Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Bookmarked

Ranger is offline Coach
    Brees got dinged for having terrible arm strength in San Diego, too. Rivers doesn't have a great arm, but he had the best deep ball in the game for a few years.

I wonder if Ponder's issue is with footwork.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Brees got dinged for having terrible arm strength in San Diego, too. Rivers doesn't have a great arm, but he had the best deep ball in the game for a few years.

I wonder if Ponder's issue is with footwork.
    Could be.

He also puts the touch on - that little flick that takes a bit off the pass.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    um... you guys do realize that deep passes are mostly supposed to be thrown with as much arc as possible, right?

On another note, Christian Ponder seemed to be in perfect sync with Jarius Wright on multiple beautiful deep passes last season.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    um... you guys do realize that deep passes are mostly supposed to be thrown with as much arc as possible, right?

On another note, Christian Ponder seemed to be in perfect sync with Jarius Wright on multiple beautiful deep passes last season.
    I'd say it needs to be thrown with adequate arc to prevent defenders from getting a hand on it and maintain timing with the target.

Even if we had a guy who could throw the ball super high and still get it 60 yards downfield, I'd rather it get there and not look like a punt.

We have good speed at receiver, I don't want them giving that speed at the top of deep routes by breaking stride to match the ball.

Assuming we're thinking of the same plays, the first of the passes to Wright was perfect, but he was pretty well covered and the defender managed to take him down.
    Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Jarius Wright 65-yard catch - NFL Videos

The other, where he got taken down on the 1 or 2, despite being wide open was clearly an under throw. He had to turn around to catch it.
    Jarius Wright big gain - NFL Videos

He rushed the second one, which messed up his footwork. The first ball was thrown deeper, and better. I think he has the arm strength, he just needs to trust in it. I think he'll also be more comfortable with the line this year. He should be more confident with everyone around him this year.

So if he doesn't take a sizable step forward, it's time to sit him. I'm certainly rooting for him.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    I'd say it needs to be thrown with adequate arc to prevent defenders from getting a hand on it and maintain timing with the target.
    +1

To much arc & less zip (floater) allows the defender to make the same adjustments to the ball that the receivers make. Might be why Wright's 65 yard reception didn't go for 6.

The QB is not supposed to have more hang time than the punter. Might be why they let Kluwe go.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    You guys are right to say that the ball shouldn't be thrown with too much of an arc as you don't want the ball to float when in the air.

As for the Jarius Wright long catch, I wouldn't really call this a big underthrown pass. The defender had zero chance to make a play on the ball, the ball hit Wright right on the numbers and Wright never had to slow down. Sure it could have been placed a little more in front of him, but it would have been a TD if Wright didn't turn around. Wrigth sure has some wheels though. Great speed on that kid.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    +1

To much arc & less zip (floater) allows the defender to make the same adjustments to the ball that the receivers make. Might be why Wright's 65 yard reception didn't go for 6.

The QB is not supposed to have more hang time than the punter. Might be why they let Kluwe go.
    While I am in agreement with you about Ponder throwing way too many floaters, that 65 yard to Wright was not one of them. That was a damn good ball. Again, I know that Ponder CAN make the throws, I just don't know if he can make them CONSISTENTLY.

Last season, I went into the season completely behind Ponder. I figured the full offseason as well as training camp would allow him to make large strides. I wasn't expecting a pro-bowler, but I was expecting him to improve as time went on. The first four games he looked good. The next eight he looked shitty. The last four he redeemed himself a bit, ending the season on a pretty damn good game against the Packers.

This season, I understand he is going into training camp as the starter. And I am willing to accept the fact that the coaching staff is better able to make that decision than I am. But I hope he is on a short leash, because I think Cassel is just as good, if not better, than Ponder.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Last season, I went into the season completely behind Ponder. I figured the full offseason as well as training camp would allow him to make large strides. I wasn't expecting a pro-bowler, but I was expecting him to improve as time went on. The first four games he looked good. The next eight he looked shitty. The last four he redeemed himself a bit, ending the season on a pretty damn good game against the Packers.
    He did end the year with a damn good game against the Packers, but I don't agree he redeemed himself in the other 3. IMO, people erroneously give Ponder too much credit in all of the last 4 games simply because we won them.

I don't think he redeemed himself or had a good game when he passed for a grand total of 91 yards & 0 TD's in the win against the Bears. Credit AD with 154 rushing yards & 2 TD's & Smith for his INT TD.

In the Texan game he had a nice long pass on their opening drive to set up a TD run & a nice run in the 4th quarter to move the chains, but it was all AD & Gerhart after that. Ponder only completed 53% of his passes in that game.

In only one of those 4 wins did he average over 5.8 yards a throw for more than 174 yards.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    It all depends on the route, receiver strength and jumping ability, the defender position, separation, leading, the defensive formation, reads, and the quarterback arm strength.

Using physics, a 45 degree angle is the most efficient angle for a deep pass. Some tosses need to get in quickly and use a shallow angle. Some need to float to a spot, and the angle is steep.

In the NFL, a deep floater is dangerous to throw. Reaction time by defenders will certainly put safeties at the spot. They usually end in jump balls or picks into a deep zone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast