singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Childress earning high marks for accountability

Posted on Sun, Sep. 17, 2006

[size=13pt]Childress earning high marks for accountability[/size]

During the offseason, Vikings coach Brad Childress marched every player and free agent into his office for a chat.

Childress wanted to look each player in the eye, engage him in conversation and make at least two points clear: You will accountable for your actions, and you will not be above the team.

That he makes those points doesn't make him special; that he follows through does.

"Everyone says it," cornerback Antoine Winfield said. "But teams want to win in this league, and if your best players are acting up, you don't want to sit them down.

"He's doing it, and it's rare."

While nobody has explicitly said so, Childress traded Pro Bowl quarterback Daunte Culpepper and released Pro Bowl kickoff returner Koren Robinson for those two reasons. Despite their talents and popularity, Culpepper and Robinson did not fit the mold Childress implemented when owner Zygi Wilf hired him just over nine months ago.

"He's clear-cut about it," Winfield said. "He explained to us that he was going to do it a certain way, his way, and to just abide by the rules, be professional and do the right thing. And if you don't, you're going to be disciplined, and he's not showing any favoritism. He's the first guy I've seen do that."

Childress initially gave Culpepper and Robinson the benefit of the doubt, although their histories were not clean slates. Childress anointed Culpepper his starter from Day One, and he approved Robinson receiving a three-year contract predicated on performance.

Both players seemingly breached one of the two conditions Childress outlined to every player. Regardless of what happens in court, Robinson made several regrettable decisions Aug. 15, as he raced back toward the dormitory at Minnesota State Mankato to beat curfew.

Culpepper, challenged Childress to a game of chicken, pushing the limits of the new coach's authority. Culpepper canceled at least one face-to-face with Childress, and he coveted the diva treatment he had enjoyed under previous coaches Dennis Green and Mike Tice.

Longing to be considered an equal to the likes of Peyton Manning and Donovan McNabb, Culpepper demanded to be paid as one of the NFL's elite quarterbacks. During training camp in 2005, Wilf relented and rewarded Culpepper a sizable pay increase, with the player and his agent believing a new deal would be consummated the following spring.

By then, however, the Vikings' landscape had changed, with Tice ousted and Culpepper hobbled. While he recognized his quarterback's potential, Childress deemed Culpepper a "me first" player who did not fit his criteria.

The irreparable blow: when the Vikings said Culpepper would have to win the starting job over Brad Johnson at training camp.

Childress generally does not allow for preferential treatment, although he did allow veterans with eight-plus years of NFL experience to bunk alone at training camp, while everyone else had a roommate. Childress later formed a veterans' committee that meets with him on a need basis to address players' issues. The veterans are: safeties Darren Sharper and Dwight Smith, Winfield, offensive linemen Matt Birk and Steve Hutchinson, receiver Travis Taylor, defensive tackle Kevin Williams, linebacker E.J. Henderson, and tight end Jermaine Wiggins.

Hours before the season opener, Childress again reinforced his high standards. He deactivated Smith because of the starting safety's citation for indecent conduct last month in downtown Minneapolis.

"I think a lot of guys, especially veterans who have been around a while, appreciate it when a coach is honest with you and does hold you accountable for the things that you do, on and off the field," Sharper said. "You want to keep it standard, on a level field, for all your players, from your first player to your 53rd player."

BY SEAN JENSEN

Pioneer Press

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Re: Childress earning high marks for accountability

I had the pleasure of playing 18 holes with Ahmad Rashad at a charity event, right after the Randy Moss trade.
    During the round, we talked about alot of things, for example, I asked some questions:
    Was Tommy Kramer as wild as he was made up to be?
    "Yes, maybe wilder...but, a great guy."
    Who was the toughest Viking you played with?
    Without hesitation, Rashad replied, "Jim Marshall; the man NEVER sat, and believe me, he was hurt alot."
    How will the Vikes be without Randy Moss?
    "Better, perhaps we can restore pride in VikingLand.
    Bud Grant had four rules, only four...if you broke one, you sat or were gone.
    Players today are not held accountable."
    The day spent with Rashad had many more highlights, for me anyway, but, I'm sure he would be pleased with what Childress is doing...In fact, I'm sure everyones favorite Bud is too.

Well, it may be blasphemy, but, I bet Childress is making very high marks with Viking greats.
    Also, from the "whatever it's worth category, and I'm sure it pained him, Mike Ditka mentioned yesterday that it is obvious to him and the Vikings players who is in charge.
    Sounds like old school; I love it.
    Keep punching teams in the mouth and hold your players accountable Coach Childress.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Prophet Guest

"MaxVike" wrote:
    I had the pleasure of playing 18 holes with Ahmad Rashad at a charity event, right after the Randy Moss trade.
    During the round, we talked about alot of things, for example, I asked some questions:
    Was Tommy Kramer as wild as he was made up to be?
    "Yes, maybe wilder...but, a great guy."
    Who was the toughest Viking you played with?
    Without hesitation, Rashad replied, "Jim Marshall; the man NEVER sat, and believe me, he was hurt alot."
    How will the Vikes be without Randy Moss?
    "Better, perhaps we can restore pride in VikingLand.
    Bud Grant had four rules, only four...if you broke one, you sat or were gone.
    Players today are not held accountable."
    The day spent with Rashad had many more highlights, for me anyway, but, I'm sure he would be pleased with what Childress is doing...In fact, I'm sure everyones favorite Bud is too.

Well, it may be blasphemy, but, I bet Childress is making very high marks with Viking greats.
    Also, from the "whatever it's worth category, and I'm sure it pained him, Mike Ditka mentioned yesterday that it is obvious to him and the Vikings players who is in charge.
    Sounds like old school; I love it.
    Keep punching teams in the mouth and hold your players accountable Coach Childress.
    I like his accountability too.
    It meant a lot to me when Bud Grant endorsed him when they were signing him up as HC.
    The Hamper Hider (Turboe) will be jealous that you played a round of golf with Ahmad.
    I thought of Jim Marshall yesterday when Gamble made that play.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Great Post.

Well coached teams will always have a chance to win, even when they aren't supposed to.

Gotta love this coaching staff.
    It appears most, if not all of the team does.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg