Childress gets ball

Something really cool happened after the foreskins game.

"Quarterback Brad Johnson, who went 16-for-30 for 223 yards, one touchdown and no turnovers, handed his coach the game ball afterward. The normally stony Childress, who became a bit emotional, acknowledged that he was moved by the gesture. "

This was from a yahoo article called "Vikings show progress in first game under Childress". I have not heard this reported anywhere else, so I am relying on this article for the info.

I don't think I have ever heard of a player giving a coach the game ball, even though I am sure that someone knows of another instance. Anyhow, I think Childress has the respect and buy-in from this team. It is going to be an interesting year!

umaguma1979 is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Childress gets ball

Nice move on Brad's part.....maybe now Childress will give him a new contract.
    Not.

You are right UMA, good point. When does the "culture of accountabilty" kick in when it benefits the player, not just the team. Bollinger's deal was reworked when he arrived, Johnson deserves to be treated fairly and compensated as a starter.

umaguma1979 is offline Asst. Coach

Bollinger probably signed for minimum & a BMW (if he was lucky).
    Extending his contract to two years just means the Vikings will have the option of cutting him, trading him, or having him on the team at minimum for another year.

I think if BJ puts up a couple more solid starts, he will see some sort of "bonus" as the Vikings will be poised for a run and perhaps a good 07.
    I think the thought at WP is that if the Vikes got off to slow start and buy-in was low, the Vikes would look to rebuild the remainder of 06 and hand the reigns over to Williams.

However, the way BJ is playing - its his team for this year.
    A vetern QB is always on a short lease; one year at a time.
    A good start earns another at Jerry burns once said in regards to Tommy Kramer in 1988.

You meant Jackson, not williams, right?

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

wow, didnt actually know that brad handed him the ball.. thanks for the post VinV, the report after the game was that the game ball was awarded to childress via zygi wilf...

classy move by brad, and the right thing to do, the win was made on childress' play calling, thats a very nice thing to give your new head coach the ball to his first victory....

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"vikinginvirginia" wrote:
    Something really cool happened after the foreskins game.

"Quarterback Brad Johnson, who went 16-for-30 for 223 yards, one touchdown and no turnovers, handed his coach the game ball afterward. The normally stony Childress, who became a bit emotional, acknowledged that he was moved by the gesture. "

This was from a yahoo article called "Vikings show progress in first game under Childress". I have not heard this reported anywhere else, so I am relying on this article for the info.

I don't think I have ever heard of a player giving a coach the game ball, even though I am sure that someone knows of another instance. Anyhow, I think Childress has the respect and buy-in from this team. It is going to be an interesting year!

That really shows respect for Childress and I think it means that a lot of players are buying into his philosophies, and what he wants from the players.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.