Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: chester taylor on goal line situations

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    AD wasn't our kick returner.
    He was only in a few times when we needed a play, like in the chicago game.
    If we're in the same situation again, I'd like to see AD back there returning.
    No punts though.
    That, and his upright running style is just a recipe for getting jacked up.
    No AD wasn't our primary kick returner, but he did spark a lot of conversation when he was used.
    He probably still will get used on occassion, but I hope it is decreasing.

Here's his stats from last year (16 returns for 412 yards, 25.8 yd ave):

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...P/PeteAd01.htm

Kick & Punt Returns
    Glossary · ProBowl(*), 1st-team All-Pro(+), · CSV · PRE
    Punt Returns Kick Returns
    Year Age Tm Pos G GS Ret Yds TD Lng Y/R Rt Yds TD Lng Y/Rt APYd
    2007* 22 MIN RB 14 9 16 412 0 53 25.8 2021
    Career 14 9 16 412 0 53 25.8 2021
    AD WAS one of our primary kick returners. He split the majority of the returns with Allison, 20, T-Will, 17 & AD, 16. Only 4 returns separated all 3 of them. Plus he missed two games. Had he not missed those games or been wearing the brace upon his return, he could have seen more.

He did return some kicks with the brace, but I don't think it was immediately after he came back, so he lost those opportunities as well.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

"singersp" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    AD wasn't our kick returner.
    He was only in a few times when we needed a play, like in the chicago game.
    If we're in the same situation again, I'd like to see AD back there returning.
    No punts though.
    That, and his upright running style is just a recipe for getting jacked up.
    No AD wasn't our primary kick returner, but he did spark a lot of conversation when he was used.
    He probably still will get used on occassion, but I hope it is decreasing.

Here's his stats from last year (16 returns for 412 yards, 25.8 yd ave):

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...P/PeteAd01.htm

Kick & Punt Returns
    Glossary · ProBowl(*), 1st-team All-Pro(+), · CSV · PRE
    Punt Returns Kick Returns
    Year Age Tm Pos G GS Ret Yds TD Lng Y/R Rt Yds TD Lng Y/Rt APYd
    2007* 22 MIN RB 14 9 16 412 0 53 25.8 2021
    Career 14 9 16 412 0 53 25.8 2021
    AD WAS one of our primary kick returners. He split the majority of the returns with Allison, 20, T-Will, 17 & AD, 16. Only 4 returns separated all 3 of them. Plus he missed two games. Had he not missed those games or been wearing the brace upon his return, he could have seen more.

He did return some kicks with the brace, but I don't think it was immediately after he came back, so he lost those opportunities as well.
    Yes, if he wasn't hurt he would have had many more returns.
    He was definitely one of the main KR's last year.
    I don't believe that will be this year though.
    He is too vital to the offense and with the emurgence (sp?) of Allison, DR, etc. I don't think we'll need him to be back there...

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Take the first preseason game when he tried to dive in for the touchdown, that was the smartest thing to do but it too risky that way, he barley got in and he could of fumbled it. It took him 3 tries to get in, thats another reason not to play him in goal line situations.
    Interesting analysis, but don't you think that the OL had a little to do with the poor execution of that set of downs?

Another interesting factoid.
    A RB need only to control the ball as it crosses the line.
    If he stretches the ball across the line and then fumbles it, it is still a TD as he had possesion as it crossed the plane of the goal line.

As to who I would like to see in the backfield when we are in short yardage down there.......

a.
    I would like to see Tapeh in there for sure.
    Maybe another big bruiser like Dugan.
    Gives you a fine option at either powering it in or passing to them.

b.
    With the HBack/FB I would like to see AD of course because of his power but CT would serve as well.

c.
    I want to see two TE's along with the Fback/Hback/RB as well as Rice and Allison (kindof leaving BB out of this one).
    TE's would help get the push (overload one side) in case of run and Rice and Allison seem to be good possesion guys with decent ups (thats jumping ability for you non cool cats).

Kindof would look like this.......

Rice

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

AA

TE

QB

TE

FB

RB

As I alluded to above, I would motion one of the TE's to the other side and overload it a bit off the LG/RG and send the FB in off of LG/C with the RB picking his cutback lane or bouncing it out.

Rice

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

AA

TE

TE

FB QB

RB

We we can't get a 1 yard push out of that formation we need to quit.
    Surprised that nobody pointed this out, but Marr both of those formations have that little problem of being flagged for having too many men on the field you can't put twelve out there try again.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I would rather have Taylor carry the ball in goal line situations. Let him take the beating and getting piled on.
    Taylor might keep the D a little more honest as well.
    However, you need to put your best option for scoring especially on goal line situations.
    AD probably maximizes our chances of scoring moreso than Chester.
    there is a lot of contact on goal line situations and he will take a few dings, but it is football and we need to be able to count on him without worrying about him getting hurt.
    It really sucks to get to the goal line and come away with a FG.

Chester is not a bad option and I would expect to see him get his shots as well, just don't think he will be the primary option.

I would take AD off the kickoff returns though.
    Last year I was okay with it as we needed the spark and he gave it.
    This year I think he is too much of a centerpiece to be used in that role.
    I am not sure AD is the bigger threat than Chester at the goal line. Taylor runs very angry and can really get down low with power,which is important at the goal line. He is also a better blocker,which is important with the field compacted at the goal line and he also has more pass catching experience. Not to minimize Peterson but Taylor is no slouch. He is a force in short yardage situations.

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I would rather have Taylor carry the ball in goal line situations. Let him take the beating and getting piled on.
    However, you need to put your best option for scoring especially on goal line situations.
    there is a lot of contact on goal line situations and he will take a few dings, but it is football and we need to be able to count on him without worrying about him getting hurt.

Chester is not a bad option and I would expect to see him get his shots as well, just don't think he will be the primary option.

I am not sure AD is the bigger threat than Chester at the goal line. Taylor runs very angry and can really get down low with power,which is important at the goal line. He is also a better blocker,which is important with the field compacted at the goal line and he also has more pass catching experience. Not to minimize Peterson but Taylor is no slouch. He is a force in short yardage situations.
    I think on goaline it would be a great time to try some sort of split back formation to throw off the opponents D.
    With both CT and AP on the field at the same time there is just so many options you can do to make some confusion.
    Who will run it, is there going to be a pass, a QB sneak, will there be a toss to the outside instead of a run up the gut?
    I don't see it as an either or question.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Schutz" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

I think on goaline it would be a great time to try some sort of split back formation to throw off the opponents D.
    With both CT and AP on the field at the same time there is just so many options you can do to make some confusion.
    Who will run it, is there going to be a pass, a QB sneak, will there be a toss to the outside instead of a run up the gut?
    I don't see it as an either or question.
    Especially with Allen in at Fullback or TE

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"FuadFan" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Take the first preseason game when he tried to dive in for the touchdown, that was the smartest thing to do but it too risky that way, he barley got in and he could of fumbled it. It took him 3 tries to get in, thats another reason not to play him in goal line situations.
    Interesting analysis, but don't you think that the OL had a little to do with the poor execution of that set of downs?

If he stretches the ball across the line and then fumbles it, it is still a TD as he had possesion as it crossed the plane of the goal line.

As to who I would like to see in the backfield when we are in short yardage down there.......

a.

b.
    With the HBack/FB I would like to see AD of course because of his power but CT would serve as well.

c.
    I want to see two TE's along with the Fback/Hback/RB as well as Rice and Allison (kindof leaving BB out of this one).
    TE's would help get the push (overload one side) in case of run and Rice and Allison seem to be good possesion guys with decent ups (thats jumping ability for you non cool cats).

Rice

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

AA

TE

QB

TE

FB

RB

As I alluded to above, I would motion one of the TE's to the other side and overload it a bit off the LG/RG and send the FB in off of LG/C with the RB picking his cutback lane or bouncing it out.

Rice

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

AA

TE

TE

FB QB

RB

Surprised that nobody pointed this out, but Marr both of those formations have that little problem of being flagged for having too many men on the field you can't put twelve out there try again.
    Maybe he's suggesting the Bills should have tried it today while they were in Toronto, and see if the referee's and fans caught on.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"FuadFan" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

a.

b.

c.

Rice

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

AA

TE

QB

TE

FB

RB

Rice

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

AA

TE

TE

FB QB

RB

Damn, no wonder the Chiller kicked them back to me.
    :-[
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

My only comment is that I wish Chester would take just a bit better care of the ball.
    I know he's lost balls at the goal line the past two seasons, and it (possibly) cost us the Denver game last year.
    But as well as he's run (what, two 80+ yard TDs runs the last two years), I guess you've got to take the bad with the good.
    But good lord man, don't risk the chippy FG unless the game is on the line.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123