Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Chase Johnson - A big man to fill hole that McKinnie could leave

"Mr-holland" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:
    But what isn't good in all this is that you lose your consistency of your O-line. 2 games wouldn't hurt that but i don't think the Chase could come in and directly play a good game, that's why perhaps Hicks could get the nod...
    Yeah Hicks may get the nod but I would like to see Chase in action and get some that on-the field experience under his belt. If McKinnie is suspended, found guilty and all that stuff his ending time may be sooner than we expect and Chase may be called on quickly.

Either way I hope the best option for LT plays, Chase's progress in Camp and Preseason will determine wether he gets the nod. We are facing some tuff DE's early on it will be challenge for whoever.

By the way like someone else said Hicks has never really been that great and his play has been at Gaurd, will Chase's play be any different or possibly better?
    That's the big problem to me, He hasn't played the game...
    Plus i'm wondering how the reps are divided between the players at LT in camp etc
    I'm sure the staff will make the right decision and hopefully it's only for 2 games.
    Which brings me back to my primary point on Cook and the coaching staff with respect to my comfort level with Chase stepping in.

Cook played C in college, never played at the NFL level at all and started last year.
    Again, he had issues but so did Big Mac.

Why wouldn't we think that Chase, who played LT in college, has been on the roster for a year and had a solid year of NFL coaching and now is going into his second year, couldn't come in and provide depth with little or not drop off from what we saw of McKinnie?

I for one have nothing but comfort and think he would/will do a fine job (with a little TE/Hutch help) when called upon.
    But howmany times have we all complained about Cook especially in his first year and a couple of times in his second?
    I agree with you that Chase has the advantage he played LT in college and is a year with us, but a year not playing is a year not learning. Not that i mean he hasn't progressed in any way but IMO the best way to learn is to play. I think that if we start Chase and he plays good and our FO is consistent McKinnie shouldn't come in anymore...

I don't know who i'm more comfortable with, Hicks who has the NFL experience and who has been longer in the nfl but we know of he is not all that good. Or we go for a young 'talented' LT who played the position in college but has no NFL experience.
    If I remember correctly the problem I had with Cook was the false starts. That may be due to him not playing Center. IMO Chase should not have that problem.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    [quote author=Mr-holland link=topic=45555.msg790801#msg790801 date=1213123326]
    But what isn't good in all this is that you lose your consistency of your O-line. 2 games wouldn't hurt that but i don't think the Chase could come in and directly play a good game, that's why perhaps Hicks could get the nod...
    Yeah Hicks may get the nod but I would like to see Chase in action and get some that on-the field experience under his belt. If McKinnie is suspended, found guilty and all that stuff his ending time may be sooner than we expect and Chase may be called on quickly.

Either way I hope the best option for LT plays, Chase's progress in Camp and Preseason will determine wether he gets the nod. We are facing some tuff DE's early on it will be challenge for whoever.

By the way like someone else said Hicks has never really been that great and his play has been at Gaurd, will Chase's play be any different or possibly better?
    That's the big problem to me, He hasn't played the game...
    Plus i'm wondering how the reps are divided between the players at LT in camp etc
    I'm sure the staff will make the right decision and hopefully it's only for 2 games.
    Which brings me back to my primary point on Cook and the coaching staff with respect to my comfort level with Chase stepping in.

Cook played C in college, never played at the NFL level at all and started last year.
    Again, he had issues but so did Big Mac.

Why wouldn't we think that Chase, who played LT in college, has been on the roster for a year and had a solid year of NFL coaching and now is going into his second year, couldn't come in and provide depth with little or not drop off from what we saw of McKinnie?

I for one have nothing but comfort and think he would/will do a fine job (with a little TE/Hutch help) when called upon.
    But howmany times have we all complained about Cook especially in his first year and a couple of times in his second?
    I agree with you that Chase has the advantage he played LT in college and is a year with us, but a year not playing is a year not learning. Not that i mean he hasn't progressed in any way but IMO the best way to learn is to play. I think that if we start Chase and he plays good and our FO is consistent McKinnie shouldn't come in anymore...

I don't know who i'm more comfortable with, Hicks who has the NFL experience and who has been longer in the nfl but we know of he is not all that good. Or we go for a young 'talented' LT who played the position in college but has no NFL experience.
    If I remember correctly the problem I had with Cook was the false starts. That may be do to him not playing Center. IMO Chase should not have that problem.
    [/quote]

Cook was thrown to the wolves at first, but he survived and always showed improvement.
    I think he will show that he now belongs at he RT position.
    To be honest, I'm kinda suprised how well he ended up jelling into the position in only a couple of seasons.....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"V" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    [quote author=mountainviking link=topic=45555.msg791566#msg791566 date=1213285954]
    Well, the way I see the facts...we have an incredible starting RB and a no.2 guy that could start for most teams!
    A large part of our Rushing success goes to those guys, but, of course they can't do it on their own, and our OL does deserve some credit there too.
    On the other hand, we have a young inexperienced QB, young and/or questionable WRs, and a very highly paid but poor pass blocking OL.
    Sure, its not all any one of their faults, its all of them together.
    We saw way too many drops last year, way too many missed throws (or worse, huck-ups...kind of like a hicup, but worse, and often the result of missed blocks/QB pressures) and many, many, many blown blocks.
    Our OTs get burnt too often.
    Shank missed some pickups, AP missed plenty, even Birk missed some calls, or failed to adjust (help out the side that needed it).

IMHO, the OL in the passing game is just as guilty as our QBs, WRs, TEs, etc...they'll either make each other look much better or just as bad this year depending mostly on our youths development and whether the OL finally "gels."
    To say the OL doesn't deserve a fair share of the blame when they allowed 38 sacks for a 20th ranking (in other words only 12 teams allowed more) doesn't seem right to me!
    TJack got sacked less, cuz he started running for about 2.5 first downs per game when the coverage was tight downfield...so we can't blame him for most of those sacks.

In short, I think the entire offense's execution hindered the playcalling last year.
    I am hoping that the development of our young, new MN Vikings will allow us to finally see, a Kick A$S Offense this year!!!
    Compared to our QBs and WRs, a 20th ranking is pretty good. I think you would be hard pressed to name 12 WR corps and 12 QBs that were worse.
    Not good enough to win playoff games though...or win the Super Bowl in a few years (or less).
    You don't think our OL is good enough to win playoff games? ???

LT: Bryant McKinnie LT: Bryant McKinnie LG: Chris Liwinski LG: Steve Hutchinson C: Matt Birk C: Matt Birk RG: David Dixon RG: Anthoney Herrera RT: Adam Goldberg RT: Ryan Cook
    NOT in today's NFL...and I'm guessing, but I doubt that the previous line was 20th.
    The previous line was 24th, allowing 46 sacks.
    [/quote]
    So, the previous line won how many games?
    ONE?
    That still wouldn't be acceptable.
    I'm also guessing that they made less money than McKinnie does now (including McKinnie, who was probably still playing on his rookie contract).
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Well, the way I see the facts...we have an incredible starting RB and a no.2 guy that could start for most teams!
    A large part of our Rushing success goes to those guys, but, of course they can't do it on their own, and our OL does deserve some credit there too.
    On the other hand, we have a young inexperienced QB, young and/or questionable WRs, and a very highly paid but poor pass blocking OL.
    We saw way too many drops last year, way too many missed throws (or worse, huck-ups...kind of like a hicup, but worse, and often the result of missed blocks/QB pressures) and many, many, many blown blocks.
    Shank missed some pickups, AP missed plenty, even Birk missed some calls, or failed to adjust (help out the side that needed it).

IMHO, the OL in the passing game is just as guilty as our QBs, WRs, TEs, etc...they'll either make each other look much better or just as bad this year depending mostly on our youths development and whether the OL finally "gels."
    To say the OL doesn't deserve a fair share of the blame when they allowed 38 sacks for a 20th ranking (in other words only 12 teams allowed more) doesn't seem right to me!
    TJack got sacked less, cuz he started running for about 2.5 first downs per game when the coverage was tight downfield...so we can't blame him for most of those sacks.

In short, I think the entire offense's execution hindered the playcalling last year.
    I am hoping that the development of our young, new MN Vikings will allow us to finally see, a Kick A$S Offense this year!!!
    Great post Mountain your saving me time.

IMO, after all is said and done the offensive line will either make or break our season, last year they showed serious improvement from Childress's first year, I expect to be even better this season. IMO Cook is literally a beast, a guy with that size that can really move is a dangerous man in the run game, a true road grader, its good to know we are nearly as good off the Left side as the Right side with the Herrera and Cook combo. This will be their first full offseason working hand in hand, should do wonders. With new targets at WR and with the most explosive RB in the NFL the sky is the limit with this offense, in the end it all comes down to wether the Oline gives our QB a pocket and creates running lanes for our RB's.

The Giants were a perfect example of this last year, creating phenominal pass protection for Eli giving him that comfort level and confidence. Everybody wondering "Wow Eli is playing really good", sure he was, he hardly got touched in the playoff run. They also ran the ball well.

"C" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    I still laugh at you guys everytime i hear how replaceable Mac is. I think he can go and be a starting LT on 2/3rds of the teams out there. It must be something about Viking fans. We get great/rare talents and we complain about them not being good enough. We got Moss and ran him out of town because " he could be replace". I can't wait until I start hearing the calls to run AD out of town because I know they are coming!

Mac is a top 10 LT in this league. Does he struggle against the speed rush? Sometimes just like every LT. There is no Lt that can say they don't get beat....If you want Mac to improve....Look to the QB position. When we aren't constantly getting killed with exotic packages( read 8- 9 in the box) and we have a Qb that will make the throws he is expeccted to make on a consistant basis then our zone blocking scheme will improve. The calls for "lets ship out Mac and keep TJ are absurd". If the entire Offense underperformed last year then lets give them a chance to rectify this situation. However, loosing a 10 ten LT and possible the best RUN BLOCKING LT in the league when we are a RUN FIRST team tells me that you need to get back to playing madden and leave the football talk for the big boys. He is dominant with the run, allow him to improve his pass blocking with just 3 season under a new system and playing with 4 different QBs in 2 years. Playing Lt is almost like being a body guard. You have to have a sense of what the Qb is goin to do to evade you and the defender. Good thing our Qb had no problems making quick descisions last year
    :.
    As TJ improves defefnse will have to be less agressive stopping the run and our OLine will be able to command the trenches better. What can't you guys understand about this simple equation?

He signed a 7 year 40+ million dollar contract in 2006. The team would owe him appx 15 million in guareentee money if he is cut or traded.
    He's not going anywhere! He
    How's the weather up there on your pedestal?

I've never said one bad thing about B-Mac... so please don't throw your uneducated, mass-generalizations around of "us viking fans"... I personally hope he stays a Viking and retires a Viking.
    I want to press the ignore button for the first time since I have been here. I think I won't just to hear the babbling about how "WE" are going to run more players out of Minnesota.
    :

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    I still laugh at you guys everytime i hear how replaceable Mac is. I think he can go and be a starting LT on 2/3rds of the teams out there. It must be something about Viking fans. We get great/rare talents and we complain about them not being good enough. We got Moss and ran him out of town because " he could be replace". I can't wait until I start hearing the calls to run AD out of town because I know they are coming!

Mac is a top 10 LT in this league. Does he struggle against the speed rush? Sometimes just like every LT. There is no Lt that can say they don't get beat....If you want Mac to improve....Look to the QB position. When we aren't constantly getting killed with exotic packages( read 8- 9 in the box) and we have a Qb that will make the throws he is expeccted to make on a consistant basis then our zone blocking scheme will improve. The calls for "lets ship out Mac and keep TJ are absurd". If the entire Offense underperformed last year then lets give them a chance to rectify this situation. However, loosing a 10 ten LT and possible the best RUN BLOCKING LT in the league when we are a RUN FIRST team tells me that you need to get back to playing madden and leave the football talk for the big boys. He is dominant with the run, allow him to improve his pass blocking with just 3 season under a new system and playing with 4 different QBs in 2 years. Playing Lt is almost like being a body guard. You have to have a sense of what the Qb is goin to do to evade you and the defender. Good thing our Qb had no problems making quick descisions last year
    :.
    As TJ improves defefnse will have to be less agressive stopping the run and our OLine will be able to command the trenches better. What can't you guys understand about this simple equation?

He signed a 7 year 40+ million dollar contract in 2006. The team would owe him appx 15 million in guareentee money if he is cut or traded.
    He's not going anywhere! He
    Wow, First off I'd like to say that I agree that Mac is a solid Tackle, how well will he perform against top flight DE's in the playoffs, I don't know but I do know he has had great games and been the dominating force that was expected of him. Untill he shows that dominance on a consitent basis he's considered inconsistent. McKinnie is a very rare talent, his height, weight, wing span all unbalievable, add to the fact he never gave up a sack in college and I thought he was a gift.

The only person that ran Moss out of town was Moss himself, all the things he did finally lead up to the team going in a different direction. He brought it on himself and I was pissed about it and was never in favor of trading him nor was the majority of Viking fans. IMO this is completely illusional comparison.

There is no way I'm going to look at the QB position in order to help Big Mac. Mac is 100% responsible for what he does on and off the field and what comes out of his mouth, like the spit that ended up on a bouncers face. We had argueable the best QB in the NFL while big Mac was here and his play was the same. Very very poor arguement.

Find whoever is calling for McKinnie to be shipped out, because its not happening. I've come to the conculsion that when you read something about McKinnie that you don't like you go on wild benges and create false acusations that fans are yelling for him to be cut. IMO its best to be FULLY HONEST about the situation and understand where fans are coming from when it comes to McKinnie.

IMO there isn't a fan on this website that hasn't acknowldeged McKinnie for his superiour run blocking ability, this is proven and NOBODY is argueing it.

I wouldn't say he isn't going anywhere, Childress said himself "We may face some tuff decisions down the road". We have been very consistent when it comes to off the field issues. Those type of guys do not last long and this wouldn't be McKinnies first time in trouble. A gol 'darnit shame if you ask me, I felt he had his best year last year in run and pass blocking. Hopefully the charges are false and he plays week 1 but I doubt it.

By the way McKinnie is replaceable, maybe not at the moment but he would be replaced with possibly a better player, just like Matt Birk will. Our staff is commited to taking care of the fronts and they will.
    That's my point, The calls for his head neglect that who ever we bring in may be sligtly better at pass blocking but a lot worst at run blocking. It' will be taking a step backwards.

I go back to your post about Tj not making the Oline's job harder and it's blatantly ignorant. If you have a Qb that cannot deliver the ball to beat the cover 3, Defensive Co. are going to key on that. Why do you think the skins ran a modified 4-6 vs us week 16? Do you thinnk it was because the Oline couldn't block? Wtf? It's because Tj could not make the nessary reads. I can't belive it's June and we are still having this discussion. It's a chicken and the egg situation but the cause of the original problem is clear. Until our Qb can play well enough to get defenses to back off from bring 7-8 on every play (to stop the run and rattle his nerve) our Oline will be under duress the entire game. You cannot ask 5(sometime 6) to block 7-8 on every play.

Week 15
    http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80537797
    1:46 mark.

The line gives TJ the blocking he needs. He as a young Qb, steps up into his blockers instead of rolling out.
    these are the kinds of descisions that hurt your team. So while you and Marr(who argeed with your comment on page 4
    >) think that you can't connect our QBS'(plural) poor decisions to the additional pressure the entire Oline faced last year, i will respectfully have to disagree. We will be a much better OLine when our QB play improves. Teams are not going to be able to bring the pressure needed to beat our Oline on a constistant basis when TJ learns to make sounder decisions. I hope it's this season so I can here all of the comments about the line"really gelling" and "finnaly giving TJ time to throw".
    ;D to keep me from being a negative nancy
    :
    Not sure what video you are watching but McKinnie got pushed right into TJ. Sure TJ could of rolled to the right but if he went to the left it would have been a sack. McKinnie was getting abused. Yes he made a bad decision to throw but I saw a WR wide open and if he did not have McKinnie in his face he would of threw a nice pass for a eventually TD.

Chazz is offline Coordinator

"V" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    The line gives TJ the blocking he needs. He as a young Qb, steps up into his blockers instead of rolling out.
    these are the kinds of descisions that hurt your team.
    So while you and Marr(who argeed with your comment on page 4
    >) think that you can't connect our QBS'(plural) poor decisions to the additional pressure the entire Oline faced last year, i will respectfully have to disagree. We will be a much better OLine when our QB play improves. Teams are not going to be able to bring the pressure needed to beat our Oline on a constistant basis when TJ learns to make sounder decisions. I hope it's this season so I can here all of the comments about the line"really gelling" and "finnaly giving TJ time to throw".
    :
    ??? Weren't you one of the ones who claimed he doesn't step into the pocket & takes off running instead?

If the line gives T-Jack all the time he needs & it's all T-Jacks fault because he's young, doesn't make the reads quick enough & doesn't roll out, why was it our veteran QB's (Bollinger & Holcombe) who do do those things, were sacked 19 times in 4 games?
    If it wasn't for T-Jack, our number of sacks would leave no doubt that the OL can not pass block. I remember Bollinger being sacked THREE straight times! And he is a relitively mobile QB. that would never happen to even an average OL.

The bottom line, if our OL don't start doing its job better, our offense will never get any better. No matter who we have.
    See this is the type of post I can't stand. Our main problem is not the OL. Sure there is room for improvment but to act like they are the hindrance in our offense is off. There are much bigger problems.

No, there isn't. St. Louis goes from 4-12 to super-bowl champs after drafting Pace. Coinisdence...not likely. Why do you think our OL is so good...because they get paid alot??? I don't care what there names are, or how much they get paid....they got pushed back into the QBs face on a VERY regular basis. Unexceptable!!

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    [quote author=V link=topic=45555.msg791663#msg791663 date=1213296106]
    [quote author=mountainviking link=topic=45555.msg791566#msg791566 date=1213285954]

Compared to our QBs and WRs, a 20th ranking is pretty good. I think you would be hard pressed to name 12 WR corps and 12 QBs that were worse.
    Not good enough to win playoff games though...or win the Super Bowl in a few years (or less).
    You don't think our OL is good enough to win playoff games? ???

LT: Bryant McKinnie LT: Bryant McKinnie LG: Chris Liwinski LG: Steve Hutchinson C: Matt Birk C: Matt Birk RG: David Dixon RG: Anthoney Herrera RT: Adam Goldberg RT: Ryan Cook
    NOT in today's NFL...and I'm guessing, but I doubt that the previous line was 20th.
    The previous line was 24th, allowing 46 sacks.
    [/quote]
    So, the previous line won how many games?
    ONE?
    That still wouldn't be acceptable.
    I'm also guessing that they made less money than McKinnie does now (including McKinnie, who was probably still playing on his rookie contract).
    [/quote]

The point is that the previous line was average at best, but we still had the talent elsewhere on offense to make up for that. When you don't have weapons at the skill positions, it exposes your line because the defense doesn't have to worry about things like double coverage, QB Spy, etc.

I think a Division crown and a playoff victory would be an important stepping stone in the Childress era.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Chazz" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    :
    ??? Weren't you one of the ones who claimed he doesn't step into the pocket & takes off running instead?

If the line gives T-Jack all the time he needs & it's all T-Jacks fault because he's young, doesn't make the reads quick enough & doesn't roll out, why was it our veteran QB's (Bollinger & Holcombe) who do do those things, were sacked 19 times in 4 games?
    If it wasn't for T-Jack, our number of sacks would leave no doubt that the OL can not pass block. I remember Bollinger being sacked THREE straight times! And he is a relitively mobile QB. that would never happen to even an average OL.

The bottom line, if our OL don't start doing its job better, our offense will never get any better. No matter who we have.
    See this is the type of post I can't stand. Our main problem is not the OL. Sure there is room for improvment but to act like they are the hindrance in our offense is off. There are much bigger problems.

No, there isn't. St. Louis goes from 4-12 to super-bowl champs after drafting Pace. Coinisdence...not likely. Why do you think our OL is so good...because they get paid alot??? I don't care what there names are, or how much they get paid....they got pushed back into the QBs face on a VERY regular basis. Unexceptable!!
    If we had Mark Bulger, Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Torry Holt, and Isaac Bruce on our offense, and if we had gone 4-12 last year, I would say OL is our primary need too. However, our current skill positions, other than AD, don't compare to those guys, and we were 8-8 last year.

I think our OL is good because they are dominant in the run game and average in the passing game. Does that not equate to good?
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Chazz" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    :

No..... pace was drafted in 1997. Holt was drafted in 1999. Faulk was traded to the Rams in 1999.
    So it looks like the addition of Faulk and Holt when teamed with Bruce was enough to keep defenses honest. Lets not forget Warner. The oline improved in 1997 and the team was still sh%t. It's when you are able to keep a defense honest, your oline blocking improves.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast