Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Childress: The 12 men on the field fiasco

Childress says the Redskins were substituting, and so the Vikings should have been allowed to as well.

If so, Childress should file an official protest with the NFL and ask for an apology. Otherwise, it's just blowing smoke.

Go Vikings!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"vikesfargo" wrote:
    Childress says the Redskins were substituting, and so the Vikings should have been allowed to as well.

If so, Childress should file an official protest with the NFL and ask for an apology. Otherwise, it's just blowing smoke.
    If he hasn't already, he intends to do just that.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"olson_10" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    My question is:
    Since when is a penalty challengeable?
    Evidently this is a legal challenge but why is that penalty okay when no other is?
    this is exactly what i said..im still pissed that chilly got schooled by a coach that doesnt even read the rulebook! (calling 2 straight TO's? what a senile old man)..well that senile old man is still 10 times smarter than our guy
    Not sure how he was schooled by Gibbs here.
    A Redskin staff member that works in the booth is the one that would have pointed this out to Gibbs to make the challenge.
    Gibbs had nothing to do with it except to pull a flag out of his pocket and throw it to the ground.

As far as Childress is concerned, he was trying to argue the Skins made personnel changes.
    If that was true under rule, the other team has to be allowed time to substitute as well.
    I don't know if there were subs to begin with but evidently Chilly has the proof and the truth will probably come out.
    First of all the challenge should have never been allowed in the first place.

funkyasflea is offline Pro-Bowler

is it just me...or is it only during Vikings games that these weird "borderline" calls happen that decide the game?
    One thin that I have noticed though, no Redskins fans are posting on this topic.....clearly they see a bit of BS surrounding the challenge....I am fed-up with NFL refs, the sad part is that that call may very well have obliterated our season even if it was incorrect.
    Even if the commissioner goes back and sees that the call was wrong all we can get is a "sorry".
    no do-overs, no second chances......the whole season washed down the drain over one bad call.....FED UP

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I just don't understand why the refs would not even listen to Chilldress

Childress was showing evidence or something and pleading his case but they would not even listen

It was a crucial call and I would have listened to both sides

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"V4L" wrote:

Childress was showing evidence or something and pleading his case but they would not even listen

I don't understand how they let the play be challenged.
    There was no flag and penalties are not challengeable.
    Why is it on this play?
    Not only that but they wouldn't even let the Vikings challenge the catch.
    If that play was a penalty then the play in essence never happened.
    therefore the catch should have been able to be reviewed.

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

It was funny watching chilly dawg with the big photos looking like Powell trying to sell WMDs in Iraq.
    As far as the Vikings being "targeted" by the refs unfairly or badly, people only seem to remember the bull calls against their team and nobody else's.
    The refs were just trying to do their job, and if they had made up their mind that they didn't believe the Redskins were trying to substitute AFTER they reviewed it maybe the rule is different from what we are interpreting it.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"ejmat" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:

I don't understand how they let the play be challenged.
    There was no flag and penalties are not challengeable.
    Why is it on this play?
    Not only that but they wouldn't even let the Vikings challenge the catch.
    If that play was a penalty then the play in essence never happened.
    therefore the catch should have been able to be reviewed.
    My guess is that 12 men is challengable because of this scenario:

Twelve men on the field is an obvious advantage to either team. So if the offense has an extra receiver out there, or the defense has an extra pass rusher or defensive back, it is a clear competitive advantage. So if that play ends up harming the team that is a man down (like a turnover, sack, TD, etc.) it is only fair that the coaches be able to point out the fact that the opposing team was playing with an extra player.

Now...that has nothing to do with last night, because our guy was two steps from being off the field and didn't affect the play, but the rule is the rule.

If Childress is right, then we got screwed and we can hand the refs another Vikings post-season.

Honestly though, we shouldn't have put ourselves in a position where we were at the mercy of the officials.

LEAD PIPE is offline Training Camp

I just wish he called the game from the start like they were 14 points down with 6 min left in the 4th quarter. Why can't he see how better they are. As far as the 12 men on the field goes I guess we will find out soon enough. If Childress was right we got hosed but it's not what lost the game for us. They were way to tight. They played much better during games when they had nothing to lose.

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"LEAD" wrote:
    I just wish he called the game from the start like they were 14 points down with 6 min left in the 4th quarter. Why can't he see how better they are. As far as the 12 men on the field goes I guess we will find out soon enough. If Childress was right we got hosed but it's not what lost the game for us. They were way to tight. They played much better during games when they had nothing to lose.
    No they played better against a Redskins team that was up, and playing not to lose the game.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast