Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Childress in charge: No doubt about it

Posted on Sat, Sep. 02, 2006

[size=13pt]Childress in charge: Vikings' new boss leaves no doubt about it[/size]

DAVE CAMPBELL
    Associated Press

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - Brad Childress gets it from the strangers all the time: "Aren't you that guy from that show?"

If they're older, they ask about "Simon and Simon." If they're younger, it's "Major Dad." Either way, the Minnesota Vikings coach has been mistaken for TV actor Gerald McRaney more often than not.

But despite his responsibility running the region's most popular sports team, Childress hasn't yet assumed a high profile around the Twin Cities, unlike his predecessor with the booming baritone, Mike Tice.

It's been only eight months since Childress was hired, but the bald, slender 50-year-old - who is about a foot shorter than Tice - is more interested in an incognito lifestyle. His small build and habit of covering up a nearly bare head has helped keep Childress, who is married with four children, from spending too much time in the spotlight.

"There's a lot of mustached guys with hats on," he said with a wry smile during an earlier interview in his office right before training camp began.

Convinced that the Vikings, 9-7 last season, were the most talented team with a coaching vacancy, Childress jumped at the opportunity and immediately began establishing his identity as a stern, disciplined, steady face of a franchise undergoing significant changes.

He made headlines this winter with critical comments about unhappy quarterback Daunte Culpepper, who was ultimately traded away, the first sign that Childress is serious about making clear who is in charge.

Even with less availability to the media from him and the rest of the front office, it has not been difficult to determine the philosophies of this new-look organization - which was officially purchased by Zygi Wilf, his family and friends in the summer of 2005.

Childress is a major part of this transition by an operation focused on cleaning up its image in the community, securing funding for a new stadium and rebuilding a consistent winner on the field - and keeping business a secret whenever possible, hardly a startling development in today's NFL.

Trust and accountability are of immense importance to Childress, who was born and raised in Aurora, Ill., and spent a big chunk of his coaching career as a college assistant at Illinois and Wisconsin before joining Philadelphia's staff in 1999.

He's adamant about keeping a level head and making sure all of his coaches understand their roles and what he wants from them and his players - bringing many of his styles, routines and preferences from his days under coach Andy Reid with the Eagles.

At first glance, Childress is a dry, tight-ship, no-nonsense guy with a rasp, gravelly voice. Asked in the spring during minicamp about his supposed elation over finding backup quarterback Mike McMahon available as a free agent, he replied flatly: "I don't know if I deal in 'happy' that much."

A few weeks later after another offseason workout, Childress told reporters how he canceled practice the day before in favor of a team bowling outing. He declined to participate, though, serving as commissioner in much the same fashion as he did at the Vikings' annual charity golf event.

"Somebody has got to have oversight on that type of thing," he said.

There is a looser side to him, though. Reporting last month that Tank Williams would miss the season because of a broken kneecap, Childress acknowledged that he became a little "emotional" in the locker room when he saw the veteran safety and learned his fate.

In his office at team headquarters, eager to show a couple of visitors, Childress practically leaped out of his chair and beamed about some of his favorite football memories that hung on the wall in the form of large framed photographs: the 2004-05 Philadelphia team that went to the Super Bowl, the 2003-04 NFC Pro Bowl team and the 1993-94 Wisconsin team that won the Rose Bowl.

Childress quickly mentioned that he'd like to see some Vikings photos up there, too, perhaps remembering he had work to do and how maintaining a flat line is one of his mantras.

"Never too high and never too low," Childress said. "The speed of the captain is the speed of the ship, so I think that's really important."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Childress in charge: No doubt about it

good read =) childress has always seemed like a class A guy, i hope we're all right about our hopes for him

and i too hope theres soon some vikings pictures up there

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

God help us....................

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"CCthebest" wrote:
    God help us....................

CC, WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE TEAM?.......I haven't seen you say anything positive about the Vikings yet.....Are you sure your in the right forum?

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

The Vikes of course!

I read stuff like this about Childress and all I see is a couch with a god complex. I sure hope im wrong about him, he cant be worse then Tice.

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

CC, you are a broken record.
    Go away

[color=red]

Prophet Guest

He sure is a broken record.
    I already asked him to start a thread and explain his 'god complex' comments that he tosses out there all the time, it's painful to even think of that post.
    The content of his posts are negative, which is fine if that's what you're into, but the problem is they lack content or support and most of the time are just flat-out made up.

I guess there's the 'ignore' option.
    Does that make it so you can never see someone's posts again?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Prophet" wrote:
    He sure is a broken record.
    I already asked him to start a thread and explain his 'god complex' comments that he tosses out there all the time, it's painful to even think of that post.
    The content of his posts are negative, which is fine if that's what you're into, but the problem is they lack content or support and most of the time are just flat-out made up.

I guess there's the 'ignore' option.
    Does that make it so you can never see someone's posts again?
    That's what I was wondering. Is it just for that thread or is it forever.

I wonder if the CC in his name stands for cold & callous.
    ;D

It's OK to disagree with others on certain opinions, but to live in a negative world & be a "doubting Thomas" all of the time is just unhealthy.

Try looking at some positives & post about that. Certainly you must see some positive aspects in the Vikings.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

It's forever, until you change it back of course...
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

How can you not have positive things to say about this team under Childress? He came in, got rid of the negatives and replaced them with positives, and has run a no nonsense team since coming to Minny.. We have a better team then we did last season, and it is in large part due to Brad Childress.. We look faster on defense, more comfortable on offense, and just all around better.. Give the guy a break, he has only coached in preseason, and from what I saw, did one hell of a job..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast