Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Childress giving Bevell more responsibility

[size=13pt]Bevell was primary playcaller Friday[/size]

Coach Brad Childress called plays last season but had been vague about his intentions for 2007.

By Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

Last update: August 13, 2007 – 10:11 PM

MANKATO — Pssst: Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell called "most" of the Vikings' offensive plays in Friday night's preseason opener against St. Louis, coach Brad Childress said Monday...

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Bevell was primary playcaller Friday

Pretty balanced attack.

For the record, the Vikings ran 26 pass plays (three resulted in sacks) and 23 running plays with Bevell in command.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Pretty balanced attack.

For the record, the Vikings ran 26 pass plays (three resulted in sacks) and 23 running plays with Bevell in command.
    Wow, that looks like the breakdown from last year.
    Amazing that the people pulling stuff out of their ass are wrong again.

Fire Bevell, the bastard couldn't get points on the board!
    It's the play calling I'm telling you!!!!
    Oh, wait, it was a preseason game.
    Forget it.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Pretty balanced attack.

Wow, that looks like the breakdown from last year.
    Amazing that the people pulling stuff out of their jiggly butt are wrong again.

Fire Bevell, the bastard couldn't get points on the board!
    It's the play calling I'm telling you!!!!
    Oh, wait, it was a preseason game.
    Forget it.
    Your a hoot.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

The results of Bevell calling plays won't be that drastic, but hopefully he will be willing to mix it up more than Childress was last year. I'm not talking about pass vs. run, I'm talking about the actual play being called and 3rd down playcalls.

I'm really glad Chili might not be calling plays when the season rolls in. Bev was just his pawn last year, but now I'm hoping he's ready to step up, a la TJ.

About the 50-50 run pass ratio, I'm hoping we were just trying to get more looks at our pass offense, since it is a much bigger questionmark this year. Also, you can't run much if you can't run effectively. Keep in mind Hutch, Richardson, and Taylor combined for 1 play on Friday.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

I've said it before and I will say it again.
    Bevell was not a pawn last year.

I believe he had to be trained on what the Chiller expected to happen with respect to play calling in the version of the WCO that we so affectionately call the KAO (coined by Zeus).

Another positive of my theory is that everyone still likes Bevell and blame the Chiller for bad play calling.
    Can you imagine what it would be like around here if Bevell actually called in the plays last year.
    Damn, we would have lynch mobs out and about looking for him.

Long story short, Bevel (like the whole staff) was in training last year and the Chiller took the heat for it.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:

I believe he had to be trained on what the Chiller expected to happen with respect to play calling in the version of the WCO that we so affectionately call the KAO (coined by Zeus).

Another positive of my theory is that everyone still likes Bevell and blame the Chiller for bad play calling.
    Can you imagine what it would be like around here if Bevell actually called in the plays last year.
    gol 'darnit, we would have lynch mobs out and about looking for him.

Long story short, Bevel (like the whole staff) was in training last year and the Chiller took the heat for it.

Remember the horrible playcalling that Billick did when he first became our Offensive Coordinator...I do and I wanted to kill that bastard.
    Funny how things turn out though...he got much better (see 1998 season..minus ATL game)...and he got a Super Bowl ring (albeit riding the Ravens defense a la Chucky in TB).

Point is...we need to give Bevell...and TJack, for that matter...a little time to work out the kinks (unless you LIKE the kinks...or The Kinks) before the machine will start to roll.
    Heck, who knows...in a couple of years, Bevell might be the next Billick and TWill and Rice could be the next Moss and Carter...with AP a much better Robert Smith...and TJack a much better Cunningham.
    IT COULD HAPPEN!!!

;D
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

gol 'darnit, we would have lynch mobs out and about looking for him.

Remember the horrible playcalling that Billick did when he first became our Offensive Coordinator...I do and I wanted to kill that bastard.
    Funny how things turn out though...he got much better (see 1998 season..minus ATL game)...and he got a Super Bowl ring (albeit riding the Ravens defense a la Chucky in TB).

Point is...we need to give Bevell...and TJack, for that matter...a little time to work out the kinks (unless you LIKE the kinks...or The Kinks) before the machine will start to roll.
    Heck, who knows...in a couple of years, Bevell might be the next Billick and TWill and Rice could be the next Moss and Carter...with AP a much better Robert Smith...and TJack a much better Cunningham.
    IT COULD HAPPEN!!!

;D
    All because the Chiller allowed him to grow and took the heat the first year.
    ;D

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

The problem I had with the play calling last year, was all the dump passes. The fans knew when they were going to dump it, as did the opposing D. Once in a while you can try it, but not every 3rd and long. Of course, if the team had and discipline, they wouldntt have gotten themselves into so many 3rd and longs. A few more deep passes, or passes to TE would have been nice too. Hopefully TJ can find more open WRs this year then BJ could last year.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:

Damn, we would have lynch mobs out and about looking for him.

An offensive coordinator is brought in to run his offense. Look at what is happening in Pittsburgh. Tomlin is a cover 2 guy, but they are still running a 3-4 defense because that is what their defensive coordinator runs.

Bevell was not brought in to run his offense, he was brought in as a figurehead while Childress ran the WCO. That is what I call a pawn. If Bevell was just learning Childress; system, he was still a pawn because he was not operating on his own accord. I think any Offensive Coordinator who doesn't call plays is a pawn. How can you run your offense if you are not the one calling plays?

You assume Bevell would have called the same plays Chiller did. I think Bevell would have run a completely different type of offense. Bevell has helped implement a new system because that is what Chiller wants, I give him credit for that. Chiller took heat because he called plays that didn't work. You can't assume that Bevell would have made the same mistakes, unless of course he calls the same plays which Childress would have, which would effectively make him a pawn.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast