Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Charley Walters: Minnesota Vikings' Christian Ponder has his throw back

Charley Walters: Minnesota Vikings' Christian Ponder has his throw back - TwinCities.com

Vikings quarterback Christian Ponder, who was forced to miss the team's playoff loss to the Packers last season in Green Bay because of a deeply bruised throwing triceps, was throwing well and with plenty of velocity in team drills last week at Winter Park.
    "It feels good; there are no aftereffects," Ponder said of his arm.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Walters is confused. What he meant to say is that he saw Christian Ponder in a throwback jersey.

From the video I have seen, Ponder is throwing a six yard touch pass like a six yard touch pass. He throws a twelve yard out like a six yard touch pass. He throws a screen like a six yard touch pass; he throws a twenty yard bomb ....

It begs the question, what velocity is plenty?
    Last edited by Minniman; 06-03-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Ranger is offline Coach
    I think I'm the only guy who doesn't think that Ponder has a historically weak arm. He's not Pennington. Sure, he's not a Flacco or Stafford, but he has adequate arm strength to make the throws.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    From the video I have seen, Ponder is throwing a six yard touch pass like a six yard touch pass. He throws a twelve yard out like a six yard touch pass. He throws a screen like a six yard touch pass; he throws a twenty yard bomb ....
    That's pretty much how I see it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I think I'm the only guy who doesn't think that Ponder has a historically weak arm. He's not Pennington. Sure, he's not a Flacco or Stafford, but he has adequate arm strength to make the throws.
    So what you're saying then is, Ponder throws all those touch passes and floaters on purpose when a pass with more zip would have worked better?

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    That's pretty much how I see it to.

So what you're saying then is, Ponder throws all those touch passes and floaters on purpose when a pass with more zip would have worked better?
    He's thrown passes with zip before.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    You"re not alone Ranger.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    He's thrown passes with zip before.
    But the majority of his deeper throws have been floaters, rather than the few with zip. The question is why does he do it & what has he or the coaching staff done to fix it? So far it appears nothing.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    I was watching NFL networks replaying of the week 17 game against the Packers the other day. I noticed on the final drive Ponder threw an accurate pass, with a little zip, 30 yards down field to Jenkins on the sideline. I think he's capable of making all the throws, it's just a matter of being consistent.

Here is the video recap of the game, the throw I'm talking about happens at 4:35.
    Watch Green Bay Packers vs. Minnesota Vikings [12/30/2012] - NFL.com
    edit: Just watched the entire video and noticed another great pass from Ponder.at 4:00 he hits Wright about 50 yards down field in stride. Wasn't a bullet, but it was a pretty pass.
    Last edited by jmcdon00; 06-04-2013 at 10:24 AM.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Yes, Ponder is capable of making all of the throws, even the deep ones.

I am also capable of driving a golf ball perfectly straight about 250 down the fairway. Unfortunately I only do it about once a round, so my PGA membership remains in question...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Did he ever have it to begin with?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast