Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Childress casts frosty aura

These are some of the things that stuck out to me in the article;

But after 10 months of Childress' tenure, players had learned not to assume anything about his methods and did not know if "Victory Monday" was reward or punishment.
    Some players requested anonymity, fearing retribution after witnessing Robinson's surprising departure. One used the word "cold" to describe the team's daily working environment, while another referred to a constant "uneasiness" that some players feel in Childress' program.
    Robinson, on the other hand, described his relationship with Childress as "a total lack of communication" and said he was not the only player who felt that way.
    Nevertheless, like many new coaches, Childress has caused hard feelings on several occasions. He has chastised players at least five times after newspapers reported information about injuries or changes to the starting lineup, in essence accusing them of leaking the information.

He also has upset several players by referring to them as "you guys" during team meetings and "those guys" in media interviews rather than the generic "we."
    But irritation reached a higher level when Childress said publicly that one of the team's top problems was execution -- in other words, players not doing their jobs. Two players said they felt teammates were being "thrown under the bus" for failures that extended beyond simple execution.

Birk, for one, did not go nearly that far but said that football is always a team game.
    "Every play that gets drawn up on the blackboard works on the blackboard," Birk said. "When it doesn't work, there is plenty of blame to go around. There's not a player that can say, 'I'm executing the way it's supposed to be done and it's not working.' But just like there's ownership in success, there has to be ownership in failure, too."
    One of the players who requested anonymity questioned the intent of such restrictions and said it contributes to the "cold" environment.
    "There are not many people around," the player said. "It's not like a dictatorship, but it's just kind of 'blah.' There is no emotion. It's just 'blah' and cold and no emotion, the way we practice and in games and the way everybody is talked to."
    According to two people who witnessed it, the offensive player -- whose own name is withheld to protect him from retribution -- responded that his opinion didn't matter because he knew it would not impact the coaches' approach in the second half.

In that game, the Vikings took more than two quarters to adjust to a relatively simple defensive adjustment the Lions had implemented that day. The incident highlights a season-long complaint from many offensive players: While defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin maintains an open-door policy, well-meaning suggestions to offensive coaches were rarely heeded.

Even as the Vikings offense went without a touchdown in six games this season, Robinson said "nothing happened" when he offered input. Robinson and other players said Childress often uses the phrase "non-negotiable" when speaking about his scheme, suggesting there is little room for adjustment. His audible package limited Johnson, known as one of the league's most knowledgeable game managers, and even casual observers can recognize that the offense has remained largely intact despite its failures this season.
    Is it possible that the atmosphere is so cold that it has taking the fun out of the game for the players?

Are they living in constant fear of retribution, that they carry that fear onto the field & they end up making mistakes or not executing properly because that fear occupies their minds more than what they are supposed to do?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Stonecoldet3 is offline Starter

Wow, that could explain the lack of "spark" shown this year in the offence.
    In
    my experiance, a team can not succeed in an enviroment that Brad Childress has created.
    Hopefully, he will correct this soon.
    This type of leadership can also have a back-fire in attracting Free Agents.
    Oh well Only time will tell.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted on Mon, Jan. 01, 2007

[size=13pt]Season needs to be flushed[/size]

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

After Sunday's rout, Childress said, "I believe we're going forward. I think we got some groundwork laid."
    Does this mean he now knows 85% of the play that don't work and 95% of the plays he shouldn't call on 3rd down.

That the team got worse, not better. That his play calling remained stagnant.
    I think this quote is more accurate than the first

"vikinggreg" wrote:
    After Sunday's rout, Childress said, "I believe we're going forward. I think we got some groundwork laid."
    Does this mean he now knows 85% of the play that don't work and 95% of the plays he shouldn't call on 3rd down.

That the team got worse, not better. That his play calling remained stagnant.
    I think this quote is more accurate than the first
    He's been saying things like that or we need a tweak here, minor adjustment there or execution is to blame, for the better part of the season.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12