Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Childress casts frosty aura

[size=13pt]Coach casts frosty aura[/size]

Vikings players offered mixed reviews in assessing their relationships with first-year coach Brad Childress, but most all acknowledged the aloofness he portrays in public carries over to the locker room.

By Kevin Seifert and Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune staff writers
    Last update: December 31, 2006 – 8:51 AM

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Childress casts frosty aura

Besides his playcalling from time to time, this scares me the MOST about the Chiller. I've always responded really well to coaches that are personable. They don't have to be my friend, but they have to act like human beings. Childress just seems like he's too cold to ever forge a good relationship with his players. Unfortunately, I think that's important in the NFL.

Look at the playoff teams. Herman Edwards, Tony Dungy, Mike Holmgren, Marty Schottenheimer, Brian Billick, Lovie Smith....they're al guys that demand respect and never have discipline incidents on their teams like Tice did, but they all forge good relationships with their players. All of their guys would go through walls for them.

Being a successful coach isn't about making your players do what you want them to, it's about making them WANT to do what you want them to do.

"Ltrey" wrote:
    Besides his playcalling from time to time, this scares me the MOST about the Chiller. I've always responded really well to coaches that are personable. They don't have to be my friend, but they have to act like human beings. Childress just seems like he's too cold to ever forge a good relationship with his players. Unfortunately, I think that's important in the NFL.

Look at the playoff teams. Herman Edwards, Tony Dungy, Mike Holmgren, Marty Schottenheimer, Brian Billick, Lovie Smith....they're al guys that demand respect and never have discipline incidents on their teams like Tice did, but they all forge good relationships with their players. All of their guys would go through walls for them.

Being a successful coach isn't about making your players do what you want them to, it's about making them WANT to do what you want them to do.
    Agreed, but some use different means to reach the same ends. And really, one can look at all of the different types of coaching styles (player's coach to disciplinarian) and find success and failure in them all. The closest comparison I can find to Childress's personality would be Bill Belichick and I think he has a pretty good track record. Personality aside, we should give Childress some time to learn from his mistakes and to put all of the pieces together. It just might work out in the end.
    Even babies know the difference.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

I found this on espn, thought it was funny:

[img width=65 height=90]http://espn-ak.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/coaches/30052.jpg[/img]

Brad Childress

Experience: None

· Coaching Profile
    · Fan Approval Rating

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=min

audioghost is offline Star Spokesman

"mnjamie" wrote:

[img width=65 height=90]http://espn-ak.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/coaches/30052.jpg[/img]

Brad Childress

· Coaching Profile
    · Fan Approval Rating

LOL OMG his approval rating is down to 9%....who woulda thought that after the first year that Vikes fans would hate this guy more than Tice lol....

He's got a mountain of shiz to ascend next year....hope he doesnt turn away fan favorites like Sharper next season....he wont have anybody in his corner...

A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

With the Vikings trailing 10-3 at halftime of the Oct. 8 game against the Lions, coaches asked a prominent offensive player what he had seen on the field. According to two people who witnessed it, the offensive player -- whose own name is withheld to protect him from retribution -- responded that his opinion didn't matter because he knew it would not impact the coaches' approach in the second half.
    In that game, the Vikings took more than two quarters to adjust to a relatively simple defensive adjustment the Lions had implemented that day.
    Childress often uses the phrase "non-negotiable" when speaking about his scheme

These quotes are making me worry more about next year, and leads me to believe Childress is no Bill Belichick.
    Belichick altered his scheme to expose our defense and pick us to pieces.
    Childress doesn't sound like he'll alter anything, just personnel.
    A team full of Childress yes men could look like the Stepford Wives.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"audioghost" wrote:
    "mnjamie" wrote:

Brad Childress

· Coaching Profile
    · Fan Approval Rating

LOL OMG his approval rating is down to 9%....who woulda thought that after the first year that Vikes fans would hate this guy more than Tice lol....

He's got a mountain of shiz to ascend next year....hope he doesnt turn away fan favorites like Sharper next season....he wont have anybody in his corner...
    Notice that the coach approval rating goes up and down based on whether we won that week or not.

I find it interesting that he came to bring discipline and we are #1 in penalties this year.
    (#1 meaning most penalized I assume?)

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "audioghost" wrote:
    "mnjamie" wrote:

Brad Childress

· Coaching Profile
    · Fan Approval Rating

Notice that the coach approval rating goes up and down based on whether we won that week or not.
    i wasnt at all satisfied even when we won games..we really didnt beat anybody in convincing fashion at all this season
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Freya is offline Team Alumni

I think what bothers me the most about this is his earlier statement about wanting to get inside the players heads. (or something to that effect)
    Is this what he was talking about?

Reading that the overall atmosphere can be described as "blah" can't be a good thing.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast