Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 65
  1. #41
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,916
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Oh bullshit. What 3rd and 5th rounders are out playing him by a wide margin? Yes, I would rate him higher than both Wilson and Folkes. He may get some homer votes from people here, but that is ridiculous. He failed to find the open checkdown on ONE sack last night. One was a good coverage sack, and the other was a speed rush that Kalil completely missed on. The INT, I agree, was brutal.

    Take off the anti-Spielman shades. You are missing the game. 3rd and 5th Rounders? Seriously? That is so far off base it is sad.
    You are correct, there wasn't a 5th rounder. He is a 4th rounder
    Wilson- 4th rounder.
    Ryan Mallett - 3rd rounder.
    Nick Foles - 3rd rounder.

    Only you would rate a QB that has lead his team on scores on 12 of his 18 drives below Ponder.

    Ponder thru 3 games:
    23 completions 38 attempts 61% 331 yards 1 TD 1 Int

    Wilson:
    35 completions 52 attempts 67% 464 yards 5tds 1int

    Still he was drafted in the first round and is being out played by almost half of the Qbs drafted after him. I've seen enough to know that he will be a serviceable QB but will never lead us to the promise land. While others are growing he will plateau early. He lacks that IT factor, he just doesn't have IT. Trent Dilfer comes to mind.
    Last edited by kevoncox; 08-26-2012 at 02:06 PM.

  2. #42
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,180
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marstc09 View Post
    Yes Longwell could. Once they moved it up 5 yards he was kicking into the end zone. Any young leg should be able to do that consistently. He is nothing special if he can't get us points. Judging by the first semi real game, our kicker is going to be key. Make excuses all you want about bad snaps blah blah blah.....good kickers like Longwell made kicks on bad snaps!
    No, Longwell could not.

    He had 77 kickoffs last year. 19 of them were touchbacks. His average kick went 64.8 yards through the air, which meant that his AVERAGE kickoff landed just shot of the endzone.

    Walsh has had 15 kickoffs so far this preseason. 7 have been touchbacks. He averages 68 yards through the air, so his average kickoff lands 3 yards into the endzone.

    Big difference.

    Longwell was 22 for 28 last year on FGs. I strongly suspect that Walsh will be just as good, if not better.
    Yes, he did. My eyes are just fine.

    3 yards is a big difference?! That is laughable.

    Longwell was not good last year but Blair is a concern. Period.

    Young vs old and young is not impressing me.

  3. #43
    MaxVike's Avatar
    MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,561
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    You are correct, there wasn't a 5th rounder. He is a 4th rounder
    Kirk Cousins - 4th rounder.
    Ryan Mallett - 3rd rounder.
    Nick Foles - 3rd rounder.

    Only you would rate a QB that has lead his team on scores on 12 of his 18 drives below Ponder.

    Ponder thru 3 games:
    23 completions 38 attempts 61% 331 yards 1 TD 1 Int

    Cousin:
    35 completions 52 attempts 67% 464 yards 5tds 1int

    Still he was drafted in the first round and is being out played by almost half of the Qbs drafted after him. I've seen enough to know that he will be a serviceable QB but will never lead us to the promise land. While others are growing he will plateau early. He lacks that IT factor, he just doesn't have IT. Trent Dilfer comes to mind.
    Kevon, get how you feel about Ponder...I don't share the same despair.

    Comparisons at this point to Cousins and Foles are a little out there. First, Ponder is playing against #1 defenses, Cousins and Foles, #2 and #3...plus, they were drafted this year, Ponder last year, rendering the comparison about draft position even more irrelevant. Perhaps your point is that the Vikes should have drafted someone else #1 last year and followed with Mallett in the 2nd Round, which, is a much more relevant argument in my opinion. Picking #12 last year, the Vikes were in a bit of a tough spot...they needed a QB, so did Carolina (Newton), Tennessee (Locker), and Jax (Gabbert). That left the Vikes to choose (I'm convinced they were set on Locker) between Mallett, Ponder, Kaepernick, and Dalton. In my view, the comparison should be limited to them. So, Mallett and Kaepernick are backups and have not seen the field in the regular season, Dalton is an injury replacement Pro-Bowler (with AJ Green to throw to, I might add, another Pro-Bowler). There is no doubt, we need to see significant progress from Ponder...I'm not alarmed yet.

    That notwithstanding, I like Cousins and Foles, particularly Cousins. And, I've always liked Russell Wilson...great kid, leader, and player. We shall see if it translates.

    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

  4. #44
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,180
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    The more I watch these pre season games, the more I realize that were really REACHED on Ponder @ #12. We have 3rd and 5th rounders out playing him by a wide margin. He is being out played by this year's rookies as well. I know he get's the Homer vote because he is our QB but....Would you rate him higher than Wilson or Folkes at this point. That INT was brutal. Several of the sacks he took last night, he failed to locate his check down back who was wide open.
    Oh bullshit. What 3rd and 5th rounders are out playing him by a wide margin? Yes, I would rate him higher than both Wilson and Folkes. He may get some homer votes from people here, but that is ridiculous. He failed to find the open checkdown on ONE sack last night. One was a good coverage sack, and the other was a speed rush that Kalil completely missed on. The INT, I agree, was brutal.

    Take off the anti-Spielman shades. You are missing the game. 3rd and 5th Rounders? Seriously? That is so far off base it is sad.
    What!? You think Ponder looks better than Wilson. Take off the purple shades.

    67.3%
    464 yards.....8.9 per attempt
    5 TDs
    150 rushing and a TD

  5. #45
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by marstc09 View Post
    What!? You think Ponder looks better than Wilson. Take off the purple shades.

    67.3%
    464 yards.....8.9 per attempt
    5 TDs
    150 rushing and a TD
    Can you honestly say that you think that Wilson is going to outplay Ponder this year? If so, I'll take that bet. Have you watched his games, or are you just looking at the stat sheet? It doesn't hurt to have Edwards and Owens to throw to. Our WR corp isn't doing Ponder any favors.

    I actually like Wilson a lot, and I am not trying to downplay what he has done so far. He is playing well, but he is also making some rookie mistakes. To claim that he is outplaying Ponder is a stretch. I also have serious concerns about his height. At 5'11" his passing lanes are going to be limited and teams are going to gameplan to clog them up in a regular season game. That being said, I wouldn't be shocked to see him as the starter this year, if not at the beginning of the season, then by the halfway point.

    So it comes down to the question of who I would rather have, Wilson or Ponder. Right now I would say Ponder. My purple shades probably ARE affecting that a bit, I'll admit it. My response was directed more at kevon, who is on a witch hunt for anything he can hang Spielman on.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  6. #46
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by marstc09 View Post
    Yes, he did. My eyes are just fine.

    3 yards is a big difference?! That is laughable.

    Longwell was not good last year but Blair is a concern. Period.

    Young vs old and young is not impressing me.
    It is a big difference when you are talking about catching the ball on the goal line or three yards deep. We are going to see significantly more TBs this year. Considering the division we are in, that is a big deal.

    And Walsh is currently kicking pretty much the same as what we saw from Longwell last year. So worst case scenario we have the same kicking efficiency and better kickoffs. I don't see how that is a cause for concern.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  7. #47
    highdesertvike is offline Training Camp
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Yes, because that's what we do, apparently. Base the season on the good things, and disregard the bad things because, well, it's just preseason...right?
    Cute. I'm simply suggesting we wait until a few REGULAR season games are in the books before we start writing the season off...
    An ugly win is better than a pretty loss.

  8. #48
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,180
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marstc09 View Post
    What!? You think Ponder looks better than Wilson. Take off the purple shades.

    67.3%
    464 yards.....8.9 per attempt
    5 TDs
    150 rushing and a TD
    Can you honestly say that you think that Wilson is going to outplay Ponder this year? If so, I'll take that bet. Have you watched his games, or are you just looking at the stat sheet? It doesn't hurt to have Edwards and Owens to throw to. Our WR corp isn't doing Ponder any favors.

    I actually like Wilson a lot, and I am not trying to downplay what he has done so far. He is playing well, but he is also making some rookie mistakes. To claim that he is outplaying Ponder is a stretch. I also have serious concerns about his height. At 5'11" his passing lanes are going to be limited and teams are going to gameplan to clog them up in a regular season game. That being said, I wouldn't be shocked to see him as the starter this year, if not at the beginning of the season, then by the halfway point.

    So it comes down to the question of who I would rather have, Wilson or Ponder. Right now I would say Ponder. My purple shades probably ARE affecting that a bit, I'll admit it. My response was directed more at kevon, who is on a witch hunt for anything he can hang Spielman on.
    TO?! You mean the same guy they just cut? Lol

    Yes I can honestly say Wilson will outplay Ponder. They might even make the playoffs now.

    Stats win games and yes I watched his games. I am a Wisconsin fan. The bet is on!

    Wilson was just named the starter! Suck it Marrdro and TJOKE!

  9. #49
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,180
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marstc09 View Post
    Yes, he did. My eyes are just fine.

    3 yards is a big difference?! That is laughable.

    Longwell was not good last year but Blair is a concern. Period.

    Young vs old and young is not impressing me.
    It is a big difference when you are talking about catching the ball on the goal line or three yards deep. We are going to see significantly more TBs this year. Considering the division we are in, that is a big deal.

    And Walsh is currently kicking pretty much the same as what we saw from Longwell last year. So worst case scenario we have the same kicking efficiency and better kickoffs. I don't see how that is a cause for concern.
    Touchbacks don't win games. We went to the NFC Championship with a guy that didn't get many touchbacks. We lost one with a guy that missed a FG. I am concerned and I have every right to be based on history and the last preseason game losing by 2 points and a missed FG.
    Last edited by marstc09; 08-27-2012 at 01:45 AM.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    ST. CLOUD MN
    Posts
    1,043
    K Billy Cundiff was just cut.
    What would it hurt to bring him in for a workout.

    I think a little competition is good.
    If walsh kicks better knowing there is a veteran breathing down his neck, then point made.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •