Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    ragz is offline GM

Re: The Childress Era: Play Calling (2006-2008)

"StillPurple" wrote:
    The Vikings obviously have an "inside-out" philosophy to the game: i.e. build from the line out, not build WR and the so-called "skill positions" first. This results in us running the ball and stopping the run. We try to "establish the run". Most teams in the NFL now come out throwing all over and they have an "outside-in" mentality of getting good wide-outs and a good QB and then worrying about the line after that. Also, most teams throw and then when they build up a lead, they then "establish the run" in the second half of the game. We do the opposite, I think.
    well obviously, but do you think a coach should keep doing that same exact philosphy week in and week out no matter what the strengths of the opposing defense is or how predictable it is for the opposing defense?
    and even if you agree with that, how many games of it not really working before you mix it up and try something a little different?
    not even scrapping everything you wanna do, but make it a bit more balanced and creative.
    so what did it take childress, 35 games?
    we started childress's career 4-2 right?
    we are 11-19 since.
    it took the nfl 6 games to figure out what childress is doing and he has basically been running the same offense since game six and pointing the finger at everything besides his offense.
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"ragz" wrote:
    and secondly, the idea of a short passing game when you have most of the defense at the line of scrimmage playing the run just doesnt make sense.
    i mean you can come back to the short passing game once you loosen them up and make them fear you will beat them.
    but the truth is we haven't done that enough.
    whether its execution or not, i have not seen enough attempts the get the ball downfield as a whole through 3 years.
    until maybe this past week.
    not to mention a handful of games where we go into the 2nd half and have hardly thrown any passes let alone balls downfield.
    I think this is the real issue with our offensive philosophy.
    We are a run first team and our passing game has been predicated mostly on short passing.
    These two don't work well together IMO.
    If the defense is setup to stop our running game by putting most of the personnel on the line of scrimmage then they are also in a good position to defend a short passing game.
    Where they are vulnerable is in the deeper part of the field.
    Until we start showing some success with deeper routes, this will continue to be an issue.

umaguma1979 is offline Asst. Coach

Even the true West Coast offenses new they had to open up the defense a little bit.
    Steve Young often opened up a 49ers game will a deep go pattern just to open up the opposing defense.

Chazz is offline Coordinator

"StillPurple" wrote:
    The Vikings obviously have an "inside-out" philosophy to the game: i.e. build from the line out, not build WR and the so-called "skill positions" first. This results in us running the ball and stopping the run. We try to "establish the run". Most teams in the NFL now come out throwing all over and they have an "outside-in" mentality of getting good wide-outs and a good QB and then worrying about the line after that. Also, most teams throw and then when they build up a lead, they then "establish the run" in the second half of the game. We do the opposite, I think.

I don't believe that is true. Childress has taken only one OL on the first day, that was Cook in the second round. He has taken no DL on the first day. Our first pick in 06 was Greenway, our first pick in 07 was AD, our first pick in 08 was Tyrell Johnson. So we have drafted a "playmaker" in AD, an OLB in Greenway and a S in Tyrell. All of which I personally would consider "skill" postions.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Chazz" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:

I don't believe that is true. Childress has taken only one OL on the first day, that was Cook in the second round. He has taken no DL on the first day. Our first pick in 06 was Greenway, our first pick in 07 was AD, our first pick in 08 was Tyrell Johnson. So we have drafted a "playmaker" in AD, an OLB in Greenway and a S in Tyrell. All of which I personally would consider "skill" postions.
    Exactly.

When he came aboard he said everything would begin with the line play. Through 2.25 seasons he has yet to establish balance in his line play on either side of the ball.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

lets just hope this thread title doesnt change to 2006-2009!!

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"2beersTommy" wrote:

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "2beersTommy" wrote:
    thats what I'm saying.

Chazz is offline Coordinator

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:

Exactly.

When he came aboard he said everything would begin with the line play. Through 2.25 seasons he has yet to establish balance in his line play on either side of the ball.
    Pretty sad isn't it.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:

Exactly.

I feel our lines are pretty good and consistant

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast