Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Is change good for the Vikings?

Thu, September 7, 2006

[size=13pt]Is change good for the Vikings?[/size]

By AP

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Just when the Minnesota Vikings looked to have completed a massive off-season overhaul, the changes keep on coming.

A new backup quarterback. A new backup running back. Receivers. Defensive backs. The Vikings addressed all those areas over the weekend, just over a week before they open the regular season against the Washington Redskins on Sept. 11.

In the last few days, the Vikings have:

n Jettisoned Mike McMahon, who was a bust as the No. 2 quarterback.

n Traded for quarterback Brooks Bollinger from the New York Jets and signed him to a two-year contract extension.

n Signed maligned veteran Todd Pinkston in the latest effort to beef up a receiving corps rocked by the release of Koren Robinson.

n Signed running back Artose Pinner to provide depth behind starter Chester Taylor, a move necessitated by Mewelde Moore's lingering injury problems.

n Signed cornerback Rashad Baker after nickel back Dovonte Edwards was lost for the season with a broken arm against Dallas last week.

And they might not be done yet.

"We will continue working this roster probably right up until game time," coach Brad Childress said Monday. "In terms of tweaking it, looking for people out there, seeing who best fits our situation."

The team that finally does take the field at Washington for the opener will carry little resemblance to last year's 9-7 team that missed the playoffs. Owner Zygi Wilf cleaned house in the off-season, firing coach Mike Tice, hiring Childress from Philadelphia, reshaping the front office and trading quarterback Daunte Culpepper to Miami.

Most of the big moves were made months ago, but this latest flurry of manoeuvres shows that the rebuilding project is still very much a work in progress.

Bollinger was brought in to provide an experienced player behind 37-year-old starter Brad Johnson after McMahon was a complete failure in the preseason. With second-round draft pick Tarvaris Jackson considered the long-term solution at the position, Childress was looking for another veteran should Johnson go down.

The fourth-year pro started nine games for the Jets last season and now finds himself cramming like a college senior during finals week in an effort to get ready for the season opener.

Some might find all these changes this close to the season as a sign the team is scrambling to field a competitive roster. There also are questions about whether all these new players have gelled, especially on an offence that has eight new starters.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Is change good for the Vikings?

Wow, after reading this article, I have to admit I am a little concerned about the season now.. That is alot of new players to try and put togther to make a go of it.. I just hope that they all feed off of each other and win games..

Prophet Guest

No, it's not good.
    I think it would have been smart if they kept a greedy tight-wad owner, a mindless coaching staff, and a team laced with prima donna's that had only a hint of team chemistry.

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

My views on this subject . . .

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=150&topic=26822.ms g464170#msg464170

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

The Vikings are gonna be FINE...we are talking about reserves that they are adding...the starters are already cemented in...for now.
    If that changes, it won't be for several weeks into the season (barring injury, God forbid)...by then, the newbies will have assimilated the offensive/defensive schemes.
    As a matter of fact, there's STILL time to acquire Donnie Edwards!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

vikingbill50 is offline Starter

i agree, the players we are picking up now will not be starting right away, right now they are more like 3rd stringers as we also have good backups in place, i will say that i am concerned that other teams are interested in jason carter and we could lose him real easy..that would be a big loss..
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

majorvikesfan is offline Waterboy

Ya the Vikings are gonna be fine; our starters have been known for quite a while now. We are just adding more depth at certain positions which is always good.

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

What concerns me, and to a certain degree the author, is CHILDRESS spent several weeks / months creating an aoura around his new team and now you are bringing in quite a few people that were not involved in the team building excercises, etc.

The Vikes seem to be a lot more disciplined on the field and you know someone is gonna get injured, probably quite a few people are, and now you've gotta hope that this "new" person (who missed all the camps, etc.) has really assimulated the "mojo" or it can be a problem.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

vikingbill50 is offline Starter

so why do you think just because your more disciplined that your gonna get hurt or there is gonna be alot more injuries, all teams need discipline if they wanna succeed and hey, its the nfl, players and all of us know, anyone can get hurt at anytime, thats the chance you take when you play..
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Great point on the starters..........

I was also worried a bit, but I think I have seen the light, for instance, both the backups at RB and QB are still young and aren't old has beens (unlike Pinkston) and should be able to contribute.

I see this as a team still rebuilding around its core team.
    We will do good this year, make the playoffs and continue to build for the future vice breaking the bank for today.

We are on the way up fellow Vikings Fans.
    I have been cheering for this team since 1961 (the year they formed and I was born ) and believe we will win a championship soon.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast