Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 91 to 100 of 100
  1. #91
    ragz's Avatar
    ragz is offline GM
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,114

    Re: The Childress Era: Play Calling (2006-2008)

    "Caine" wrote:
    "Bretto007" wrote:
    OK it is halfway through the 3rd quarter against the lions and we have 0 offensive points.
    THE LIONS.
    In conclusion the offensive play calling is terrible.
    One TD.....just one.
    Don't make the mistake of thinking that the Berrian TD excuses Childress and his shitrotten scheme.
    My dislike of Childress grows by leaps and bounds every week I am forced to watch a very skilled Offense fail to score possession after possession.

    As far as I'm concerned, we could fire Childress right now and not see a drop in production because THERE HASN'T BEEN ANY FLOOPIN PRODUCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Childress is a flippin' Challenged Hillybilly Lover, and has now pulled to just below Red "molests marsupials" McCombs on my list of Viking related people I hate the most (and anyone around during the McCombs years should remember how much I hated him).

    Childress needs to go, and he needs to take Bevell with him.

    Caine
    thank you.
    now when is V gonna stop blaming everything besides him?
    you know what i find annoying, constant excuses for a coaching staff that is not making us better.
    i dont care what he wants to say about personnel or the play of that personnel, there is something definitely wrong with coaching and playcalling when you cant move the ball and score points against the lions.
    again, you dont have to have the offense of the 80s 49ers to be able to score against the lions.
    but lets just keep ignoring that and we'll just keep on signing more and more players and look like the same exact offense.
    actually, we might be getting worse if at home against the lions you can only muster up 10 offensive points.
    the lions offense with orvlovsky scored the same amount of offensive points as us, but i guess there players are just as talented.
    why would it have anything to do with the way the gameplan and playcalling is?
    what a ridiculous and annoying premise.
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

  2. #92
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: The Childress Era: Play Calling (2006-2008)

    "ragz" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "Bretto007" wrote:
    OK it is halfway through the 3rd quarter against the lions and we have 0 offensive points.
    THE LIONS.
    In conclusion the offensive play calling is terrible.
    One TD.....just one.
    Don't make the mistake of thinking that the Berrian TD excuses Childress and his shitrotten scheme.
    My dislike of Childress grows by leaps and bounds every week I am forced to watch a very skilled Offense fail to score possession after possession.

    As far as I'm concerned, we could fire Childress right now and not see a drop in production because THERE HASN'T BEEN ANY FLOOPIN PRODUCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Childress is a flippin' Challenged Hillybilly Lover, and has now pulled to just below Red "molests marsupials" McCombs on my list of Viking related people I hate the most (and anyone around during the McCombs years should remember how much I hated him).

    Childress needs to go, and he needs to take Bevell with him.

    Caine
    thank you.
    now when is V gonna stop blaming everything besides him?
    you know what i find annoying, constant excuses for a coaching staff that is not making us better.
    i dont care what he wants to say about personnel or the play of that personnel, there is something definitely wrong with coaching and playcalling when you cant move the ball and score points against the lions.
    again, you dont have to have the offense of the 80s 49ers to be able to score against the lions.
    but lets just keep ignoring that and we'll just keep on signing more and more players and look like the same exact offense.
    actually, we might be getting worse if at home against the lions you can only muster up 10 offensive points.
    the lions offense with orvlovsky scored the same amount of offensive points as us, but i guess there players are just as talented.
    why would it have anything to do with the way the gameplan and playcalling is?
    what a ridiculous and annoying premise.
    Personally, I like to cloud the argument with facts.
    AD fumbled and gave the Lions the ball one yard from getting a TD.
    Cook had a 10 yd penalty when CT had the ball at the 1 or 2 yd line.
    That is 14 pts that should have been.
    People get into a spiral and somehow block events out of their mind so they can support their premise.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  3. #93
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,262

    Re: The Childress Era: Play Calling (2006-2008)

    "Prophet" wrote:
    "ragz" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "Bretto007" wrote:
    OK it is halfway through the 3rd quarter against the lions and we have 0 offensive points.
    THE LIONS.
    In conclusion the offensive play calling is terrible.
    One TD.....just one.
    Don't make the mistake of thinking that the Berrian TD excuses Childress and his shitrotten scheme.
    My dislike of Childress grows by leaps and bounds every week I am forced to watch a very skilled Offense fail to score possession after possession.

    As far as I'm concerned, we could fire Childress right now and not see a drop in production because THERE HASN'T BEEN ANY FLOOPIN PRODUCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Childress is a flippin' Challenged Hillybilly Lover, and has now pulled to just below Red "molests marsupials" McCombs on my list of Viking related people I hate the most (and anyone around during the McCombs years should remember how much I hated him).

    Childress needs to go, and he needs to take Bevell with him.

    Caine
    thank you.
    now when is V gonna stop blaming everything besides him?
    you know what i find annoying, constant excuses for a coaching staff that is not making us better.
    i dont care what he wants to say about personnel or the play of that personnel, there is something definitely wrong with coaching and playcalling when you cant move the ball and score points against the lions.
    again, you dont have to have the offense of the 80s 49ers to be able to score against the lions.
    but lets just keep ignoring that and we'll just keep on signing more and more players and look like the same exact offense.
    actually, we might be getting worse if at home against the lions you can only muster up 10 offensive points.
    the lions offense with orvlovsky scored the same amount of offensive points as us, but i guess there players are just as talented.
    why would it have anything to do with the way the gameplan and playcalling is?
    what a ridiculous and annoying premise.
    Personally, I like to cloud the argument with facts.
    AD fumbled and gave the Lions the ball one yard from getting a TD.
    Cook had a 10 yd penalty when CT had the ball at the 1 or 2 yd line.
    That is 14 pts that should have been.
    People get into a spiral and somehow block events out of their mind so they can support their premise.
    Shiancoe, 2 TD's in first 4 games

    R. Moss, 2 TD's in first 4 games

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  4. #94
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: The Childress Era: Play Calling (2006-2008)

    "ragz" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "Bretto007" wrote:
    OK it is halfway through the 3rd quarter against the lions and we have 0 offensive points.
    THE LIONS.
    In conclusion the offensive play calling is terrible.
    One TD.....just one.
    Don't make the mistake of thinking that the Berrian TD excuses Childress and his shitrotten scheme.
    My dislike of Childress grows by leaps and bounds every week I am forced to watch a very skilled Offense fail to score possession after possession.

    As far as I'm concerned, we could fire Childress right now and not see a drop in production because THERE HASN'T BEEN ANY FLOOPIN PRODUCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Childress is a flippin' Challenged Hillybilly Lover, and has now pulled to just below Red "molests marsupials" McCombs on my list of Viking related people I hate the most (and anyone around during the McCombs years should remember how much I hated him).

    Childress needs to go, and he needs to take Bevell with him.

    Caine
    thank you.
    now when is V gonna stop blaming everything besides him?
    you know what i find annoying, constant excuses for a coaching staff that is not making us better.
    i dont care what he wants to say about personnel or the play of that personnel, there is something definitely wrong with coaching and playcalling when you cant move the ball and score points against the lions.
    again, you dont have to have the offense of the 80s 49ers to be able to score against the lions.
    but lets just keep ignoring that and we'll just keep on signing more and more players and look like the same exact offense.
    actually, we might be getting worse if at home against the lions you can only muster up 10 offensive points.
    the lions offense with orvlovsky scored the same amount of offensive points as us, but i guess there players are just as talented.
    why would it have anything to do with the way the gameplan and playcalling is?
    what a ridiculous and annoying premise.
    I have repeatedly thrown Chilly under the bus. I have never called him anything close to a good coach, and I simply think that his personnell selection is as bad if not worse than his scheme. Why can you not understand that?

    Some of the guys brought in under Chilly are abominable, just as is Chilly's lack of ability to use his talent on the field.

    Think about that game for a second. OL play and turnovers hurt us a lot more than playcalling did. It's clear what we need to do to be effective on offense. It's obvious and you continue to ignore that. We are supposed to have a ball control offense and when you turn the ball over you don't have that. When you have a low 3rd conversion rate because the OL sucks you don't have that.

    What are your solutions? We opened up the offense, went 4-wide on 1st and 10, just as you have been asking for the last three weeks. The result was a Berrian TD.
    How clutch was the pass to Sauce on third down (a GREAT playcall)? How do you not give Bevell and Childress credit for those plays?

    The fact is that the offense is exactly what you wanted to see, and it still sucks, and so instead of admitting you were somewhat incorrect, you blame chilldress for opening up the offense like you asked. The bottomline is you're a hater and nothing that happens will change that. You still even have trouble admitting that benching TJ was the right call, or that Chilly should get any credit for good defense.

    Me blaming everyone but chilly is ridiculous. The only 3 people I have repeatedly criticzed during the Chilly era have been Troy Williamson, Tavaris Jackson, and Brad Childress. Chilly is to blame for that performance yesterday, but its not the scheme or playcalling. It's the lack of team readiness, the inability to run a screen pass, the inability to rally his team during halftime, and the lack of halftime adjustments. At the same time, that game is an easy win without the bevvy of miscues we had. I'm sorry that I don't blame Childress when AD fumbles on the 7, or when a blocked FG occurs.

    I've never had to apologize for being fair before.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  5. #95
    jargomcfargo's Avatar
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,776

    Re: The Childress Era: Play Calling (2006-2008)

    "V" wrote:
    "ragz" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "Bretto007" wrote:
    OK it is halfway through the 3rd quarter against the lions and we have 0 offensive points.
    THE LIONS.
    In conclusion the offensive play calling is terrible.
    One TD.....just one.
    Don't make the mistake of thinking that the Berrian TD excuses Childress and his shitrotten scheme.
    My dislike of Childress grows by leaps and bounds every week I am forced to watch a very skilled Offense fail to score possession after possession.

    As far as I'm concerned, we could fire Childress right now and not see a drop in production because THERE HASN'T BEEN ANY FLOOPIN PRODUCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Childress is a flippin' Challenged Hillybilly Lover, and has now pulled to just below Red "molests marsupials" McCombs on my list of Viking related people I hate the most (and anyone around during the McCombs years should remember how much I hated him).

    Childress needs to go, and he needs to take Bevell with him.

    Caine
    thank you.
    now when is V gonna stop blaming everything besides him?
    you know what i find annoying, constant excuses for a coaching staff that is not making us better.
    i dont care what he wants to say about personnel or the play of that personnel, there is something definitely wrong with coaching and playcalling when you cant move the ball and score points against the lions.
    again, you dont have to have the offense of the 80s 49ers to be able to score against the lions.
    but lets just keep ignoring that and we'll just keep on signing more and more players and look like the same exact offense.
    actually, we might be getting worse if at home against the lions you can only muster up 10 offensive points.
    the lions offense with orvlovsky scored the same amount of offensive points as us, but i guess there players are just as talented.
    why would it have anything to do with the way the gameplan and playcalling is?
    what a ridiculous and annoying premise.
    I have repeatedly thrown Chilly under the bus. I have never called him anything close to a good coach, and I simply think that his personnell selection is as bad if not worse than his scheme. Why can you not understand that?

    Some of the guys brought in under Chilly are abominable, just as is Chilly's lack of ability to use his talent on the field.

    Think about that game for a second. OL play and turnovers hurt us a lot more than playcalling did. It's clear what we need to do to be effective on offense. It's obvious and you continue to ignore that. We are supposed to have a ball control offense and when you turn the ball over you don't have that. When you have a low 3rd conversion rate because the OL sucks you don't have that.

    What are your solutions? We opened up the offense, went 4-wide on 1st and 10, just as you have been asking for the last three weeks. The result was a Berrian TD.
    How clutch was the pass to Sauce on third down (a GREAT playcall)? How do you not give Bevell and Childress credit for those plays?

    The fact is that the offense is exactly what you wanted to see, and it still sucks, and so instead of admitting you were somewhat incorrect, you blame chilldress for opening up the offense like you asked. The bottomline is you're a hater and nothing that happens will change that. You still even have trouble admitting that benching TJ was the right call, or that Chilly should get any credit for good defense.

    Me blaming everyone but chilly is ridiculous. The only 3 people I have repeatedly criticzed during the Chilly era have been Troy Williamson, Tavaris Jackson, and Brad Childress. Chilly is to blame for that performance yesterday, but its not the scheme or playcalling. It's the lack of team readiness, the inability to run a screen pass, the inability to rally his team during halftime, and the lack of halftime adjustments. At the same time, that game is an easy win without the bevvy of miscues we had. I'm sorry that I don't blame Childress when AD fumbles on the 7, or when a blocked FG occurs.

    I've never had to apologize for being fair before.
    Good post V. I agree Childress and staff are not the best talent evaluators. On one hand you bring in Hutch and on the other you bring in a rookie center and try to turn him into a right tackle.

    You bring in TJ and think Holcumb or Bollinger or McMahon are talented enough to pick up the slack if he flounders.

    There is talent on this team. But it isn't what is needed to run this scheme.

    Two and a half years of pathetic special teams coverage and two and a half years of mostly anemic offense is unacceptable and falls directly on Childress and Spielman.

    No more apologies for either of them.

    Win or move on.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

  6. #96
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Childress Era: Play Calling (2006-2008)

    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "ragz" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "Bretto007" wrote:
    OK it is halfway through the 3rd quarter against the lions and we have 0 offensive points.
    THE LIONS.
    In conclusion the offensive play calling is terrible.
    One TD.....just one.
    Don't make the mistake of thinking that the Berrian TD excuses Childress and his shitrotten scheme.
    My dislike of Childress grows by leaps and bounds every week I am forced to watch a very skilled Offense fail to score possession after possession.

    As far as I'm concerned, we could fire Childress right now and not see a drop in production because THERE HASN'T BEEN ANY FLOOPIN PRODUCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Childress is a flippin' Challenged Hillybilly Lover, and has now pulled to just below Red "molests marsupials" McCombs on my list of Viking related people I hate the most (and anyone around during the McCombs years should remember how much I hated him).

    Childress needs to go, and he needs to take Bevell with him.

    Caine
    thank you.
    now when is V gonna stop blaming everything besides him?
    you know what i find annoying, constant excuses for a coaching staff that is not making us better.
    i dont care what he wants to say about personnel or the play of that personnel, there is something definitely wrong with coaching and playcalling when you cant move the ball and score points against the lions.
    again, you dont have to have the offense of the 80s 49ers to be able to score against the lions.
    but lets just keep ignoring that and we'll just keep on signing more and more players and look like the same exact offense.
    actually, we might be getting worse if at home against the lions you can only muster up 10 offensive points.
    the lions offense with orvlovsky scored the same amount of offensive points as us, but i guess there players are just as talented.
    why would it have anything to do with the way the gameplan and playcalling is?
    what a ridiculous and annoying premise.
    I have repeatedly thrown Chilly under the bus. I have never called him anything close to a good coach, and I simply think that his personnell selection is as bad if not worse than his scheme. Why can you not understand that?

    Some of the guys brought in under Chilly are abominable, just as is Chilly's lack of ability to use his talent on the field.

    Think about that game for a second. OL play and turnovers hurt us a lot more than playcalling did. It's clear what we need to do to be effective on offense. It's obvious and you continue to ignore that. We are supposed to have a ball control offense and when you turn the ball over you don't have that. When you have a low 3rd conversion rate because the OL sucks you don't have that.

    What are your solutions? We opened up the offense, went 4-wide on 1st and 10, just as you have been asking for the last three weeks. The result was a Berrian TD.
    How clutch was the pass to Sauce on third down (a GREAT playcall)? How do you not give Bevell and Childress credit for those plays?

    The fact is that the offense is exactly what you wanted to see, and it still sucks, and so instead of admitting you were somewhat incorrect, you blame chilldress for opening up the offense like you asked. The bottomline is you're a hater and nothing that happens will change that. You still even have trouble admitting that benching TJ was the right call, or that Chilly should get any credit for good defense.

    Me blaming everyone but chilly is ridiculous. The only 3 people I have repeatedly criticzed during the Chilly era have been Troy Williamson, Tavaris Jackson, and Brad Childress. Chilly is to blame for that performance yesterday, but its not the scheme or playcalling. It's the lack of team readiness, the inability to run a screen pass, the inability to rally his team during halftime, and the lack of halftime adjustments. At the same time, that game is an easy win without the bevvy of miscues we had. I'm sorry that I don't blame Childress when AD fumbles on the 7, or when a blocked FG occurs.

    I've never had to apologize for being fair before.
    Good post V. I agree Childress and staff are not the best talent evaluators. On one hand you bring in Hutch and on the other you bring in a rookie center and try to turn him into a right tackle.

    You bring in TJ and think Holcumb or Bollinger or McMahon are talented enough to pick up the slack if he flounders.

    There is talent on this team. But it isn't what is needed to run this scheme.

    Two and a half years of pathetic special teams coverage and two and a half years of mostly anemic offense is unacceptable and falls directly on Childress and Spielman.

    No more apologies for either of them.

    [s]Win or[/s] move on.
    I like the last line the best

  7. #97
    ragz's Avatar
    ragz is offline GM
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,114

    Re: The Childress Era: Play Calling (2006-2008)

    "V" wrote:
    "ragz" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "Bretto007" wrote:
    OK it is halfway through the 3rd quarter against the lions and we have 0 offensive points.
    THE LIONS.
    In conclusion the offensive play calling is terrible.
    One TD.....just one.
    Don't make the mistake of thinking that the Berrian TD excuses Childress and his shitrotten scheme.
    My dislike of Childress grows by leaps and bounds every week I am forced to watch a very skilled Offense fail to score possession after possession.

    As far as I'm concerned, we could fire Childress right now and not see a drop in production because THERE HASN'T BEEN ANY FLOOPIN PRODUCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Childress is a flippin' Challenged Hillybilly Lover, and has now pulled to just below Red "molests marsupials" McCombs on my list of Viking related people I hate the most (and anyone around during the McCombs years should remember how much I hated him).

    Childress needs to go, and he needs to take Bevell with him.

    Caine
    thank you.
    now when is V gonna stop blaming everything besides him?
    you know what i find annoying, constant excuses for a coaching staff that is not making us better.
    i dont care what he wants to say about personnel or the play of that personnel, there is something definitely wrong with coaching and playcalling when you cant move the ball and score points against the lions.
    again, you dont have to have the offense of the 80s 49ers to be able to score against the lions.
    but lets just keep ignoring that and we'll just keep on signing more and more players and look like the same exact offense.
    actually, we might be getting worse if at home against the lions you can only muster up 10 offensive points.
    the lions offense with orvlovsky scored the same amount of offensive points as us, but i guess there players are just as talented.
    why would it have anything to do with the way the gameplan and playcalling is?
    what a ridiculous and annoying premise.
    I have repeatedly thrown Chilly under the bus. I have never called him anything close to a good coach, and I simply think that his personnell selection is as bad if not worse than his scheme. Why can you not understand that?

    Some of the guys brought in under Chilly are abominable, just as is Chilly's lack of ability to use his talent on the field.

    Think about that game for a second. OL play and turnovers hurt us a lot more than playcalling did. It's clear what we need to do to be effective on offense. It's obvious and you continue to ignore that. We are supposed to have a ball control offense and when you turn the ball over you don't have that. When you have a low 3rd conversion rate because the OL sucks you don't have that.

    What are your solutions? We opened up the offense, went 4-wide on 1st and 10, just as you have been asking for the last three weeks. The result was a Berrian TD.
    How clutch was the pass to Sauce on third down (a GREAT playcall)? How do you not give Bevell and Childress credit for those plays?

    The fact is that the offense is exactly what you wanted to see, and it still sucks, and so instead of admitting you were somewhat incorrect, you blame chilldress for opening up the offense like you asked. The bottomline is you're a hater and nothing that happens will change that. You still even have trouble admitting that benching TJ was the right call, or that Chilly should get any credit for good defense.

    Me blaming everyone but chilly is ridiculous. The only 3 people I have repeatedly criticzed during the Chilly era have been Troy Williamson, Tavaris Jackson, and Brad Childress. Chilly is to blame for that performance yesterday, but its not the scheme or playcalling. It's the lack of team readiness, the inability to run a screen pass, the inability to rally his team during halftime, and the lack of halftime adjustments. At the same time, that game is an easy win without the bevvy of miscues we had. I'm sorry that I don't blame Childress when AD fumbles on the 7, or when a blocked FG occurs.

    I've never had to apologize for being fair before.
    what about another 3-15 performance on 3rd downs.
    or another completion percentage in the low 50s.
    or the fact that pentalties do continue to be a problem.
    or that we had more than ample oppurtunity to make up for not scoring cuz of the fumble or the missed field goal.
    wasn't exactly like detroit was controlling the clock with first downs and long drives.

    fine, the gameplan and play calling is great.
    the problem are all those other things.
    but is it impossible to think that the same problems keep on occuring not becuz of preparation, or players talents not fitting the scheme but maybe that the scheme is adherently causing those problems?
    i mean logic would tell us that if the problems are continual, similar, but not all the parts are the same that the general scheme of things and the person installing it is making everyone else look bad.
    now i'm not claiming to say we are this supremely talented group on the offensive side of the ball but i can't say we have the talent of one of the worse offensive teams in football.
    but thats how we perform.


    i mean, what is your point?
    that playcalling alone is not causing the problem?
    well no shit.
    but i contend that its an awfully big part of our stinkiness, and probably a good indication of why players are not being successful.
    instead of just surmising that the players stink.
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

  8. #98
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: The Childress Era: Play Calling (2006-2008)

    "ragz" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "ragz" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "Bretto007" wrote:
    OK it is halfway through the 3rd quarter against the lions and we have 0 offensive points.
    THE LIONS.
    In conclusion the offensive play calling is terrible.
    One TD.....just one.
    Don't make the mistake of thinking that the Berrian TD excuses Childress and his shitrotten scheme.
    My dislike of Childress grows by leaps and bounds every week I am forced to watch a very skilled Offense fail to score possession after possession.

    As far as I'm concerned, we could fire Childress right now and not see a drop in production because THERE HASN'T BEEN ANY FLOOPIN PRODUCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Childress is a flippin' Challenged Hillybilly Lover, and has now pulled to just below Red "molests marsupials" McCombs on my list of Viking related people I hate the most (and anyone around during the McCombs years should remember how much I hated him).

    Childress needs to go, and he needs to take Bevell with him.

    Caine
    thank you.
    now when is V gonna stop blaming everything besides him?
    you know what i find annoying, constant excuses for a coaching staff that is not making us better.
    i dont care what he wants to say about personnel or the play of that personnel, there is something definitely wrong with coaching and playcalling when you cant move the ball and score points against the lions.
    again, you dont have to have the offense of the 80s 49ers to be able to score against the lions.
    but lets just keep ignoring that and we'll just keep on signing more and more players and look like the same exact offense.
    actually, we might be getting worse if at home against the lions you can only muster up 10 offensive points.
    the lions offense with orvlovsky scored the same amount of offensive points as us, but i guess there players are just as talented.
    why would it have anything to do with the way the gameplan and playcalling is?
    what a ridiculous and annoying premise.
    I have repeatedly thrown Chilly under the bus. I have never called him anything close to a good coach, and I simply think that his personnell selection is as bad if not worse than his scheme. Why can you not understand that?

    Some of the guys brought in under Chilly are abominable, just as is Chilly's lack of ability to use his talent on the field.

    Think about that game for a second. OL play and turnovers hurt us a lot more than playcalling did. It's clear what we need to do to be effective on offense. It's obvious and you continue to ignore that. We are supposed to have a ball control offense and when you turn the ball over you don't have that. When you have a low 3rd conversion rate because the OL sucks you don't have that.

    What are your solutions? We opened up the offense, went 4-wide on 1st and 10, just as you have been asking for the last three weeks. The result was a Berrian TD.
    How clutch was the pass to Sauce on third down (a GREAT playcall)? How do you not give Bevell and Childress credit for those plays?

    The fact is that the offense is exactly what you wanted to see, and it still sucks, and so instead of admitting you were somewhat incorrect, you blame chilldress for opening up the offense like you asked. The bottomline is you're a hater and nothing that happens will change that. You still even have trouble admitting that benching TJ was the right call, or that Chilly should get any credit for good defense.

    Me blaming everyone but chilly is ridiculous. The only 3 people I have repeatedly criticzed during the Chilly era have been Troy Williamson, Tavaris Jackson, and Brad Childress. Chilly is to blame for that performance yesterday, but its not the scheme or playcalling. It's the lack of team readiness, the inability to run a screen pass, the inability to rally his team during halftime, and the lack of halftime adjustments. At the same time, that game is an easy win without the bevvy of miscues we had. I'm sorry that I don't blame Childress when AD fumbles on the 7, or when a blocked FG occurs.

    I've never had to apologize for being fair before.
    what about another 3-15 performance on 3rd downs.
    or another completion percentage in the low 50s.
    or the fact that pentalties do continue to be a problem.
    or that we had more than ample oppurtunity to make up for not scoring cuz of the fumble or the missed field goal.
    wasn't exactly like detroit was controlling the clock with first downs and long drives.

    fine, the gameplan and play calling is great.
    the problem are all those other things.
    but is it impossible to think that the same problems keep on occuring not becuz of preparation, or players talents not fitting the scheme but maybe that the scheme is adherently causing those problems?
    i mean logic would tell us that if the problems are continual, similar, but not all the parts are the same that the general scheme of things and the person installing it is making everyone else look bad.
    now i'm not claiming to say we are this supremely talented group on the offensive side of the ball but i can't say we have the talent of one of the worse offensive teams in football.
    but thats how we perform.


    i mean, what is your point?
    that playcalling alone is not causing the problem?
    well no shit.
    but i contend that its an awfully big part of our stinkiness, and probably a good indication of why players are not being successful.
    instead of just surmising that the players stink.
    A bash rant followed by agreement followed by disagreement, I'm confused.

    I heard yesterday that a coach's job is to make the bad players good, the good players great, and the great players consistent. Isn't that what Chilly is totally incapable of doing?

    It might be the scheme, or it might be the preparation habits, the focus, the motivation, or heck even the confidence. I don't know. However, I do know that fixing the scheme fixes none of those other things. We would better off to fix other facets, and hope that the results of that include players that better execute the existing scheme.

    If we are not committing penalties or turnovers, but not still running an effective offense, then I would say change the scheme.

    If the run game gets shut down, and the pass game is still nonexistent, then I would say we have two choices. Change the scheme, or change the players. This is where we totally disagree.

    So the question is, has Frerotte benefitted the existing scheme more than Jackson would fare in a different scheme. Very hard to answer because a) the scheme has changed since Frerotte has been inserted and b) no one can say with any certainty what kind of scheme change Jackson would benefit from.

    Childress has done this before guys. He shuffled OL, then he shuffled QB, then he shuffled WR, and now he is shuffling QB again. He always changes players before he changes the scheme, but the scheme has definitely changed too.

    I guess that would be my main point. The offensive scheme is quite different than the first two games, at least in my eyes. I don't like all of the changes, but I can deal with them.

    Did we play like one of the worst offenses in the league on Sunday? No, we played like a good offense that turned the ball over way way too many times.

    The Giants are a good if not great offense that scored 14 points on 373 yards of offense because of turnovers. The Saints in week 5 against us put up 375 yards of offense and scored 13 points because of turnovers. We scored 10 points on 393 yards of offense because of turnovers.

    Compare that to the Colts, who scored 31 points on 331 yards, zero turnovers, and
    Tampa Bay, 315 yards, 27 points, zero turnovers.

    Our offense is not good enough to overcome those miscues and still put points on the board. I guess that is my other point.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  9. #99
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    Re: The Childress Era: Play Calling (2006-2008)

    "V4L" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    The Vikings obviously have an "inside-out" philosophy to the game: i.e. build from the line out, not build WR and the so-called "skill positions" first. This results in us running the ball and stopping the run. We try to "establish the run". Most teams in the NFL now come out throwing all over and they have an "outside-in" mentality of getting good wide-outs and a good QB and then worrying about the line after that. Also, most teams throw and then when they build up a lead, they then "establish the run" in the second half of the game. We do the opposite, I think.

    I don't believe that is true. Childress has taken only one OL on the first day, that was Cook in the second round. He has taken no DL on the first day. Our first pick in 06 was Greenway, our first pick in 07 was AD, our first pick in 08 was Tyrell Johnson. So we have drafted a "playmaker" in AD, an OLB in Greenway and a S in Tyrell. All of which I personally would consider "skill" postions.
    Exactly.

    When he came aboard he said everything would begin with the line play. Through 2.25 seasons he has yet to establish balance in his line play on either side of the ball.

    I feel our lines are pretty good and consistant
    So what do you call the OL play against the Lions?

  10. #100
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: The Childress Era: Play Calling (2006-2008)

    So many to choose from..........I pick this one for this article....... ;D

    [size=14pt]On Brad Childress' Offensive Limitations (or, I've finally given up)[/size]

    "'I don't know enough about the single wing,' Childress said. 'I think it was probably in before I was born. I've never read any books on it. It might be something to investigate in my bye week.'"

    http://pacifistviking.blogspot.com/2008/10/why-i.html
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 62
    Last Post: 10-22-2007, 04:33 PM
  2. Offensive Play-calling: off or not ?!
    By StillPurple in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-21-2007, 06:58 AM
  3. Childress Reconsidering Play-Calling Duties?
    By PurplePumpkin in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-23-2006, 01:00 PM
  4. Offensive Play Calling
    By loudog in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 05:59 PM
  5. Play calling is horrable
    By VikingsTw in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-03-2003, 12:47 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •