Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changed Mind

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Changed Mind

For the Brian Williams HATER, tell me what CB is in his 3rd year and is playing as good or better than Brian Williams, Tufant, yes, Newman probably not that fool gets toasted ever single game. BWis playing at a decent level and like someone said, just how many yards recieving did Wayne have. Wayne got away with some push in the endzone on BW (on the delay of game that wasn't called). I have to go straight for the heads of the LB's, they tore us up with the running game up the middle and the TE's, thats all LB duty. They sucked to high hell.

I dont have an answer for the the LB crew, Claborne has shown pretty much nothing the whole season, i almost begging for him to come back, maybe he can bring some experience to the unit. Maybe he can boost the coverage skill. EJ has been somewhat of a disapointment, but thats not an easy position to play in the NFL. DT just can't seem to get it right, i see him out of position, hesatating, hes not playing very well. They are going to have to do something. I dont know put Claborne in the middle and use Newman and Raonall. Thank goodness i dont have to worry about that unit.

All in all i think it will help to get claborne back and raonall. Please dont bring Claborne back at 98%, make sure he is 100% before putting him back on the field.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Changed Mind

"vikingstw" wrote:
    For the Brian Williams HATER, tell me what CB is in his 3rd year and is playing as good or better than Brian Williams, Tufant, yes, Newman probably not that fool gets toasted ever single game. BWis playing at a decent level and like someone said, just how many yards recieving did Wayne have. Wayne got away with some push in the endzone on BW (on the delay of game that wasn't called). I have to go straight for the heads of the LB's, they tore us up with the running game up the middle and the TE's, thats all LB duty. They sucked to high hell.

I dont have an answer for the the LB crew, Claborne has shown pretty much nothing the whole season, i almost begging for him to come back, maybe he can bring some experience to the unit. Maybe he can boost the coverage skill. EJ has been somewhat of a disapointment, but thats not an easy position to play in the NFL. DT just can't seem to get it right, i see him out of position, hesatating, hes not playing very well. They are going to have to do something. I dont know put Claborne in the middle and use Newman and Raonall. Thank goodness i dont have to worry about that unit.

All in all i think it will help to get claborne back and raonall. Please dont bring Claborne back at 98%, make sure he is 100% before putting him back on the field.
    I think the backs played well. The line played well. The LB let the TE run wild. Everyone and I mean everyone except maybe Winfield was guilty of some of the shittiest pisspour tackling I have seen in a long time.

We could have gotten away with the LB's poor play on the TE's if we would have tackled on some of the other critical plays. They also bit on the play action fakes the whole game.

I think Tice was trying to say in the PC that the LB's still aren't getting to there spots on D in the pass protection.

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Changed Mind

Dont blame linehan, he does a hell of a job whether you see it or not on the field and is the one that got culpepper this far anyway.

As for tice, he truly hasnt improved from his rookie mistake as well as mistakes from last year. He just doesnt seem to do the job at this point in time. Like i said earlier and i think ill stick to it, if he doesnt get us to the playoffs, he should be gone.

But last nights game pulled me in the direction of getting rid of him now but that wouldnt be too smart. SO lets see how far he can get us. Wouldnt mind him just being demoted to o-line coach again. DId a good job with birk and co.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Changed Mind

"hawaiianvike21" wrote:
    Dont blame linehan, he does a hell of a job whether you see it or not on the field and is the one that got culpepper this far anyway.

As for tice, he truly hasnt improved from his rookie mistake as well as mistakes from last year. He just doesnt seem to do the job at this point in time. Like i said earlier and i think ill stick to it, if he doesnt get us to the playoffs, he should be gone.

But last nights game pulled me in the direction of getting rid of him now but that wouldnt be too smart. SO lets see how far he can get us. Wouldnt mind him just being demoted to o-line coach again. DId a good job with birk and co.
    What you said regarding Tice and getting us to the playoffs is the solution in a nutshell...if he lets the team fold down the stretch, he should be gone. The only problem with that is who do you bring in that can take a new team to the Super Bowl in one year...Barry Switzer???...I can't think of anyone who could come in and take the reins of our team (which should win the Super Bowl next year given the talent level and continued gelling of the defense)...maybe someone like Bill Walsh would come out of retirement for one more shot at it, but I doubt it. Who would you trust with not screwing up our big chance next year? Any suggestions from the Tice bashers out there?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Changed Mind

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "hawaiianvike21" wrote:

What you said regarding Tice and getting us to the playoffs is the solution in a nutshell...if he lets the team fold down the stretch, he should be gone. The only problem with that is who do you bring in that can take a new team to the Super Bowl in one year...Barry Switzer???...I can't think of anyone who could come in and take the reins of our team (which should win the Super Bowl next year given the talent level and continued gelling of the defense)...maybe someone like Bill Walsh would come out of retirement for one more shot at it, but I doubt it. Who would you trust with not screwing up our big chance next year? Any suggestions from the Tice bashers out there?
    Don't laugh what do you guys think about the ex-giants coach? He went to SB lost but still coached his team to the promise land.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Changed Mind

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    I can't believ with a good 10 seconds left Tice decided to wait until 2 were remaining and call teh time out. Settling for a field goal. That was the stupidiest thing I have ever seen in my entire life. There is no good reason for doing it.
    We have one timeout, and 10 seconds left. A fieldgoal makes it a 1 score game. We could take the time out, and take one shot into our endzone, but our offensive line has been a sieve all half. If we get sacked, there's no way we get the ball spiked in time, and that would give all our momentum back to the home team. A field goal may be the safe and unpopular play, but it gives us a little momentum going into halftime in a tough stadium to be the visitors. A shot to the endzone would make our fans happy, but the upside is small, and the potential downside is huge.

I'm just fine with how Tice played it at the end of the half. I think that we as fans make the mistake of always assuming that the play we have designed in our head would always be successful, and the coaches are stupid for not thinking of it. Who knows what would have happened if Tice went for the endzone there. We'd probably be screaming for his head because he didn't take the safe play to get us within one score.

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    I also couldn't believe that on 3rd and 33 he took a time out to keep from losing 5 more yards. What does 5 more yards matter? And then after wasting the time out, he doesn't try and get the first down. 5 yards wasn't worth that time out.
    Yes, but calming our team down, so they don't make the situation worse, was worth the time out.

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    I agreed with Madden that we should have just let the Colts score to give our offense time to come back. I mean, c'mon, they are the #1 Red Zone teama dn by that time they were inside the 30, well within Field Goal range. Just them score! We weren't going to stop them, we didn't stop them.
    We had the chance to stop them, and make them kick the field goal with time left to drive for a field goal of our own. We missed tackles, and they got the first. Then, all they did was take a knee. They weren't even trying to score, so how could we let them. If we let them score a TD earlier, then we have to drive the length of the field, instead of just to the 30. No, you try to stop them there every time. They may get the field goal, but if you stop them, you have time on the clock to get a fieldgoal of your own.

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    Also, Ted Cottrell and Scott Linehan need to go after this season. We've still got Robinson and Campbell, we need to take shots and stretch the freaking field.
    I frequently saw Daunte look down field when he had time, he just never pulled the trigger. Our guys weren't getting open on the plays when the O-line actually blocked.

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    As for Cotrell, he turned a medicore defense, with a whole shitload of potential to be top-10 into one of the worst defenses I have seen in the vikings in a couple years. [snip] Cottrell doesn't blitz enough. Chavous and Russel are really good safeties, and Williams and Winfield can hold their own against pretty much any set of 2 WRs in the game. Take a chance and blitz a friggin' safety, and if you're not going to blitz the linebackers please at least have one of them cover the underneath guy.
    You eluded to it yourself; the linebackers are missing assignments. That's why we can't blitz a safety. Let's see what happens this week when he gets Claiborne and Smith back. But it general, I think what will help this defense the most is continuity. They've had a different coordinator, and a different scheme every year for the past four years or so. If we can keep the same coach on defense for a couple years or so, I think you'll begin to see some vast improvement.

As for Linehan, I've heard quite a few interviews with Daunte where he credits linehan and his schemes for turning him into the QB his is this year. That alone makes me want to keep him.

Basically, right now is not the time to be calling for your coach's head. Unless, of course, you root for the orange and teal. Let's wait to the end of the season, take a look back on what happened, and decide then, when we have some cooler heads. Right after a loss is a bad time to make that kind of decision.

And anyway, firing Red is a much bigger priority.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Changed Mind

Are you talking about Fossil or Fossell????

He will probably be Head coach somewhere next year. He is with the Ravens as a special assistant QB coach to Boller. He comes in once a week to talk to Boller and give him a grade for the week.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Changed Mind

The reason he didn't call the timeout with 8 seconds left is explained here:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5077816.html

It's about the 7th or 8th paragraph down. Read it and you'll understand why he did what he did!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Changed Mind

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5077816.html

It's about the 7th or 8th paragraph down.
    Can you copy and paste that paragraph VKG4LFE?

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Freya is offline Team Alumni

Changed Mind

Thank you VKG4LFE!

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast