Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Change isn't in wind for Vikings

Posted on Tue, Nov. 21, 2006

[size=13pt]Change isn't in wind for Vikings[/size]

Childress stays course despite four-game slide

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

The soft part of the 2006 schedule has not been kind, and the Vikings are embracing the culture of accountability.

Coach Brad Childress acknowledged that he has not followed through on his preseason mantra that the "Vikings don't beat the Vikings." Left tackle Bryant McKinnie admitted that the offense is playing "tight." Defensive end Darrion Scott said his unit must apply more pressure on opposing quarterbacks.

And the always-candid Antoine Winfield summed up the state of the Vikings this way:

"Looking at our schedule, to be 4-2 and lose four in a row with the schedule that we had, I would never have guessed it. We all look at the schedule and think we should win those four games, but we proved that you have to go out there each week and play at your best."

Childress reiterated that he will not make significant changes, and resisted the idea of shakeups.

"I don't think you change for the sake of change," he said. "You change for a reason, and the reason would have to be that I feel like it gives us a better chance to win."

Despite four consecutive losses that make the playoffs a long shot, Childress said he is focused on the 2006 season, not beyond.

"I'm not going to cast my gaze to next year, or the future, or any of that kind of stuff," he said. "You owe it to this football team to put us in the best position to win, and play the best people that put us in a position to win, and that assessment is ongoing.

"You have a certain number of chips that you can use, but those are the people I want on the football field."

On Monday, Childress highlighted the positives, such as the run defense, but once again lamented the untimely turnovers by his offense.

During the team's four-game losing streak, the offense has turned the ball over 12 times, while the defense has generated only five turnovers. For the season, the Vikings have committed 20 turnovers, tied for sixth most in the NFL.

"It's hard to beat people when you turn the football over, and particularly late in the game like that," Childress said. "So we go on, and we correct that.

"That's probably the most common thread," he said, when asked about the consistent problem. "If you go back through and see who takes care of the football, and when we take care of the football, we're tough to beat."

But McKinnie said the Vikings lack the swagger they briefly flashed in Seattle, and he said his unit needs to make plays to get "everybody excited."

"I think everyone has been playing a little tight, because they want to do good and don't want to be the person who makes the mistakes," he said. "But everyone just needs to loosen up and, like coach says, 'Have fun.' Enjoy ourselves."

More frustrating, McKinnie said, is that different units are struggling at different times. As a result, the offense needs to "pop a big game."

"People can build confidence from there," he said. "Then it would be better."

Besides, McKinnie added, the offense is tired of putting the onus on the defense.

"That's hard on the defense," he said. "I know how hard they work and how hard it is to limit teams to such a low amount of points. And they're the ones keeping us in the game."

But McKinnie said a change now might worsen the Vikings' problems, hurting continuity and leaving players concerned about being the next one on the bench.

"If a whole lot of changes are made, then everybody will really play scared because they'll be like, 'I hope they don't change me,' " he said. "I still look at it as a work in progress. It's everybody's first year, in a new program, a new offense."

Defensive tackle Kevin Williams said the team must avoid bickering or pointing fingers.

"We've still got six games left," he said. "You're still in the picture. Look at the NFC. Nobody is killing anybody, except the (Chicago) Bears, who have an outstanding record. We've just got to do what we've got to do to win some more games, and we'll be fine."

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected] Check out his blog at www.vikingsnow.blogspot.com.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Change isn't in wind for Vikings

Posted on Mon, Nov. 20, 2006

[size=13pt]Big changes for Vikings? Not this week[/size]

A befuddled offense that has managed only 11 touchdowns and playoff prospects all but doomed won't translate into major lineup changes, says Vikings coach Brad Childress, who is resolved to maintain course.

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Last update: November 20, 2006 – 9:30 PM

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Hell, if he doesn't want to tweak things to make it better, or at least see if it will make it better, thats on him, he is the HC for now.. I just hope that when the season is a complete failure, that he takes it all on his shoulders..

Brad Johnson has been playing like crap pretty much the whole season.. Most "smart" HC's in the NFL would throw in another QB to see if that sparks the team.. Not him, he seems like he is afraid of change.. Everyone here pretty much called for Tice's head with the results of last season, he at least got us 9 wins, something that is far fetched at this point.. We would have to go 5-1 the rest of the way just to match last seasons win total, not gonna happen..

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

I think I disagree with every word that comes from Childress. The season is in shambles. We just lost to the 2 worst teams in the NFL. Personal changes especially with the QB, are needed to shake things up. What Childress has been doing isnt working, and being stuburn about it wont win any more games.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

And the always-candid Antoine Winfield summed up the state of the Vikings this way:

"Looking at our schedule, to be 4-2 and lose four in a row with the schedule that we had, I would never have guessed it. We all look at the schedule and think we should win those four games, but we proved that you have to go out there each week and play at your best."

Childress reiterated that he will not make significant changes, and resisted the idea of shakeups.

"I don't think you change for the sake of change," he said. "You change for a reason, and the reason would have to be that I feel like it gives us a better chance to win."
    AW takes responsibility for the teams actions.
    We have to play the games and win them.
    Can't just think you will win.

Childress is no Meathead!
    Me might just be riding the post meathead year(s).
    In with the good spirits and out with the bad.

"CCthebest" wrote:
    I think I disagree with every word that comes from Childress. The season is in shambles. We just lost to the 2 worst teams in the NFL. Personal changes especially with the QB, are needed to shake things up. What Childress has been doing isnt working, and being stuburn about it wont win any more games.
    I am going to try to ease your pain.
    We were a play here and a penalty there from winning 3 of our last 4 games, still frustrating, I know.
    We also out coached and out played Sea on their own turf.
    This season sucks in the fact that we have to win 5 of our last 6 to get where most (probably 80%) of us thought we would be this season.
    I think that the bar was set around 9-7.
    To me, if we can get to 8-8 that isn't that far off the mark.
    Anything worse than 8-8 will move us into the top 15 or so in the draft.
    Try to picture the glass half full some how.
    It is the only way to keep the sanity.

Keep your head up!

Change isn't in wind for Vikings

Duh! That isn't change.
    That is the sent of a team that FARTED away a good start, 4-2.

Or maybe, just maybe, during that 4-2 start, we couldn't smell that fart because the Vikings were holding a bunch of Roses in our faces.
    Roses died and the Fart remains.

It is what it is right now, 4-6, two games from being an AVG team.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Run the course for the year, but if we look like this again next year.
    I'm personally going to fire Childress.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

I personally think the bar was set at 9-7 with mike tice.
    With all the dam chaos we had last year to pull out at 9-7 which would probably get us in the playoffs this year seems like a stretch.

It's soo frustrating to see the same stuff week in and week out... and we arent' getting any better on offense...
    The same story on offense last year too.. we just one more games and played with more emotion....

We have no emotion and are frankly as boring to watch as childress looks...

I guess it is true that the team takes on the mentality of the head coach...

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    I personally think the bar was set at 9-7 with mike tice.
    With all the dam chaos we had last year to pull out at 9-7 which would probably get us in the playoffs this year seems like a stretch.

It's soo frustrating to see the same stuff week in and week out... and we arent' getting any better on offense...
    The same story on offense last year too.. we just one more games and played with more emotion....

We have no emotion and are frankly as boring to watch as childress looks...

I guess it is true that the team takes on the mentality of the head coach...
    BellyCheck has a few SuperBowl titles under his belt, and he looks almost as exciting as Chilly.

Face it, we have a RB that has fumbled the ball when we were near or in scoring position twice this year (Chi and Mia).
    We have a QB that has given up more INTs than any of us expected, including the coach.

You (plural, or ya'll if you (plural) like) ain't got it bad until you are a Texans fan.

They have no offense, they check down more than us.
    They are boring.
    They don't have a great D to hold the score down.

Atleast Chilly went out and turned around our D with the hiring of Tomlin. Step in the right direction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast