Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    duvaldomo is offline Coach

chester taylor on goal line situations

I dont think its safe to play chester taylor on goal line situations because he always holds the ball out infront of him. Thats a easy way to fumble. Take the first preseason game when he tried to dive in for the touchdown, that was the smartest thing to do but it too risky that way, he barley got in and he could of fumbled it. It took him 3 tries to get in, thats another reason not to play him in goal line situations. Forget about this year talk last year against denver when he tried to put the ball out in front of him and it was a touchback. Its way too risky the way he do it. I dont think he will be getting the ball much in goal line anyways, either hand it to the FB or let AP run it in. Hell u can use Jackson to sneak it in.

Just had to get that off my chest, sorry for wasting your time
    :P

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

Re: chester taylor on goal line situations

Time not wasted. Actually, that's an interesting observation. In any case I'm fairly certain that you'll see AD in there most of the time on goalline situations. Quite simply, he can jump higher and has more strength to push the line than Chester.

Plus I have no doubt that Childress wants to make sure to bump everyone with AD's fantasy stats.

ragz is offline GM

well i agree with you cuz chester has had a problem with fumbling, especially near the goalline in his time with the vikes.
    but i just get this feeling that they like him in that role cuz he's smaller and can sneak through cracks easier than AD and is harder for d-lineman to see.
    now i dont know if this is true at all, i'm just going off of how they treated goaline and short situations last year.
    either way we gotta be more consistent punching balls into the end zone cuz in childress's tenure we haven't been good.
    alot of last year was big plays or settle for field goals.
    we got some good redzone targets in the pass game now but who they have in the backfield inside the ten should be interesting.
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

If you gave me the choice between Chester Taylor and Adrian Peterson to punch through a line... i would pick AD.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Take the first preseason game when he tried to dive in for the touchdown, that was the smartest thing to do but it too risky that way, he barley got in and he could of fumbled it. It took him 3 tries to get in, thats another reason not to play him in goal line situations.
    Interesting analysis, but don't you think that the OL had a little to do with the poor execution of that set of downs?

Another interesting factoid.
    A RB need only to control the ball as it crosses the line.
    If he stretches the ball across the line and then fumbles it, it is still a TD as he had possesion as it crossed the plane of the goal line.

As to who I would like to see in the backfield when we are in short yardage down there.......

a.
    I would like to see Tapeh in there for sure.
    Maybe another big bruiser like Dugan.
    Gives you a fine option at either powering it in or passing to them.

b.
    With the HBack/FB I would like to see AD of course because of his power but CT would serve as well.

c.
    I want to see two TE's along with the Fback/Hback/RB as well as Rice and Allison (kindof leaving BB out of this one).
    TE's would help get the push (overload one side) in case of run and Rice and Allison seem to be good possesion guys with decent ups (thats jumping ability for you non cool cats).

Kindof would look like this.......

Rice

LT
    LG

C

RG
    RT

AA

TE

QB

TE

FB

RB

As I alluded to above, I would motion one of the TE's to the other side and overload it a bit off the LG/RG and send the FB in off of LG/C with the RB picking his cutback lane or bouncing it out.

Rice

LT
    LG

C

RG
    RT

AA

TE

TE

FB QB

RB

We we can't get a 1 yard push out of that formation we need to quit.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Take the first preseason game when he tried to dive in for the touchdown, that was the smartest thing to do but it too risky that way, he barley got in and he could of fumbled it. It took him 3 tries to get in, thats another reason not to play him in goal line situations.
    Interesting analysis, but don't you think that the OL had a little to do with the poor execution of that set of downs?

If he stretches the ball across the line and then fumbles it, it is still a TD as he had possesion as it crossed the plane of the goal line.

As to who I would like to see in the backfield when we are in short yardage down there.......

a.

b.
    With the HBack/FB I would like to see AD of course because of his power but CT would serve as well.

c.
    I want to see two TE's along with the Fback/Hback/RB as well as Rice and Allison (kindof leaving BB out of this one).
    TE's would help get the push (overload one side) in case of run and Rice and Allison seem to be good possesion guys with decent ups (thats jumping ability for you non cool cats).

Rice

LT
    LG

C

RG
    RT

AA

TE

QB

TE

FB

RB

As I alluded to above, I would motion one of the TE's to the other side and overload it a bit off the LG/RG and send the FB in off of LG/C with the RB picking his cutback lane or bouncing it out.

Rice

LT
    LG

C

RG
    RT

AA

TE

TE

FB QB

RB

Out of that formation I'd just fake the hand-off to AD, let AA cross the middle and have TJack do a bootleg to the right... he could make it to the end zone in his grandma's walker.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:

a.

b.

c.

Rice

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

AA

TE

QB

TE

FB

RB

Rice

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

AA

TE

TE

FB QB

RB

How about the Strong Power I?

KSauce
    T

G
    C
    G
    T
    SHI

^
    Rice

Q

|

AA

<----------------------

Dugan

Tapeh

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

a.

b.

c.

Rice

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

AA

TE

QB

TE

FB

RB

Rice

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

AA

TE

TE

FB QB

RB

How about the Strong Power I?

KSauce

T

G

C

G

T
    SHI

^
    Rice

Q

|

AA

<----------------------

Dugan

Tapeh
    I could go with that.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

a.

b.

c.

Rice

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

AA

TE

QB

TE

FB

RB

Rice

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

AA

TE

TE

FB QB

RB

Out of that formation I'd just fake the hand-off to AD, let AA cross the middle and have TJack do a bootleg to the right... he could make it to the end zone in his grandma's walker.
    That would work as well.
    I just stuck with the running option as it is what the originator of the thread was concerned about.

Lots of options out of the set both at the Goal Line but in the open field as well.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"The" wrote:
    ...Plus I have no doubt that Childress wants to make sure to bump everyone with AD's fantasy stats.
    Yes, he can't stand being told what to do....and the last thing he needs is the FF players being a fan of his.
    Screw them over at the goal.
    It's the only way to insure a proper mix of 'fire childress' comments.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast