Seems to me that Childress used him pretty effectively last season considering he won rookie of the year AND broke the NFL single game TD record.
I think that Schottenheimer, Denny, or Fassel would all know how to get AP in space. They would also know to throw the screen a lot to him.
They also would know when to blitz and when not to:
- vs. a very experienced QB (Favre), you zone blitz
- vs. a QB with zero experience (Rodgers), you blitz
Chilly does the opposite.
Really, the guy is inexplicable !
He is also now 0-6 vs. the Packers, I think.
Can you name me one other NFL coach who would have drafted Tarvaris and then "crowned" him the starter ? Dungy, Belicheck, Holmgren ? Any of those guys ? The idea itself makes me laugh. Look at Childress's coaching buddy, Sean Peyton, who has Drew Brees as QB. No coach would have installed Tarvaris the way Chilly did.
I just know what will happen on Sunday:
- Continued runs by AP into the stacked box
- Tarvaris rolling out and running downfield (Sanders will destroy him)
- Bad playcallling all around.
The only reason I won't leave is that I have a rule that I never leave a Vikings game, no matter how bad it gets...