    I do like the idea that Chilly wants to recognize the best players from the week before.
    The NFL has always had captains, but just never put a "badge" on them before. The "C" is just a way to make the faces, and leaders of your franchise more apparent. Because of that, I think moving the C around from week to week directly contradicts that. Yes, the C is nothing more than a marketing strategy. Moving the C around defeats that strategy.

With respect to actual team play, if the same players always pump up the rest of the team and are regarded as leaders, why not just
    give them the C mark for the year? Having/not having a C on your chest should not change your role as a teammate, but it certainly can't hurt to be recognized for your leadership skills.

I will say that while I'm for putting the C on year long captains, you have to stick to that plan. You can't just switch captains midseason because that is kind of discouraging to the player who loses the C. I also don't agree with treating the C like a gameball, like Childress (I'm sure he i not the only NFL coach taking this approach) is doing, it should be more important than that. Having players vote on it is also pointless IMO. However, because Childress has established this tradition, he should follow it all season long.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Leadreship has already been established in the locker room, so having rotating captains brings honor and excitment, rewarding great effort. All these things bonds a team and can only make it stronger. Way to buck the system Chilly.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Building team camaraderie, nothing wrong with that.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Even though it's a TEAM sport, I believe athelets still love getting individual attention and being recognized when they excel.

This is a great way to get players fired up.
    To work their hardest together and hopefully to be the one titled Captain for the following week..

Chili, Nice call...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Very nice read.
    I kindof like the idea myself and, it appears, so does the team.

Just another example of this staffs ability to create better team chemistry and a better atmosphere.

By the way, more stuff on how much the guys are liking it in the Land of 10,000 Lakes.
    Were are all the haters?
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"V" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    The NFL has always had captains, but just never put a "badge" on them before. The "C" is just a way to make the faces, and leaders of your franchise more apparent. Because of that, I think moving the C around from week to week directly contradicts that. Yes, the C is nothing more than a marketing strategy. Moving the C around defeats that strategy.

With respect to actual team play, if the same players always pump up the rest of the team and are regarded as leaders, why not just
    give them the C mark for the year? Having/not having a C on your chest should not change your role as a teammate, but it certainly can't hurt to be recognized for your leadership skills.

I will say that while I'm for putting the C on year long captains, you have to stick to that plan. You can't just switch captains midseason because that is kind of discouraging to the player who loses the C. I also don't agree with treating the C like a gameball, like Childress (I'm sure he i not the only NFL coach taking this approach) is doing, it should be more important than that. Having players vote on it is also pointless IMO. However, because Childress has established this tradition, he should follow it all season long.
    That doesn't make sense.... who considers the leaders as leaders if not for the players? Therefore, the players should vote on it.... you slightly contradicted yourself there.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

i for one hate the rotating captain idea. you have the leaders on the team, they should be the one wearing the C, not the best players from last week
    We're bringing purple back.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I kind of like this idea.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast