Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Childress

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Childress

Some other good points (not from me):

Childress: “I remember a great, great comment by John Lynch after we played them last year. On defense, all you ever try to do is to make the other team one-dimensional, and he said, ‘They already were one-dimensional.’ You know what? It was like a charge hit home. And we started to run the ball more.” Yeah, I’m not sure either. : :P

Childress on Peterson’s lack of success late in the season: “Well, he’s not a secret anymore.” As if any player (let alone superstar) in the NFL is a secret. Isn’t it Childress’ job to put Peterson in positions to make plays?
    :

Childress: (paraphrasing because I couldn’t find the exact quote again):
    I’ve always felt like if I get the chance to be a head coach, I want to do it my way because I might never get that chance again.
    -----------------------

Childress should be moved to a front-office or scouting position because…

1. The Vikings haven't won games with him as coach.
    Last 5 seasons: 9-7

8-8

9-7

(Enter Childress)
    6-10

8-8(with AP)
    Childress had more talent in the 6-10 year than Tice had in the 9-7 year

2. His winning percentage in 30 years of coaching is 56%.

3. The play-calling has been awful with him as coach.
    To those who say Childress isn’t the offensive coordinator so play-calling is not his responsibility.
    I say: find a way to get things done.
    He is the head coach.
    He decides who calls the plays.

4. He
    has not communicated effectively
    with players.
    Matt Birk, Antoine Winfield, Brad Johnson, Dwight Smith, Darren Sharper, Bobby Wade, Daunte Culpepper, Troy Williamson, Marcus Robinson, Jermaine Wiggins, Terrell Owens (while they were with the Eagles.)

5. He has made poor decisions about who to play and who not to.
    Adrian Peterson, Troy Williamson, Visanthe Shiancoe, Aundrae Allison, Bethel Johnson, Mewelde Moore, Sidney Rice, Cedric Griffin,

6. He has not made adjustments to maximize players' strengths and minimize their weaknesses.
    Adrian Peterson (can't block...), Matt Birk and Steve Hutchinson (few screens), Tarvaris Jackson (the entire offense and play-calling), Troy Williamson (send him deep).

7. He
    is not
    competitive enough.
    The "big picture" for the head coach is to win the game THAT WEEK.

His communication with the media and fans has been atrocious.
    Listen to him talk.

9. He appears unwilling to adjust or change.
    Childress responding to his apparent stubbornness and refusal to change despite the lack of offensive success: “It’s not just my personality, it’s a coach’s personality.”
    Yeah... no.

10. The Vikings are 0-5 against the Packers since he became head coach.
    We have lost 5 games in a row to the Packers since Brad Childress arrived.

11. Everything else with the Vikings organization is rolling.
    Ownership, Adrian Peterson, great drafts by Spielman and Co., talent at every position, fans.

V I K I N G S ! SKOL VIKINGS LET’S GO!

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Some other good points (not from me):

Childress: “I remember a great, great comment by John Lynch after we played them last year. On defense, all you ever try to do is to make the other team one-dimensional, and he said, ‘They already were one-dimensional.’ You know what? It was like a charge hit home. And we started to run the ball more.” Yeah, I’m not sure either. : :P

Childress on Peterson’s lack of success late in the season: “Well, he’s not a secret anymore.” As if any player (let alone superstar) in the NFL is a secret. Isn’t it Childress’ job to put Peterson in positions to make plays?
    :

Childress: (paraphrasing because I couldn’t find the exact quote again):
    I’ve always felt like if I get the chance to be a head coach, I want to do it my way because I might never get that chance again.
    -----------------------

Childress should be moved to a front-office or scouting position because…

1. The Vikings haven't won games with him as coach.
    Last 5 seasons: 9-7

8-8

9-7

(Enter Childress)
    6-10

8-8(with AP)
    Childress had more talent in the 6-10 year than Tice had in the 9-7 year

2. His winning percentage in 30 years of coaching is 56%.

3. The play-calling has been awful with him as coach.
    To those who say Childress isn’t the offensive coordinator so play-calling is not his responsibility.
    I say: find a way to get things done.
    He is the head coach.
    He decides who calls the plays.

4. He
    has not communicated effectively
    with players.
    Matt Birk, Antoine Winfield, Brad Johnson, Dwight Smith, Darren Sharper, Bobby Wade, Daunte Culpepper, Troy Williamson, Marcus Robinson, Jermaine Wiggins, Terrell Owens (while they were with the Eagles.)

5. He has made poor decisions about who to play and who not to.
    Adrian Peterson, Troy Williamson, Visanthe Shiancoe, Aundrae Allison, Bethel Johnson, Mewelde Moore, Sidney Rice, Cedric Griffin,

6. He has not made adjustments to maximize players' strengths and minimize their weaknesses.
    Adrian Peterson (can't block...), Matt Birk and Steve Hutchinson (few screens), Tarvaris Jackson (the entire offense and play-calling), Troy Williamson (send him deep).

7. He
    is not
    competitive enough.
    The "big picture" for the head coach is to win the game THAT WEEK.

His communication with the media and fans has been atrocious.
    Listen to him talk.

9. He appears unwilling to adjust or change.
    Childress responding to his apparent stubbornness and refusal to change despite the lack of offensive success: “It’s not just my personality, it’s a coach’s personality.”
    Yeah... no.

10. The Vikings are 0-5 against the Packers since he became head coach.
    We have lost 5 games in a row to the Packers since Brad Childress arrived.

11. Everything else with the Vikings organization is rolling.
    Ownership, Adrian Peterson, great drafts by Spielman and Co., talent at every position, fans.

V I K I N G S ! SKOL VIKINGS LET’S GO!

This is actually a pretty well laid out argument.
    There are a few questionable items, but overall a pretty good list.
    This coming from a guy who still hasn't made up his mind (neutral) about Childress.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

No worries, he'll be gone soon.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

You know you want Denny and Culpepper back !!!
    ;D ;D

Admit it !!

The first stage of recovery is getting over the denial !!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"C" wrote:
    You want childress fired? ???

"StillPurple" wrote:
    I have now officially lost confidence with Childress.

Consider if you will, these critiques of him, which I also believe:

- He inherited a 9-7 team and turned it into a 6-10 team.
    - The following year, he went 8-8, despite having Adrian Peterson
    - He has a worse overall record than Tice, even though Brad was able to bring in his own staff and Tice wasn't
    - We lost Wiggins and Brad Johnson due to Chilly
    - Marcus Robinson: "Childress had a total inability to communicate with the players.
    - Upon which, Robinson was cut (on Christmas Day - a nice touch !).
    - Total inability to run a simple screen pass, even though the O-linemen know how to do it. Total inability to throw screen passes to Peterson, even though screens are a staple of the west coast offense (!!).
    - Being outcoached (last year's Washington game, which killed our season)

You can say what you want about Brad. In his 30 years of coaching, his winning % is 56 %. His record as a Vikings head coach is far worse than Denny's and worse than Tice's even though Brad has had better talent (AP, Kevin Williams) than Tice did.

These things are becoming really evident to me. The whole Tarvaris thing is so evident to me, that this guy is a bust.
    This is the most intelligent and well thought through comment I’ve ever heard. There are no flaws in it whatsoever. I especially like the well thought through comment about how getting rid of Robinson, Wiggins, and Johnson makes Childress a bad coach (All of whom were older players on a rebuilding team who didn’t fit the system). Oh wait… NOT!!!
    As for the screen pass: How is the Packers’ defense playing a screen well Childress’ fault? The defense read screen and stayed on Peterson. The call didn’t work, perhaps this is the reason that we didn’t call a bunch of them.

I am not talking about just this last game. Look at the last 5 games AP has played in: he has been taken out of the game. They insist on running AP off-tackle. I personally don't remember screen passes to AP in the Packers game. Did I just miss those 5 screens we attempted to Peterson ?

My problem is exactly what you mentioned: whenever anyone questions Chilly, he talks about "the system". It is his go-to excuse that he constantly uses.

Football on any level is about getting the best players into the best situations and making adjustments constantly. Not about saying "the system will work [long term]". As economist John M. Keynes wrote, "in the long term, we are all dead".

BTW, the Chiefs are going to let Tyler Thigpen into some games at QB in the next 2-4 weeks. Was he also "too old for the system" ? (he is 25).

"StillPurple" wrote:
    I am not talking about just this last game. Look at the last 5 games AP has played in: he has been taken out of the game. They insist on running AP off-tackle. I personally don't remember screen passes to AP in the Packers game. Did I just miss those 5 screens we attempted to Peterson ?

My problem is exactly what you mentioned: whenever anyone questions Chilly, he talks about "the system". It is his go-to excuse that he constantly uses.

Football on any level is about getting the best players into the best situations and making adjustments constantly. Not about saying "the system will work [long term]". As economist John M. Keynes wrote, "in the long term, we are all dead".
    The reason you don't remember the screen pass in the Packers' game is it didn't work. It resulted in a loss of yards.

And while I love the fact that you quoted Keynes, it isn't applicable here. Childress is best at teaching his system, that is why it's his system. It doesn't make sense for him to teach players a system he himself doesn't know. And I would hope that Childress would be able to impliment his system before I die...if not that would be pretty depressing.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    You want childress fired? ???
    I do after the season if he fails to make the playoffs.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast