singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Charlie Johnson shows gains for Vikings

Johnson shows gains for Vikings

closer review of the game film from Saturday night's 23-17 preseason loss to the Dallas Cowboys showed new left tackle Charlie Johnson deserving of a pat on the back, after three weeks of being widely kicked in the rear.

Read more: http://www.sunherald.com/2011/08/28/3381938/johnson-shows-gains-for-vikings.html#ixzz1WPm9WZGp

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Charlie Johnson shows gains for Vikings

Tackle's progress pleases Vikings

Local and national media have been critical of the performance of Charlie Johnson, who spent five seasons protecting Peyton Manning with the Colts and replaced Bryant McKinnie at left tackle for the Vikings in training camp, but Leslie Frazier and his offensive coaching staff have been satisfied with his play.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/128571978.html

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Thanks for the reads my friend.......

From the first article.....

Two particular runs showed how the feisty Herrera can give Peterson just enough of a seam to make one of those All-Pro cuts. Herrera pulled and kicked out Spencer on an 11-yard run on third-and-1. Later, on second-and-2, Herrera drove end Igor Olshansky left as Peterson cut off the block for 5 yards.
    I sure wish Herrera would get another number. I want to buy his jersey but because it belongs to another great G, I can't.

Also, the only sack of McNabb came when the Cowboys overloaded backup Ryan Cook's gap with a blitz on the third play after Herrera left.
    Wonder how many blame Cook for the sack.

Cornerback Cedric Griffin can cover, but his tackling is equally vital to this defense.

Playing his first extended minutes since having two major knee surgeries in consecutive seasons, Griffin was thrown at six times in 27 snaps. Four of those passes were completed, but the receivers gained only 14 yards after the catch. Even the electrifying Dez Bryant had gains of only 2 and 6 yards after catching the ball with an opportunity to run against Griffin.
    Epitamy of a Cover 2 CB. Not gonna get alot of picks and knocked away passes that most fans crave, but when he does that, he is playing great.

Left guard Chris DeGeare simply went too low in his protection stance. That allowed Gerald Sensabaugh to simply leap cleanly over DeGeare and easily block the field goal.

Sensabaugh tried it again later but was tripped up when the guard stayed higher in his stance. The mistake cost the Vikings the game, but it was a great learning experience for a young player who is struggling.
    Good to hear.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1106355
    Left guard Chris DeGeare simply went too low in his protection stance. That allowed Gerald Sensabaugh to simply leap cleanly over DeGeare and easily block the field goal.

Sensabaugh tried it again later but was tripped up when the guard stayed higher in his stance. The mistake cost the Vikings the game, but it was a great learning experience for a young player who is struggling.
    Good to hear.
    I wouldn't worry if we went 0-4 in preseason, if the players learn from mistakes like that then that works for me.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

With an off-day between Saturday’s game and the posting of this report, the Star Tribune’s Mark Craig beat me to the punch a little bit on analyzing the offensive line’s performance against the Cowboys. But it looks like we came to the same basic conclusion: the offensive line showed improvement. Specifically, the return of starting RG Anthony Herrera to the lineup was a big boost for the offensive line. While Craig was also complementary of LT Charlie Johnson, I was actually as impressed and maybe a touch more impressed with C John Sullivan.

For what it’s worth, we should temper somewhat the enthusiasm because this was just a preseason game and Dallas didn’t exactly come after the Vikings offense with a blitz-heavy attack. As 1500ESPN’s Tom Pelissero notes, Dallas “rushed more than four men three times in 18 dropback passes (16.7%) and rushed three on six occasions (33.3%), while the Vikings used at least one chip or extra protector eight times (44.4%), not including four bootleg plays.”
    After (Film) Review: Offensive Line

On a side note.......

3rd Offensive Series
    – On 2nd and 7 from the MN 17, McNabb changed the play at the line of scrimmage and the Vikings ran wide left with Peterson.
    How did he know that Dnabb changed the line at the play? From what a few on here think, its impossible to tell that from a chair.:whistle:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Two particular runs showed how the feisty Herrera can give Peterson just enough of a seam to make one of those All-Pro cuts. Herrera pulled and kicked out Spencer on an 11-yard run on third-and-1. Later, on second-and-2, Herrera drove end Igor Olshansky left as Peterson cut off the block for 5 yards.
    I sure wish Herrera would get another number. I want to buy his jersey but because it belongs to another great G, I can't.

Also, the only sack of McNabb came when the Cowboys overloaded backup Ryan Cook's gap with a blitz on the third play after Herrera left.

Cornerback Cedric Griffin can cover, but his tackling is equally vital to this defense.

Playing his first extended minutes since having two major knee surgeries in consecutive seasons, Griffin was thrown at six times in 27 snaps. Four of those passes were completed, but the receivers gained only 14 yards after the catch. Even the electrifying Dez Bryant had gains of only 2 and 6 yards after catching the ball with an opportunity to run against Griffin.
    Epitamy of a Cover 2 CB. Not gonna get alot of picks and knocked away passes that most fans crave, but when he does that, he is playing great.

Good to hear.
    So Herrera was awesome and Ryan Cook caused our only sack? Sounds about right. We need Herrera to stay healthy for the whole year or we could be in some big trouble. Charlie Johnson looked awesome. Big props to Davidson. Loved the schemes he used!

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

Good to hear.
    I want Herrera's jersey as well.. My only problem is finding it.

Quote Originally Posted by "MulletMullitia" #1106393

Good to hear.
    So Herrera was awesome and Ryan Cook caused our only sack? Sounds about right. We need Herrera to stay healthy for the whole year or we could be in some big trouble. Charlie Johnson looked awesome. Big props to Davidson. Loved the schemes he used!
    But why do you blame Cook for a sack that came from the overload?

Is it Cook who makes the line adjustments for that?

I would blame either the C or the QB or both as one or both of them either missed the read or didn't make the right adjustment for that read which allowed the defense to exploit that gap.

Remember, 1 blocker can reliably stop one defender. Sometimes he might get lucky and stop 2 but it won't be for very long unless he does a cutblock and then he will probably get flagged for that.

On a side note, almost every team relies on their starting OL to stay healthy or shit will hit the fan. Its the nature of the beast. Regardless of what or good friend Singer believes, the backups are just that. Backups. They are just good enough to get good reps out of but not quite good enough to be starters or else they wouldn't be backups now would they.

Quote Originally Posted by "gamecocksbaseball31" #1106400
    I want Herrera's jersey as well.. My only problem is finding it.
    There are a few sites out there were you can order them but they are in the $200-250ish range to get them because they are custom orders.

I don't like him that much.......:lol: