Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Childress dumps Cottrell, several other coaches

Hasta la vista, Teddy!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Special teams is about finding that right player, with the X-factor for returns....aka K-Rob. I'm glad Childress is cleanin house, becuase it was Tice's team around here....now its Childress'.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

:salute:

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

CanuckVike is offline Starter

I'm glad we're cleaning house as far as the assistants are concerned. I think Cotrell did a poor job with the talent he had...it wasn't 'til Tice took over a bit that the D started to come around.

And although Rusty was thought to be one of the better assistants by a lot of us (I don't agree), we always seemed to get nailed by a fake punt, or fg or surprise onside kick many times in the past few years...isn't that part of the special teams play?

I know we had that big STeams game vs the Giants, but I think that was more to do with special abilities via Koren Robinson and Melwelde Moore and an overated Giants team. Good riddance to all of them I say.
    8ed0c24a99f7e44be7931aa4afb7bd88

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I am so glad that is official. Cotrell was just horrid!

I really agree that a coach should be able to bring in whomever he wants to. Unless the coach/coordinator is very good like Kiffin.

I can't believe Childress sacked Ted Cottrell! I'm glad that Childress is shaking things up, but part of me is pissed that he got rid of TC after only his second season with the Vikings.
    I read the other comments concerning the Tampa 2, so perhaps this was the right move, but I'm not sure we've got as strong or consistent secondary as we might need to pull it off. I just hope that Childress doesn't mind being fired, if he doesn't produce in two seasons, since that's exactly what he did to Cottrell. But, if TC doesn't fit into the scheme that Childress wants, and he still produces in the next couple of seasons, more power to him.

renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

I guess I'm just more a fan of the Minnesota Vikings as a whole, rather than being a fan of individual players and coaches.

I LIKE Culpepper, Bennett, Tice, Moss, et al...but I LOVE the Vikings, and if these players/coaches can't get the job done, ie. contend for the Playoffs and beyond, through several years of attempts, then it stands to reason (to me, at least) that we need to bring in new blood. This is why I'm utterly ecstatic with the new ownership, compared to the old. Wilf really seems like he has a vision and a plan, and I'm good with that.

It's unfortunate that Cottrell wasn't given at least a couple more years to fully integrate his players/schemes.....but as was said earlier, it's the ugly nature of this business. Childress obviously believed Cottrell was NOT the guy to go with, and since he's at the helm of our longship now, he calls the shots.

I'm not deluding myself into thinking that we're going to be instant contenders this next year.....too many new faces trying to adapt to new surroundings, talent, etc. IMO, though, he should at least get the benefit of the doubt for his first couple years or so. By the time '07 rolls around we should have a solid view of what Childress is about, and he'll have a clearer blueprint of what needs to be done with what he has available to him.

JMO

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

if tice gets the jets job atleast he gets all his old guys back
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

From KFFL;

Vikings | Baker will not be retained
    Sun, 15 Jan 2006 08:00:31 -0800

Updating previous reports, the Star Tribune reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress has told defensive line coach Brian Baker that he won't be a member of the coaching staff.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I just can't stop thinking about the statement Wilf made in the past..

" There will be some changes but nothing major"

Just seems to me, doesn't get any more major than whats going on now..

Not complaining, I like the tree being shook........And I think it's going to be for the best of the team in the long run..

Ziggy should at least take time to explain to us why sometimes his word and the actions to follow don't match up..

But as I said earlier,,,,,,,I like whats going on as far as the Major Changes......

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123