Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Challenges facing the '06 Vikings

"Deadly_Diabetic" wrote:
    I'm with most everyone else on this post, I see a 9-7 season. If the system had been here all along, such that it was only our rookies who were learning a boatload of new information, then I could see a better record but I just think there are too many things that need to come together and gel to have a double-digit win season.
    Seems to me all of a sudden people are happy around here if we finish 9-7, when last year it wasn't close to being good enough. :scratch:

Last year, these same content people were bitching & calling for Tice's head when he delivered a 9-7 season.

I for one won't be satisfied with a 9-7 season. We made to many improvements to stay at the same level. We haven't stepped back, we've stepped forward.

Oh sure, you can throw the "we have a new offense & defensive scheme" this year as an excuse, but I for one say "bullshit".

1. Tomlins defense is sure to be less confusing & easier to grasp than Cottrell threw at us last year. As I recall, the defense didn't even "gel" until around mid-season when Tice tore half the plays out of Cottrells defense.

2. It also seems to me our offense took quite an adjustment mid-season as well. We went from Culpepper throwing the long ball to a ball controlled offense WC style, when Brad stepped in, also around mid-season. There was also Loney with his confusing & dumfounded play calling as well..

All the scandals, injuries & changes & we still finished 9-7. But people weren’t happy. Now it appears it’s good enough for them ‘cause there is a new sheriff in town.

This year, it’s different. We will be playing the same type offense & defense all year long & despite the new systems, I think we will gel as a team much quicker than last year.

The big difference? The players have bought into what the new coaches are selling. They have bought into the training & bought into the offense & defensive schemes that we will be running. That means the attitude, the discipline & the desire to win are all in place, everyone is on the same page & we will be moving forward as a team.

The rock may start rolling slowly down the hill, but it will pick up speed as it goes along.

I’m still thinking a 11-5 season is still quite possible based on our schedule.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    "Braddock" wrote:
    "GFreeman44" wrote:
    Ah...the Vikings will be lucky if they go 8-8 this year. Lets not overhype them..
    ah, this kid only has 8 posts. Let's not overhype him...
    It doesn't matter if he has 8 or 8,000 posts. We don't, or at least I don't, treat a person or their post any differently based on post count.

Most of us here are Vikings fans & we are all on the same plane. We are all here sharing our opinion & love for the vikings.

Sometimes we agree, sometimes we disagree. That's what makes this site what it is.
    While what you say rings true, I'd like you to think of it this way; How would you react at a home game tailgate party if some guy (in Vikings gear) walks up to your group and says that the Vikings will not win the game?

Exactly.

Formo is offline Team Alumni

Good posts.. I'm with almost all of you when it comes down to how the Vikes are going to end up. At worst, 9-7. Best, 11-5. I hope for 16-0, but that's every year.

I'm excited about the latest signing of FS Smith (can't recall his first name ATM) and our defense. I'm also excited about BJ staying healthy all year behind one of the best OLines (on paper) in the NFL. Don't forget Chester Taylor either.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

"so-cal vike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Braddock" wrote:
    "GFreeman44" wrote:
    Ah...the Vikings will be lucky if they go 8-8 this year. Lets not overhype them..
    It doesn't matter if he has 8 or 8,000 posts. We don't, or at least I don't, treat a person or their post any differently based on post count.

Most of us here are Vikings fans & we are all on the same plane. We are all here sharing our opinion & love for the vikings.

Sometimes we agree, sometimes we disagree. That's what makes this site what it is.
    While what you say rings true, I'd like you to think of it this way; How would you react at a home game tailgate party if some guy (in Vikings gear) walks up to your group and says that the Vikings will not win the game?

Exactly.
    If it was a Vikings fan dressed in Vikings gear.........

I would ask him what his reasoning is behind his claim.

If it was a cheesedick dressed in Packer gear...........

I'd kick his ass!.

"singersp" wrote:
    Seems to me all of a sudden people are happy around here if we finish 9-7, when last year it wasn't close to being good enough. :scratch:

I for one won't be satisfied with a 9-7 season. We made to many improvements to stay at the same level. We haven't stepped back, we've stepped forward.

The rock may start rolling slowly down the hill, but it will pick up speed as it goes along.

I agree, 9-7 is just not an acceptable record.

My cracked crystal ball says 13-3 with losses against Seattle, New England, and I'll even give one to Chicago.

I'll be happy with nothing less than the division title.

"singersp" wrote:
    "so-cal vike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Braddock" wrote:
    "GFreeman44" wrote:

Exactly.
    I would ask him what his reasoning is behind his claim.
    Okay, but how you say it makes all the difference.

singersp on PP.O: Why would you say such a thing? :angel7:

singersp in person: WTF? You better have a d*mn good reason for opening your mouth punk! :evil:

:wink:

"singersp" wrote:
    "Deadly_Diabetic" wrote:
    I'm with most everyone else on this post, I see a 9-7 season. If the system had been here all along, such that it was only our rookies who were learning a boatload of new information, then I could see a better record but I just think there are too many things that need to come together and gel to have a double-digit win season.

Last year, these same content people were bitching & calling for Tice's head when he delivered a 9-7 season.

Oh sure, you can throw the "we have a new offense & defensive scheme" this year as an excuse, but I for one say "kaka del toro".

1. Tomlins defense is sure to be less confusing & easier to grasp than Cottrell threw at us last year. As I recall, the defense didn't even "gel" until around mid-season when Tice tore half the plays out of Cottrells defense.

2. It also seems to me our offense took quite an adjustment mid-season as well. We went from Culpepper throwing the long ball to a ball controlled offense WC style, when Brad stepped in, also around mid-season. There was also Loney with his confusing & dumfounded play calling as well..

All the scandals, injuries & changes & we still finished 9-7. But people weren’t happy. Now it appears it’s good enough for them ‘cause there is a new sheriff in town.

This year, it’s different. We will be playing the same type offense & defense all year long & despite the new systems, I think we will gel as a team much quicker than last year.

The big difference? The players have bought into what the new coaches are selling. They have bought into the training & bought into the offense & defensive schemes that we will be running. That means the attitude, the discipline & the desire to win are all in place, everyone is on the same page & we will be moving forward as a team.

I think I qualified exactly why I think we are going to have a sub double-digit season this year and whether you want to buy into or not the stats say that with new coaching regimes (ESPECIALLY coaching regimes with no previous experience) the likelihood of success is not that great. So having a winning season, of which 9-7 is, is still statistically unlikely; however, I think that with the talent and the schedule we will pull it off. Every job has a learning curve no matter how prepared you think you are; therefore, I'm lowering my expectations slightly considering we have first time HC, DC & OC. It's not being wishy-washy, it's just history and science. There's nothing wrong with practical expectations.

I would LOVE to be wrong on this!! Honestly, I would eat crow everyday with a bib and a smile for a twelve win season!!!
    The Betic Always Gets His Shot!

"Deadly_Diabetic" wrote:
    I would LOVE to be wrong on this!! Honestly, I would eat crow everyday with a bib and a smile for a twelve win season!!!
    I'm going to hold you to that one! :grin: :wink:

Dennis Green 1992, 11-5

It may not be the norm, but it's entirely possible.

"singersp" wrote:
    "Deadly_Diabetic" wrote:
    I'm going to hold you to that one! :grin: :wink:

Dennis Green 1992, 11-5

It may not be the norm, but it's entirely possible.
    If so, it will be the tastiest crow I will have ever eaten!! :lol: :wink:
    The Betic Always Gets His Shot!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345