Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Our drafting/free agent acquisition next year is critical. If we blow it again, we are going to suck for much longer than any fan need endure. The lions of the North? Please get a GM and give Spielman the boot cause he's worn out his welcome.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by battleaxe4cheese View Post
    Our drafting/free agent acquisition next year is critical. If we blow it again, we are going to suck for much longer than any fan need endure. The lions of the North? Please get a GM and give Spielman the boot cause he's worn out his welcome.
    As long as we have Rick Spielman as our VP of Player Personnel, you can bet that we will blow it once again. His drafting skills are laughable, possibly the worst in the league.

Our ownership's inability to recognize this is almost as equally as laughable.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Purple_Jesus is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    As long as we have Rick Spielman as our VP of Player Personnel, you can bet that we will blow it once again. His drafting skills are laughable, possibly the worst in the league.

Our ownership's inability to recognize this is almost as equally as laughable.
    So many people talk bad about our front office. Correct me if I'm wrong, they brought us Harvin, Rudolph and PETERSON didn't they? Granted, it's not as good as New England, Green Bay, or maybe Shittsburgh, but you can't say it's the worst in the league either. Who has Cleveland drafted lately? Or Miami for that matter?

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple_Jesus View Post
    So many people talk bad about our front office. Correct me if I'm wrong, they brought us Harvin, Rudolph and PETERSON didn't they? Granted, it's not as good as New England, Green Bay, or maybe Shittsburgh, but you can't say it's the worst in the league either. Who has Cleveland drafted lately? Or Miami for that matter?
    Really?

You're saying drafting the best RB, the best WR and the best TE available in the draft makes them good at what they do?

Outside of the first two rounds (the rather easy rounds), they have missed far more often than not.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Lets review, since 2007 when Speilman took over from Foley:

2007:

1 (7) Adrian Peterson Running Back Oklahoma
    2 (44) Sidney Rice Wide Receiver South Carolina
    3 (72) Marcus McCauley Cornerback Fresno State

4 (102) Brian Robison Defensive End Texas
    5 (146) Aundrae Allison Wide Receiver East Carolina
    6 (176) Rufus Alexander Linebacker Oklahoma
    7 (217) Tyler Thigpen Quarterback Coastal Carolina
    7 (233) Chandler Williams Wide Receiver Florida International

2008:
    2 12 43 Tyrell Johnson S 6-0 198 Arkansas State From Panthers via Eagles
    5 2 137 John David Booty QB 6-3 213 USC From Rams via Packers
    5 17 152 Letroy Guion DT 6-4 295 Florida State From Eagles
    6 21 187 John Sullivan C 6-4 284 Notre Dame From Buccaneers via Chiefs
    6 27 193 Jaymar Johnson WR 6-0 176 Jackson State From Jaguars

2009:
    1 22 22 Percy Harvin WR 5-11 192 Florida
    2 22 54 Phil Loadholt OT 6-8 332 Oklahoma
    3 22 86 Asher Allen CB 5-9 194 Georgia

5 14 150 Jasper Brinkley LB 6-2 252 South Carolina From Redskins
    7 22 231 Jamarca Sanford S 5-10 214 Ole Miss

And it's too early to really say about the 2010 and on drafts.

So out of the 3 years indicated, we got harvin and AP, Rice was a good player, when healthy, but that pick doesn't help us at all right now. Robison has been alright, Johnson has been bad, Guion and Sullivan have been just as bad. Brinkley played decently as a backup, but is hurt, Sanford, Allen and Loadholt all look like wasted picks.

So no, we can't draft.

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Really?

You're saying drafting the best RB, the best WR and the best TE available in the draft makes them good at what they do?

Outside of the first two rounds (the rather easy rounds), they have missed far more often than not.

And that says it all in a nutshell..... Thanks
    None

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple_Jesus View Post

I find it funny that those are the only names you can use to support your claim... 3 names from 6 years of drafting. I could go on, but I don't really need to support my argument, the facts are as plain as day.

Harvin and Peterson were gimme's... and what has Rudolph done? Nothing. What about OL-men? What about secondary? Bottom line, if we did a good job drafting, we wouldn't be 2-11 and scrambling for FA's in the offseason.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    A GM would wield enough power to keep the Wilfs from playing Jerry Jones. That power structure doesn't work for Jones and it wont work here either.
    The biggest problem right now regarding finding a talented GM is the lack of organizational stability,eg. no stadium.
    What GM would want to come to this team?
    Get a stadium then a GM might come here. Unless the Wilfs can't keep their hands off football decisions.

briannord is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    I find it funny that those are the only names you can use to support your claim... 3 names from 6 years of drafting. I could go on, but I don't really need to support my argument, the facts are as plain as day.

Harvin and Peterson were gimme's... and what has Rudolph done? Nothing. What about OL-men? What about secondary? Bottom line, if we did a good job drafting, we wouldn't be 2-11 and scrambling for FA's in the offseason.
    Rudolph so far cant get open, shows no speed or quickness, Just a couple of great catches. Hopefully he can learn to run better routes or get open better. Our drafting has been fairly poor, If you cant see that every sunday then thats pretty sad. How we dont have a GM by now is beyond me.

Edit: I meant to reply to the quote that you had in your post, Im agreeing with you

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Yes the drafting has sucked after the first round in the Wilf era and he is running out of the core players from the McCombs era that have been the nucleus of the team since he bought it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast