Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Childress ends talk of Culpepper

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    Good article.

I think it's pretty obvious that the whole laptop rumor was just that, a rumor. Sounded a bit extreeme to me to begin with.

I think Napo is his MLB.
    Just out of curiosity, why do you feel Napo is the new MLB?

Granted his performance wasn't that great last year, given the few opportunities he had. He is speedy, & that's what the cover 2 needs.

Do you think it's because of the cover 2 defense, Tomlin coaching instead of Cottrell or something else?
    I think he fits the role. He is fast, and he has the ability to make quick decisions. He's not the best cover LB, but from what I gather the zones are going to be limited to short yardage. So what you really need is a guy who has the ability to make a decision in weather to stay or to go out of his zone. You wont see a LB running 25 yards down field on a WR.

I think he got the shaft last year playing under Cottrell. He gets blasted on here all the time. He is a playmaker. He made a handfull of plays on talent alone last year, a big sack, a couple huge tackles.

He just looked like a guy playing out of his element. I don't think many people realize how horrible Ted was for our team. People have a tendency to put it all on the players when the coaches are the most important people out there, definately the MOST important at the NFL level.

Napo got the shaft by playing in Ted's system that really left the OLB's floating. It made them the victim and not the attacker like they should be. His system took away the ability to make those athletic decisions. Couple that with people wanting him to fail because he was compensation for Moss, I think he just got screwed over by the fans and the coaching staff.
    Thanx for the insight Del. I really liked the comment about the coaches, which I agree with.

We saw to many good players drop in productivity, under the assistant coaches we had, including Hovan, & our DB's.

It wasn't until Winfield spoke out that they were being "handcuffed" by Cottrell & Tice stepped in, that the DB's started playing better.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    Good article.

I think it's pretty obvious that the whole laptop rumor was just that, a rumor. Sounded a bit extreeme to me to begin with.

I think Napo is his MLB.

Granted his performance wasn't that great last year, given the few opportunities he had. He is speedy, & that's what the cover 2 needs.

Do you think it's because of the cover 2 defense, Tomlin coaching instead of Cottrell or something else?
    I think he fits the role. He is fast, and he has the ability to make quick decisions. He's not the best cover LB, but from what I gather the zones are going to be limited to short yardage. So what you really need is a guy who has the ability to make a decision in weather to stay or to go out of his zone. You wont see a LB running 25 yards down field on a WR.

I think he got the shaft last year playing under Cottrell. He gets blasted on here all the time. He is a playmaker. He made a handfull of plays on talent alone last year, a big sack, a couple huge tackles.

He just looked like a guy playing out of his element. I don't think many people realize how horrible Ted was for our team. People have a tendency to put it all on the players when the coaches are the most important people out there, definately the MOST important at the NFL level.

Napo got the shaft by playing in Ted's system that really left the OLB's floating. It made them the victim and not the attacker like they should be. His system took away the ability to make those athletic decisions. Couple that with people wanting him to fail because he was compensation for Moss, I think he just got screwed over by the fans and the coaching staff.
    I think Napo got a bad rap right off the bat because he was part of the Moss trade. I think people were intent on showing that it was a bad trade, so they focused on saying how bad Napo was this past year.

There's no doubt the guy has the talent. No one goes that high in the draft unless they have some sort of ability. I just think he needs the right system and the right coaching, and he can be a solid player.

Del Rio Guest

"ltrey33" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    Good article.

I think Napo is his MLB.

I think Napo got a bad rap right off the bat because he was part of the Moss trade. I think people were intent on showing that it was a bad trade, so they focused on saying how bad Napo was this past year.

There's no doubt the guy has the talent. No one goes that high in the draft unless they have some sort of ability. I just think he needs the right system and the right coaching, and he can be a solid player.
    He has been most productive in his career at MLB. So I think given the vision and the position he would do a good job. I don't really see any other stand out options for MLB "in house" like Childress says his guy is.

I agree completely. He was labeled horrible when he got here just because he was part of the Moss trade. Exactly why people are quick to bash on Troy Williamson, because he was part of the Moss trade.

That pisses me off too. Why? Why do that? Same thing as people all of a sudden hating Brad Johnson attacking him and his abilities. Why? He didn't cause any harm to Culpepper. Napo and Williamson had nothing to do with Moss.

* I think Williamson has a big year btw. I also think if they do move Napo to MLB he will have a big year as well. Brad likes Troy, I think we will see that on the field big time this season.

Prophet Guest

I'm looking forward to the thread titled, "PP.O ends talks of Culpepper".

damien927 is offline Asst. Coach

Napo, while not as bad as many said, played pretty poorly last year. It may have been the system, who knows, but I have reservations about him becoming our starting MLB without some type of competition. What about E.J.?

Thanks Lotza!

Redmption is offline Pro-Bowler

I never followed Nap when he was in Oakland. I just knew he was a bust there and he lost his job here because he wasnt playing well. You list all these great things about him but why would Oakland trade him if he was such a stud? If it was position that messed him up then lets see him prove himself in the MLB spot but history shows him not performing well on two teams. I like his athletisism and speed and want him to lead the LB crew but he hasnt done it so far on two different teams

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=18px]Childress ends talk of Culpepper[/size]

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Last update: March 21, 2006 – 10:29 PM

In what he indicated were his final comments about the trade of quarterback Daunte Culpepper, Vikings coach Brad Childress confirmed Tuesday that he turned down Culpepper's request for a playbook during the formative stages of their relationship.

Childress ends talk of Culpepper

Mark Rosen had reported on Kfan that the Vikings had sent a laptop to Daunte with the playbook and that it had not been opened. With this statement from Childress that could not have been correct.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Del Rio Guest

"Redmption" wrote:
    I never followed Nap when he was in Oakland. I just knew he was a bust there and he lost his job here because he wasnt playing well. You list all these great things about him but why would Oakland trade him if he was such a stud? If it was position that messed him up then lets see him prove himself in the MLB spot but history shows him not performing well on two teams. I like his athletisism and speed and want him to lead the LB crew but he hasnt done it so far on two different teams
    "I never followed Nap when he was in Oakland" So why talk shit? Then you go on to say history has prooven it? WTF? All Rookie team, superbowl, high ranked defense, huge solo tackle stats at MLB, forced fumbles........what history book are you reading?

Call Al Davis and ask them why they traded him. Probably because RANDY MOSS was on the table. That and he suffered a knee injury the season before. They moved him to olb and he struggled a bit.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

I knew Napolean had struggled in the 3-4 scheme...he said as much himself when he came over.

I also know that NO ONE played well in the Cottrell system...because no one understood it (Not even Cottrell I'm ionclined to think), and the Linebackers were definately hung out to dry far too often (Much like Smoot was versus Carolina).

I was unaware of Harris' rookie stats (Never really looked him up), but if MLB is where he produces, and our current coaching staff is familiar with him, I see no reason not to put him where he will most benefit himself - and us. Sort of makes sense in a "well, DUHHHH" sort of way.

And I further agree with Del that Williamson is well on his way to being an excellent pick. He wasn't utilized much last season...but very few rookie receivers are. I look for him to gain momentum this season...a LOT of momentum.

Caine

Calmwind is offline Starter

Harris: I agree with Del as usual. Ted Cotrell was the bane of our Defense. I dont think Nap had a chance to succeed in that system to begin with. With all the talent on our defensive side we should have been a top 5 D. But in TC's system its about "Lets hang our guys out to dry and hope they make a big play." I think he built it so if it dosent do well the players look like the problem instead of the System. That said I am also assuming he means Harris and I hope the guy shines.
    Williamson: I wasn't upset with him either. Being a spoiled Vikes fan and seeing Moss do what no other rookie WR had ever done and will never again do, kinda makes it hard on any other rookie WR to come to the Vikes. I think he will be a big player for us this year.
    Del Rio: "Football will go on, better players have left the Vikings, and better players will leave in the future.....the game rolls on."

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast