Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    TARK10 is offline Waterboy

Childress days are numbered.

Hey guys.
    I read this site quite often, but typically don't offer my comments.
    I've been a loyal Viking fan since 1971 and I just turned 54.
    I"ve been here in Texas since 1980 and subscribe to DircTV NFL package so I haven't missed a game in 11 seasons now.
    Childress banked his future on Tarvaris Jackson and this didn't work out.
    This will probably cost Chilly his job.
    Ziggy spent big bucks this off-season and expected a return on his investment.
    Unfortunately, for all concerned, he's not getting it.
    I will hope they lose at least 3 of their last six games.
    The successful franchises have had stability on and off the field.
    Bud Grant and Denny Green provided experience, stability, and consistancy and had many winning seasons.
    Excluding a five year run with Culpepper, this team hasn't had a Pro Bowl caliber Q.B. since Fran Tarkenton hung up his cleats after the '78 season.
    Look at the Giants, Cowboys, Steelers, Patriots, Colts, Jets, even the Dolphins w/ Pennington are doing well.
    Lets hope Ziggy will pursue Bill Cowher and add the necessary ingredient to restore this franchise to respectability in the off season.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Childress days are numbered.

Hmmmm, although I am not a supporter of the Chiller and want to see him gone, I don't think any of your arguements will carry any weight with respect to if he gets fired or not.

Childress banked his future on Tarvaris Jackson and this didn't work out.
    This will probably cost Chilly his job
    One of the biggest cliche's out there my friend.
    If it was true, what do you have to say about the staffs that drafted the likes of VY, Lienart, Russell etc who used top 10 draft picks and invested huge amounts of gauranteed money on them.

What this staff did is take the only QB that was still available in the second round and are giving him a minimal amount of money to keep him on the roster.

Quick question, what QB would have you drafted that year based on how the draft went?

Ziggy spent big bucks this off-season and expected a return on his investment.
    Unfortunately, for all concerned, he's not getting it.
    I will hope they lose at least 3 of their last six games.
    This kindof bares some credibility, however, I don't think this will be enough to get him fired.

Long story short, when this organization started down the path of gutting this team, building via the draft with limited FA signings, the owner probably was made aware of how many wins/losses he could expect as well as how ugly it would get with respect to how it would go with the "Win Now or Else" fan and media.

Nope, the only way I see the Chiller going anywere is if he loses this team and the owner starts to see unrest in the locker room because of it.
    To date, it apears the biggest supporters of the Chiller is the team and the owner sees that.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

I disagree.

As of this morning, the Vikings are tied for first in the NFC North.

The Vikings are playing harder more consistently for Brad Childress than they did for Mike Tice or Dennis Green. Green took forever to win a playoff game, and couldn't win the NFC Championship game. There are very good reasons why neither are currently head coaches. The Vikings of the Grant and Jerry Burns era were great teams, but ultimately it's Childress's job to win the NFL Super Bowl that Bud Grant never got.

The Vikings are not having a banner year, but it is an improved year. I can forgive mistakes, especially when the coaches and players learn from them. What I can't stand is lack of effort. Under Childress, the Vikings are always out there giving everything they've got. That's a sign of a good coach. Childress inherited a team denuded of talent, its spirit broken. He's built up a very good team.

Sure, Childress maybe needs to hire a different offensive coordinator. There has been a lot of progress for the offense since the Tice era that we shouldn't forget, though. As for special teams coverage units, we need more talented backups who can play special teams. This year we suffered key injuries among these personnel, like Ciurciu, etc.... I don't know if the special teams coordinator needs to be replaced or not. I just don't know.

The Vikings quarterback woes stretch back to when we lost Wade Wilson, and then Dennis Green got rid of future-MVP Rich Gannon. Cunningham was in the late stages of his career and gave us his best year. The drafting of Daunte Culpepper was supposed to give us a quarterback for 10 to 15 years. Unfortunately, it didn't work out, largely, in my opinion, because Green and Tice failed to teach Culpepper the right lessons. Culpepper never learned to read defenses or be a good pocket passer.

Childress has made mistakes. Tarvaris Jackson could have been drafted at a later round. Tyler Thigpen should have been kept on the active roster. We should have traded for Jeff Garcia. What I never see is Childress making the same mistake again and again. He learns from his mistakes. Childress is giving this everything he's got. The Vikings need to bring TJack, Booty, and two more young prospects to camp next year and keep the top two. Frerrotte should be kept to be the veteran backup who mentors the younger quarterbacks. If Frerrotte retires, we should get somebody like him.

The Vikings have improved under Childress. Tackling, blocking, and fundamental football are vastly improved. The passing game has shown sparks. Our passing defense is the best it's been since the 90s when Millard and Doleman took up residence in opponent's backfields. Then there's the vaunted rushing defense, not to mention the rushing offense. The general trend is one of improvement. This bodes well for the future.

Keep Childress! Keep the Vikings on the right track!

Go Vikings!

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

He certainly is if we don't make the playoffs this season.
    He'll need to go AT LEAST 4-2 for the rest of the season in order for that to happen.
    Well, I certainly hope we do.
    Still, it's going to be very difficult.

His ass is on the line.
    I think he's a bum who isn't cut out to be a head coach.
    If this team - which is quite capable of being a contender, and don't let anyone convince you otherwise - misses the playoffs, then it is indisputable proof that Chiller is wasting the sheer talent present in this team.

No excuses - this is the team that he wanted.
    If we fail, the buck stops in HIS office.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"BBQ" wrote:
    He'll need to go AT LEAST 4-2 for the rest of the season in order for that to happen.

His ass is on the line.
    If this team - which is quite capable of being a contender, and don't let anyone convince you otherwise - misses the playoffs, then it is indisputable proof that Chiller is wasting the sheer talent present in this team.

Still without the quarterback, that is. So almost the team he wants.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

"Braddock" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:

His jiggly butt is on the line.

T-Jack WAS the quarterback he wanted.
    So sorry, that argument doesn't fly.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"vikesfargo" wrote:
    I disagree.

As of this morning, the Vikings are tied for first in the NFC North.

The Vikings are playing harder more consistently for Brad Childress than they did for Mike Tice or Dennis Green. Green took forever to win a playoff game, and couldn't win the NFC Championship game. There are very good reasons why neither are currently head coaches. The Vikings of the Grant and Jerry Burns era were great teams, but ultimately it's Childress's job to win the NFL Super Bowl that Bud Grant never got.

The Vikings are not having a banner year, but it is an improved year. I can forgive mistakes, especially when the coaches and players learn from them. What I can't stand is lack of effort. Under Childress, the Vikings are always out there giving everything they've got. That's a sign of a good coach. Childress inherited a team denuded of talent, its spirit broken. He's built up a very good team.

Sure, Childress maybe needs to hire a different offensive coordinator. There has been a lot of progress for the offense since the Tice era that we shouldn't forget, though. As for special teams coverage units, we need for talented backups who can play special teams. This year we suffered key injuries among these personnel, like Ciurciu, etc.... I don't know if the special teams coordinator needs to be replaced or not. I just don't know.

Keep Childress! Keep the Vikings on the right track!
    We may be tied for first, but that's not good enough, that's nowhere close to good enough with the team we have. We were expected to come out and dominate this division, and contend for the top spot in the NFC. Being .500 is a tremendous disappointment.

And I don't think we've played as inspired as you think under Childress, I remember thinking how flat our team has looked several times this year. And that comes down to coaching. If the players are not confident in the plays the coaches are calling, there's no hope.

Hiring a new offensive coordinator would help, but that also means Childress really needs to step out of that role, not just pretend to. He needs to truly step away from playcalling, and take a backseat in gameplanning.

He also needs to let someone else draft our next quarterback, not rush him in, and then give up on him too quickly.

Childress needs to go.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"BBQ" wrote:
    "Braddock" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:

BBQ, do you think TJ was our first choice at QB that year?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

"BBQ" wrote:
    "Braddock" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:

Culpepper was the quarterback he wanted, until Culpepper turned into a spoiled brat. We would have had Favre this year but the Packers didn't let us have him. While I think the Cult of Favre is disgusting, the man does know how to chuck the pigskin.

Go Vikings!

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:
    "Braddock" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:

BBQ, do you think TJ was our first choice at QB that year?
    Yes.
    He most definitely was, by virtue of the fact that Childress SAID he was.
    We didn't bother to pick up anyone better than Gus Ferotte, so this was clearly the case.
    I don't see how you can argue otherwise.

If we REALLY wanted Favre, we would've gotten him, just like we did with Jared Allen.
    We gave a pretty half-assed effort to try and get him, but I think it was clear from the get-go that TJ was Brad's guy.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast