Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29
  1. #11
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    Re: chester taylor on goal line situations

    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Take the first preseason game when he tried to dive in for the touchdown, that was the smartest thing to do but it too risky that way, he barley got in and he could of fumbled it. It took him 3 tries to get in, thats another reason not to play him in goal line situations.
    Interesting analysis, but don't you think that the OL had a little to do with the poor execution of that set of downs?

    Another interesting factoid.
    A RB need only to control the ball as it crosses the line.
    If he stretches the ball across the line and then fumbles it, it is still a TD as he had possesion as it crossed the plane of the goal line.

    As to who I would like to see in the backfield when we are in short yardage down there.......

    a.
    I would like to see Tapeh in there for sure.
    Maybe another big bruiser like Dugan.
    Gives you a fine option at either powering it in or passing to them.

    b.
    With the HBack/FB I would like to see AD of course because of his power but CT would serve as well.

    c.
    I want to see two TE's along with the Fback/Hback/RB as well as Rice and Allison (kindof leaving BB out of this one).
    TE's would help get the push (overload one side) in case of run and Rice and Allison seem to be good possesion guys with decent ups (thats jumping ability for you non cool cats).

    Kindof would look like this.......

    Rice











    LT

    LG


    C

    RG

    RT









    AA













    TE






    QB






    TE























    FB






















    RB

    As I alluded to above, I would motion one of the TE's to the other side and overload it a bit off the LG/RG and send the FB in off of LG/C with the RB picking his cutback lane or bouncing it out.

    Rice











    LT

    LG


    C

    RG

    RT









    AA












    TE


    TE

    FB QB





















































    RB

    We we can't get a 1 yard push out of that formation we need to quit.
    Out of that formation I'd just fake the hand-off to AD, let AA cross the middle and have TJack do a bootleg to the right... he could make it to the end zone in his grandma's walker.
    That is what I was going to say. TJ would walk right into the endzone.

  2. #12
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: chester taylor on goal line situations

    "marstc09" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Take the first preseason game when he tried to dive in for the touchdown, that was the smartest thing to do but it too risky that way, he barley got in and he could of fumbled it. It took him 3 tries to get in, thats another reason not to play him in goal line situations.
    Interesting analysis, but don't you think that the OL had a little to do with the poor execution of that set of downs?

    Another interesting factoid.
    A RB need only to control the ball as it crosses the line.
    If he stretches the ball across the line and then fumbles it, it is still a TD as he had possesion as it crossed the plane of the goal line.

    As to who I would like to see in the backfield when we are in short yardage down there.......

    a.
    I would like to see Tapeh in there for sure.
    Maybe another big bruiser like Dugan.
    Gives you a fine option at either powering it in or passing to them.

    b.
    With the HBack/FB I would like to see AD of course because of his power but CT would serve as well.

    c.
    I want to see two TE's along with the Fback/Hback/RB as well as Rice and Allison (kindof leaving BB out of this one).
    TE's would help get the push (overload one side) in case of run and Rice and Allison seem to be good possesion guys with decent ups (thats jumping ability for you non cool cats).

    Kindof would look like this.......

    Rice











    LT

    LG


    C

    RG

    RT









    AA













    TE






    QB






    TE























    FB






















    RB

    As I alluded to above, I would motion one of the TE's to the other side and overload it a bit off the LG/RG and send the FB in off of LG/C with the RB picking his cutback lane or bouncing it out.

    Rice











    LT

    LG


    C

    RG

    RT









    AA












    TE


    TE

    FB QB





















































    RB

    We we can't get a 1 yard push out of that formation we need to quit.
    Out of that formation I'd just fake the hand-off to AD, let AA cross the middle and have TJack do a bootleg to the right... he could make it to the end zone in his grandma's walker.
    That is what I was going to say. TJ would walk right into the endzone.
    He probably could've got in on the Seachickens game but I like that he threw it to Tapeh as he would have taken a hit.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #13
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: chester taylor on goal line situations

    I would rather have Taylor carry the ball in goal line situations. Let him take the beating and getting piled on.

  4. #14
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: chester taylor on goal line situations

    I'd tend to agree with you.
    With everyone falling and tripping and hitting down there, i'm surprised injuries don't happen more often.
    However, a solid point has been made, that AD can jump better and pack more punch, so he can either a) hop over the pile, or b) move the pile
    better than CT.
    The only problem i see, is with his upright running stance, he may take quite a lick down on the goalline

    It was funny, i was playing football with some friends, wearing an AD jersey, and i juked some kid out of his shoes and then flat outran two others, and one guys like "slow it down Peterson", then the other guy said "nah, he's not peterson, he needs to run more upright"
    So its not just vikings fans that see this.
    Hopefully he'll work on that.

  5. #15
    Vikingswillrule is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3

    Re: chester taylor on goal line situations

    I think that you will see a mixture of the 2 backs in these situation.
    I'm personally not a fan of bringing in a back fresh off the bench just for the situation because I feel its a bigger fumble risk.

  6. #16
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,862

    Re: chester taylor on goal line situations

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I would rather have Taylor carry the ball in goal line situations. Let him take the beating and getting piled on.
    Taylor might keep the D a little more honest as well.
    However, you need to put your best option for scoring especially on goal line situations.
    AD probably maximizes our chances of scoring moreso than Chester.
    there is a lot of contact on goal line situations and he will take a few dings, but it is football and we need to be able to count on him without worrying about him getting hurt.
    It really sucks to get to the goal line and come away with a FG.

    Chester is not a bad option and I would expect to see him get his shots as well, just don't think he will be the primary option.

    I would take AD off the kickoff returns though.
    Last year I was okay with it as we needed the spark and he gave it.
    This year I think he is too much of a centerpiece to be used in that role.

  7. #17
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: chester taylor on goal line situations

    AD wasn't our kick returner.
    He was only in a few times when we needed a play, like in the chicago game.
    If we're in the same situation again, I'd like to see AD back there returning.
    No punts though.
    That, and his upright running style is just a recipe for getting jacked up.

  8. #18
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,862

    Re: chester taylor on goal line situations

    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    AD wasn't our kick returner.
    He was only in a few times when we needed a play, like in the chicago game.
    If we're in the same situation again, I'd like to see AD back there returning.
    No punts though.
    That, and his upright running style is just a recipe for getting jacked up.
    No AD wasn't our primary kick returner, but he did spark a lot of conversation when he was used.
    He probably still will get used on occassion, but I hope it is decreasing.

    Here's his stats from last year (16 returns for 412 yards, 25.8 yd ave):

    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...P/PeteAd01.htm

    Kick & Punt Returns
    Glossary · ProBowl(*), 1st-team All-Pro(+), · CSV · PRE
    Punt Returns Kick Returns
    Year Age Tm Pos G GS Ret Yds TD Lng Y/R Rt Yds TD Lng Y/Rt APYd
    2007* 22 MIN RB 14 9 16 412 0 53 25.8 2021
    Career 14 9 16 412 0 53 25.8 2021

  9. #19
    Yfz01 is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    606

    Re: chester taylor on goal line situations

    Why the hell would we have AA in instead of Berrian?
    We paid all that money to not allow Berrian to play when we get near the endzone?
    Honestly if we only have 1 receiver i want it to be Rice because of his height but if we have two it needs to be Berrian IMO.

  10. #20
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,862

    Re: chester taylor on goal line situations

    "Yfz01" wrote:
    Why the hell would we have AA in instead of Berrian?
    We paid all that money to not allow Berrian to play when we get near the endzone?
    Honestly if we only have 1 receiver i want it to be Rice because of his height but if we have two it needs to be Berrian IMO.
    It will be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Goal Line Blitz... THIS IS NOT AN AD!
    By Formo in forum Fantasy Football Talk
    Replies: 428
    Last Post: 01-14-2011, 12:51 AM
  2. Goal Line Ineptness
    By Suick in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-09-2010, 10:06 PM
  3. Taking care of business at the goal line a must
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-24-2005, 02:38 PM
  4. how about that tony fisher fumble at goal line...
    By vikingtim in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-14-2004, 07:44 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •