Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    bigbadragz is offline Coordinator

Re: Childress on Cook

well lets just hope that this isn't childress blowing more smoke up our butts.
    remember when tice would talk up guys like lewis kelly and chris lewinski and the next thing you know the guys were being benched every other game, much like marcus johnson, mike rosenthal, and so on and so forth.
    remember when he would always talk about this guy grading out as the best o-lineman this week.
    whatever tice, we were losing to the worse teams in the nfl after starting off 6-0, hello?
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"bigbadragz" wrote:
    remember when tice would talk up guys like lewis kelly and chris lewinski and the next thing you know the guys were being benched every other game, much like marcus johnson, mike rosenthal, and so on and so forth.
    remember when he would always talk about this guy grading out as the best o-lineman this week.
    whatever tice, we were losing to the worse teams in the nfl after starting off 6-0, hello?

Offensive lineman usually take 3 to 4 years to reach their potential, because Marcus Johnson hasn't been the starter we had hoped for yet doesn't mean that he won't be someday.
    Plus I would like to see him move into the right guard position and make Hicks a backup.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

bigbadragz is offline Coordinator

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "bigbadragz" wrote:

Offensive lineman usually take 3 to 4 years to reach their potential, because Marcus Johnson hasn't been the starter we had hoped for yet doesn't mean that he won't be someday.
    Plus I would like to see him move into the right guard position and make Hicks a backup.
    so would i but they seem to not wanna put him there
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

"bigbadragz" wrote:
    Tice blew smoke up your butt?

No one I know was fooled by Tice.
    You're the first to admit it.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Hell Yeah!!
    That is what I've been saying too!!!!
    Put MarcusJ at RG, Birk can help him put that "mean streak" to work, the left side should be good by now...Hopefully Cook develops at RT!!
    Maybe we can run to the right almost as well as left...?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Del Rio is offline Coordinator

I have seen and took part in drill with Cook, the guy is solid and like I said when we picked him he will last a long time in the NFL.

There is no way he is too tall to play center lmao. He has played center in college. The QB's in the NFL are taller anyway. He can pull and get his hands on you. The Vikings could use him at center np.
    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"Purplexing" wrote:
    Cook was said to be too tall to be a pro center, so he's going to have to make it as a RT.
    He earned his keep last year, and this year he will be kept because he can backup Birk at C.
    But if he doesn't improve at RT, he may be cut or demoted to the bench in favor of a good RT, despite the fact he can play C.
    He will only be used as a center if Birk is injured.
    I have heard this criticism of him too.
    I remember someone saying it on draft day last year.
    Heck mighta even been Kiper.

I agree with Del Rio though I dont understand why he could play center in college ball but not the NFL.

"Cook has excellent size for a center and if he blocks aggressively, he has the size and natural strength to be a force in the middle. He needs to use his hands more aggressively in pass protection to punch and slow the defensive tackle's initial rush. He is good at sealing the defensive tackle out of the play on inside runs and can make the reach block more effectively than most offensive linemen despite lacking good athletic ability. He is a smart, instinctive center who sees defensive line stunts/loops and delayed blitzes coming and can adjust to make the block. Overall, Cook is the type of center who is often overlooked because he is a limited athlete and does not dominate his man and may not be drafted because of it. However, Cook is going to learn to use his hands better and will make an NFL team as a backup center/guard and eventually will develop into a solid starting center. He will never be dominant, but will be solid and will block his man well in a small area. He reminds me a little bit of Patriots center Dan Koppen. "

This profile contradicts the comments we heard about him being too tall.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Purplexing" wrote:
    "bigbadragz" wrote:
    Tice blew smoke up your butt?

No one I know was fooled by Tice.
    You're the first to admit it.

Come on, with 6-0 and 5-1 starts, there wee a couple of years when I think we were all fooled a little...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

davike is offline Team Alumni

"Del" wrote:
    I have seen and took part in drill with Cook, the guy is solid and like I said when we picked him he will last a long time in the NFL.

There is no way he is too tall to play center lmao. He has played center in college. The QB's in the NFL are taller anyway. He can pull and get his hands on you. The Vikings could use him at center np.
    Where ever he plays I hope he turns out to be a dominant player.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

ballhog27 is offline Rookie

This is what bugs me. In earlier posts people talk about Matt Birk being 30 and that we shouldn't resign him due to age issues. What is wrong with some of these people? This isn't your father's game anymore. Most players can play till they are 37 years of age and still make a valuable contirbution. Even if this sport is hard on the body, most professionals lift weights and condition themselves far better than the athletes of even the early 90s. That being said, I thought it was a dumb idea for the Vikings not to draft Greg Eslinger late in last year's draft. Matt Birk is still not a sure thing in my book because he plays next to the best LG in the game.
    "Show me a good and gracious loser and I'll show you a failure."
    - Knute Rockne

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast